The Student Room Group

core 1 question ?

The gradient of the line perpendicular to 2y=cx-3 is -2. Find C?
Original post by Chelsea12345

Yeah, so if the gradient perp to this line is -2, then the gradient of this line must be 1/2. Get this line in the form of y=mx+c then do m=1/2 and solve for c.

1. Rewrite in the form y=mx+cy=mx+c
2. Use the fact that if two perp. lines have gradients m1,m2m_1,m_2 then m1m2=1m_1 m_2=-1
Rearrange equation into the form y=mx+c, input your gradient into the equation (it will not be -2, rather the reciprocal) and then you should get a value for c.
Original post by RDKGames
Yeah, so if the gradient perp to this line is -2, then the gradient of this line must be 1/2. Get this line in the form of y=mx+c then do m=1/2 and solve for c.

i got the first bit but how do i solve for C? do i put the gradient back into the equation or something?
i got the first bit but how do i solve for C? do i put the gradient back into the equation or something?

You create a linear equation with C being the only unknown and you solve for it. No substitution needed.
Original post by RDKGames
You create a linear equation with C being the only unknown and you solve for it. No substitution needed.

Thankyou!
Original post by natsciguy
A line perpendicular to a line always has a negative reciprocal gradient.

If the gradient of the line is -2, then the negative reciprocal is -1/-2 or 1/2.

To get the equation in standard form (y=mx+c) we must divide through by 2 to get y=c/2x-1.

As c/2 is the gradient (as it is the coefficient of x) then 1/2=c/2. Therefore c=1.

Full solutions are not allowed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest