The Student Room Group

DJgnsgsmyeywajr ywtwkktqkqtktq

. .
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Datalwo
I want to study computer science at university and I am taking Use of Maths, Computer Science and Electronics at A level. Since a lot of the good universities tend to ask for an A level in maths and not use of maths do you think I should self-teach it as a 4th A level? I was unable to take maths at A level as I achieved a grade B but I was allowed to take Use of Maths. Would I struggle if I started now since I'll also be starting late? Any advice? By the way, I need to catch up with my other A levels as I started late too. Thanks.

Its been 6 weeks at school and we have already covered all the content for the first exam. Its definitely a step up from a level but if you really put the effort in, it would probably be worth it as long as you can be entered for the actual exams
Original post by Datalwo
I want to study computer science at university and I am taking Use of Maths, Computer Science and Electronics at A level. Since a lot of the good universities tend to ask for an A level in maths and not use of maths do you think I should self-teach it as a 4th A level? I was unable to take maths at A level as I achieved a grade B but I was allowed to take Use of Maths. Would I struggle if I started now since I'll also be starting late? Any advice? By the way, I need to catch up with my other A levels as I started late too. Thanks.

No big deal to be honest you should be fine. Could you speak to head of sixth from or form tutor? Say you absoultly need it and and will do it privately regardless. I don't know is this a school you went to before? As for the other stuff you should half-term coming up if you work in this week intensely you should be fine. I joined my Economics class in November and caught up like in a week :smile:
Original post by Datalwo
Thanks and they won't allow me to do it. I'll work hard this half term to catch up too. :smile:

did you speak to no-one? Did you try get your parents in? Hows your repuatation like? also you didnt answer the question are you a internal or external student? I am asking all these questions to give you a good solution.

AS maths involves C1,C2 and an applied module I would recommend you look at S1 or D1.

Also if you do well in AS maths would they let you into A2?
I would think deeply about whether self teaching is something that you have the strength to do. There will be topics that you will not understand, especially in C3 and C4. This means that you will have to do as much research until you do, rather than being able to rely on a teacher to teach you. You could hire a tutor for maths that could help you with these topics and get you up to scratch. For A Level Maths you have 4 core modules, and you take two in the first year (C1 and C2) and you also have 2 other modules of your choice and you take one each year. These can be mechanics, statistics or decision. I would suggest taking out a core 1 book from your library and seeing if you think the content is bearable. The best method of revision for maths is by far past papers, you will struggle to run out. Good luck. TSR is also here to help with maths if you need it!
Original post by slowdive
I would think deeply about whether self teaching is something that you have the strength to do. There will be topics that you will not understand, especially in C3 and C4. This means that you will have to do as much research until you do, rather than being able to rely on a teacher to teach you. You could hire a tutor for maths that could help you with these topics and get you up to scratch. For A Level Maths you have 4 core modules, and you take two in the first year (C1 and C2) and you also have 2 other modules of your choice and you take one each year. These can be mechanics, statistics or decision. I would suggest taking out a core 1 book from your library and seeing if you think the content is bearable. The best method of revision for maths is by far past papers, you will struggle to run out. Good luck. TSR is also here to help with maths if you need it!

great advice as well as exam solutions.net
Original post by Datalwo

Give this a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZswvlLr4
Original post by Datalwo

You will have to put a lot of effort in if you decide to do it now. Also, you might want to make the decision a bit quicker because you will have to cover a lot of content.
Original post by Epistemolog y
great advice as well as exam solutions.net

Oh yeah, I used it a few times. Like Epistemolog said, avoid M1 unless you do Physics AS. M1 isn't actually hard but decision is easy without any background knowledge of the module.
Original post by Datalwo
Thanks very much. I'll have a look at some of the content to see what I think. I could always hire a tutor to help me out if I need extra help. :smile:

I surprisingly am self teaching so if you need help pm me. I did however do 2 years of maths before. It is very do-able.
Reply 10

Sure, I'll check it out. Thanks.
Reply 11
Original post by Epistemolog y
I surprisingly am self teaching so if you need help pm me. I did however do 2 years of maths before. It is very do-able.

Thank you very much. I'll let you know if I need help. :smile:
Original post by Datalwo
Yeah I will decide before the half term and use the holiday to do as much as I can.

That's ok then. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by SM6
That's ok then. Good luck! :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
I heard someone say D1 is easy. It's a MF module IMO.

Anyway, AS maths is easy. 3-4 month job if you self teach with teachers help and if you're semi-decent at maths in general.

Quick Reply

Latest