The Student Room Group

Complimenting girls

Girls, what do you like being complimented on? I always worry it'll come off as unnatural and awkward, but if you're having a laugh is complimenting her smile or laugh a good way of "impressing" in a way? Or are things like general clothing, hair etc better received? I always flirt but never know how to make a sincere compliment and I don't like giving too many feelings away.
Reply 1
Compliment their weight. They love it.
Compliment them on their kneecaps.
Intelligence or something non physical. I mean I like to be complimented on my body, but it often comes over as a cliche and not very honest..
Tell her she's beautiful and all that clichè stuff, but also compliment her on her traits or some cheesy stuff like that. for example she may be good at the paino and so lots of people will tell her 'oh bravo, you're really good at playing the piano' but you can be special and be more sincere by complimenting the trait (hard worker, diligent, smart etc) that enabled her to become such a bonefied pro at playing the piano :u:lol, but hey, what do I know? :h:
Compliment her fashion
say she smells nice
Complementing them on the eyebrows and lips
Reply 8
Original post by Ninjakam119
Compliment them on their kneecaps.

Don't wanna give away my knee fetish straight away smh
Smile is way too cheesy, so is laugh. It says "I fancy you and am going about telling you in a really cliched way".

Telling a girl she is beautiful will be well received if you are already with her in a relationship, or far along in a kind of flirting dynamic that it's obviously heading that way.

But otherwise I think the golden rule is your compliments need to be authentic and not be the kind of thing you say to everybody, and also you shouldn't just compliment a girl because you want something in return.

With girls who I am friends with I will comment if I like their clothes, if there's a fashion angle, because they know I like fashion and put effort in to how I dress so it is a good point of conversation. But if a girl's wearing a low cut top or short skirt I'm not going to comment on that specifically as it looks a bit sleazy.

But generally I'm more likely to give a girl a compliment on something that isn't about appearance like if she's does music or singing or has a blog or posts pics of stuff she's baked or embroidered or whatever. Also that's a good way to get to chat about her hobbies and stuff. But always remember if she likes it and then chats to you more thats a good thing but it shouldn't be why you do it as that makes it not authentic.
First compliment them on achievements. Like 'you did x really well', or 'you've worked really hard at x'. They might be more receptive if it isn't entirely sexual off the bat.

Then compliment them on stuff like their qualities e.g. intellect. You know them better so obviously you can say things about their traits with evidence supporting it. I mean, you can't do to some random chick and say she's smart when she is in fact... not. Lying is a massive turn off. :wink:

Then calling her hot and stuff. Maybe fashion and make up and stuff if it's obviously something they work hard on.

Personally I like any compliment pretty much (unless it's untrue), but that's because I never get complimented lol.
I find cliche compliments a little uncomfortable, and love it when guys compliment my boobs or bum but in a joking way. However saying I have a nice smile is always good.
Just be sincere. Best if it's not a cliched one.
Reply 13
Depends but it has to be not just "Oh, I think your beautiful.." or too sexual like…. so not really cliche but, then again, it does depend on your relationship with the individual and her take towards you and/or the relationship.
Original post by Athena64
First compliment them on achievements. Like 'you did x really well', or 'you've worked really hard at x'. They might be more receptive if it isn't entirely sexual off the bat.

Then compliment them on stuff like their qualities e.g. intellect. You know them better so obviously you can say things about their traits with evidence supporting it. I mean, you can't do to some random chick and say she's smart when she is in fact... not. Lying is a massive turn off. :wink:

Then calling her hot and stuff. Maybe fashion and make up and stuff if it's obviously something they work hard on.

Personally I like any compliment pretty much (unless it's untrue), but that's because I never get complimented lol.

Ah so like she tells me what subjects she's doing or what degree she's looking to get and I say "well you always used to be good at ..." and then just flirt a bit instead of giving compliments
Original post by Gracieee123
I find cliche compliments a little uncomfortable, and love it when guys compliment my boobs or bum but in a joking way. However saying I have a nice smile is always good.

In a joking way? Just out of curiosity...
complimenting their hair, smile. outfit or just her look in general and she'll love it
try to compliment something that makes her unique or that is more her style or something which she obviously has taken a lot of effort to do....like a hairstyle or something
don't compliment them on their shirt - last night that didn't work that well.
it was one of those awkward walks home with a girl where you're there saying "nah? nahhh" when you make it clearer that you're hitting on her. kind of embarrassing to be honest. she wasn't even that good - just some dumpy blob with an all right face - I was bored and annoyed that all of my friends had pulled.
also, saying "come 'aaaaannnn" only makes it worse :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending