The Student Room Group

Anyone else detest feminism?

Scroll to see replies

There are 3 types of feminists
Liberal, Marxist and radical.
I agree about Emma Watson but there R people who accuracy care.

I would say that I am a liberal feminist but I do want there to be a change

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by DraculaMihawk
Makes my eyes roll when I see privileged rich, white women like Emma Watson, Lena Dunham and Taylor Swift speak about feminism. It's pathetic.

Who made the tax-avoiding, famous-because-of-her-parent's-connections, Emma Watson the spokesperson for feminism? She is the embodiment of privilege.

No. Nobody else dislikes feminism. You're the one exception. How very strange you are. XD
Original post by Banxi
2. Rape culture is non-existent in the U.K. Despite being proven not guilty Ched Evans has still been widely condemned and will likely never be accepted by large parts of society. The largest sexual violence organisation in the US (RAINN) have dismissed the idea of 'rape culture' yet you still pretend that mainstream media and the masses glorify rapists. It's gotten to the point where people believe that someone claiming they've been raped should take precedence over the presumption of innocence. So maybe we do have a rape culture but if we do then it's the opposite to the myth perpetuated by many feminists (that's a lesson in how to make a statement without making sweeping generalisations, something some feminists seem to enjoy).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are women often exiled and bullied for testifying if it's against someone they know then? And why is it so hard to convict someone for rape in the U.K.?

NOT looking for an argument but disagree too strongly not to say anything :smile:

Exiled? Typical feminist argument, widespread myth with no actual evidence.

As for the low conviction rate I would have thought that's obvious; we have a presumption of innocence and when it's one persons word against another how can you convict?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MGTOW
I have far better things to do than detest feminism.
I am a feminist. I don't like all the over the top 'feminazi' stuff and while it's good they speak about current issues, I think speakers could often be chosen better to represent us average women. It sounds more like you don't like the current state of it than what it actually means to be a feminist though. They are very different things when it comes down to it
Original post by Anonymous9753
These men and women who support them are all about dominating the women. Its about who cares if we whistle? Make comments?

Catcalling is firstly not sexist and why do feminist call a monopoly on it? It happens to men as well.

Deny them work because their a woman and may become pregnant. Or because they are pregnant.

There's no evidence to support this nonsense. Even if there were it makes economic sense; why would I employ someone knowing I have to give them a year off work and still pay them when I could employ someone who won't need that year off?

That many women get paid less as a man for the same job. Every pound a man makes a woman will make 80p.

Really? The pay gap has been explained away over and over again but it seems a lot of people have selective hearing. Men pursue jobs in better paid industries, are more likely to ask for pay rises and promotions, work longer hours, prioritise salary and work more dangerous jobs.

One in 250 woman suffer from an eating disorder but who cares if we repeatedly put out these bikini bodies ads, say that one body is better then the rest, body image issues are a major problem.

So there aren't adverts for idealised male bodies? Men are put under the same pressure. Male eating disorders are on the rise. I can't discuss the issue of mental health without mentioning how men are three times for likely to commit suicide.

Women dont want to be seen as objects of beauty. Women are humans too with a brain a mind thoughts of their own.

So women don't look at men and admire beauty? What a ridiculous point.

Its about freedom. And for those who label all feminists or think of this word as soon as the term comes up- 'man hater' wants to rid of men, be above men; this is just false.

The aim of feminism to eradicate all areas in which women are disadvantaged, if that were to happen all that would be left would be male disadvantage meaning men would be inferior. This argument that feminism is about equality is outdated in the west.

Are you afraid that you wont be able to harrass women at work or school anymore?

No because like most men I don't sexually harass people.

And those who say its all sorted now since the equality laws were introduced, wage equality is not the only problem.

Wage equality isn't a problem at all (see above).

And yes it still happens. Just like some businesses or employers dont pay their stuff the minium wage even though its the law.

Well then that woman should report her employer. This idea though is quite laughable, surely if companies could get away with paying women less they'd only employ women to generate more net profit?

And rape. Are you really for raping a women? The defenition of rape is having sexual intercourse without a persons consent. A persons consent. Hear?. If they say no, it means no. If they refuse the first time and then say yes reluctantly it means no. If their drunk they are not in a condition to give consent. So its not a yes ok?

You're simply proving my point; rape isn't a result of sexism it's merely a problem that women are more likely to be victim of. But yes let's talk about rape. If a woman 'reluctantly' says yes, it means yes. I know no doesn't mean yes but now you're saying yes doesn't mean yes? I'm really lost. You also misdefined rape, it actually means penile penetration of the mouth anus or vagina meaning that if a woman forces a man into sex she'll receive a lesser sentence but that fair isn't it? The man shouldn't have been such a wimp or he should man up and enjoy it.

And domestic violence. A major problem.

Another problem not created by sexism, but thank you for yet again proving feminism is concerned with issue predominantly faced by women, not equality. Again let's discuss domestic violence. Despite men making up one third of victims there are fifty times as many refugee spaces available for women but again some guys just need to man up don't they? Shall we add child abuse into this? Shall we mention that the only study carried out in the western world found that mothers were 2.4 times more likely to murder their child than fathers?

Yes some of these problems face men. But a higher number of women face these problems. Feminism is equality for women. It focuses on women because women between men and women are facing more harassments and dicrimination. Not that it doesnt happen to men. http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/6760390
its also about girls being encouraged to do more 'female' subjects and boys masculine. Yes these are gender issues facing us today. And they do exist. Maybe you dont see it. But doesnt mean its non existent.https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3632/New-global-poll-reveals-the-top-5-workplace-challenges-facing-G20-women.aspx
http://ukfeminista.org.uk/take-action/facts-and-statistics-on-gender-inequality/

You really need to understand that everyone has problems yet feminists seem to call a monopoly on it and blame everything on the evil white cis males. Stop reading buzz feed and huffington post and actually think for yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Catcalling is firstly not sexist and why do feminist call a monopoly on it? It happens to men as well.

There's no evidence to support this nonsense. Even if there were it makes economic sense; why would I employ someone knowing I have to give them a year off work and still pay them when I could employ someone who won't need that year off?

Really? The pay gap has been explained away over and over again but it seems a lot of people have selective hearing. Men pursue jobs in better paid industries, are more likely to ask for pay rises and promotions, work longer hours, prioritise salary and work more dangerous jobs.

So there aren't adverts for idealised male bodies? Men are put under the same pressure. Male eating disorders are on the rise. I can't discuss the issue of mental health without mentioning how men are three times for likely to commit suicide.

So women don't look at men and admire beauty? What a ridiculous point.

The aim of feminism to eradicate all areas in which women are disadvantaged, if that were to happen all that would be left would be male disadvantage meaning men would be inferior. This argument that feminism is about equality is outdated in the west.

No because like most men I don't sexually harass people.

Wage equality isn't a problem at all (see above).

Well then that woman should report her employer. This idea though is quite laughable, surely if companies could get away with paying women less they'd only employ women to generate more net profit?

You're simply proving my point; rape isn't a result of sexism it's merely a problem that women are more likely to be victim of. But yes let's talk about rape. If a woman 'reluctantly' says yes, it means yes. I know no doesn't mean yes but now you're saying yes doesn't mean yes? I'm really lost. You also misdefined rape, it actually means penile penetration of the mouth anus or vagina meaning that if a woman forces a man into sex she'll receive a lesser sentence but that fair isn't it? The man shouldn't have been such a wimp or he should man up and enjoy it.

Another problem not created by sexism, but thank you for yet again proving feminism is concerned with issue predominantly faced by women, not equality. Again let's discuss domestic violence. Despite men making up one third of victims there are fifty times as many refugee spaces available for women but again some guys just need to man up don't they? Shall we add child abuse into this? Shall we mention that the only study carried out in the western world found that mothers were 2.4 times more likely to murder their child than fathers?

You really need to understand that everyone has problems yet feminists seem to call a monopoly on it and blame everything on the evil white cis males. Stop reading buzz feed and huffington post and actually think for yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

You just proved my point. Catcalling and not hiring pregnant women is sexist. Its because of capitalism and patriarchy that this is justified. And if you think female difficulties being got rid off leads to male disadvantage you are sexist. Most women do not like being sexually harassed and would like society to view them as humans and not objects of desire. The pay gap, wage inequality etc is not a myth but has multiple evidence for it if you care to actually read. And its not right for a man to be told to man up or a woman to have her sexual history be reffered to in court. Society's roles of women are degrading, and im afraid it happens multiple times more then to men. Like catcalling sexual harassment is degrading, so too are all these factors effecting women. I suggest you go read about these problems because women face a tide of problems.
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/calling-********-on-the-men-who-think-the-pay-gap-is-a-myth
(edited 7 years ago)
You just proved my point. Catcalling and not hiring pregnant women is sexist. Its because of capitalism and patriarchy that this is justified.

If you actually read what I said you'll see that I say women don't get refused jobs because they might get pregnant. If they did capitalism alone justifies it.

How did I prove your point that catcalling is sexist?

And if you think female difficulties being got rid off leads to male disadvantage you are sexist.

Clearly you have difficulty understanding this very simple idea so let me make it very simple. If, for example, women are disadvantaged in 100 areas and men are disadvantaged in just 1, if feminism is successful in eradicating those 100 areas of female disadvantage the one area of male disadvantage will be left, meaning men will be second class citizens.

Most women do not like being sexually harassed and would like society to view them as humans and not objects of desire.

So you ignored me when I said most men don't sexually harass and women also look at men for beauty?

The pay gap, wage inequality etc is not a myth but has multiple evidence for it if you care to actually read.

It has number that show it exists, feminists have taken it upon themselves to claim this proves sexist when really there's no evidence to suggest that's the case. When choice of job, career motivations and degree subject are factored in the gap pretty much closes.

And its not right for a man to be told to man up or a woman to have her sexual history be reffered to in court.

That's been banned since 1999, Evans was the only exception I know of, so don't make out as though it happens every day.

Society's roles of women are degrading, and im afraid it happens multiple times more then to men. Like catcalling sexual harassment is degrading, so too are all these factors effecting women. I suggest you go read about these problems because women face a tide of problems.
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/calling-********-on-the-men-who-think-the-pay-gap-is-a-myth

Surprisingly you've still given no evidence or statistics just an article from vice (which doesn't work) but I'll pose some questions for you:

How is it fair that if a man forces a woman into sex he's liable to up to life in prison but if a woman forces a man she can only receive a maximum sentence of ten years?

How is it fair that the default position on the custody of children is with their mother despite the fact studies have shown mothers are more likely to murder their children?

How is it fair that young white males today don't have networking events created specifically for them (unlike women) simply because past generations of white males have been advantaged? The privilege of men in the 70's has no impact on me.

How is it fair that women receive lesser sentences for the same offences? Men are also more likely to be convicted of offences, it's so ridiculous that in the US the disparity of convictions is bigger between genders than it is between races.

How is fair that after conception a man has no choice on the foetus he has jointly created despite being responsible for the future child regardless of his feelings? I assume you'll come back with either 'it's a woman body, it's her choice' - this is wrong, a foetus is inside a woman's body, it is not her body. You might also say 'should have worn a condom' a woman could have also used contraception yet her choice isn't restricted.

How is fair that despite 1 in 3 domestic violence victims being men only 1 in 50 refuge beds are for men?

How is fair that men make up between 80 and 90 percent of the homeless population?

If the pay gap shows sexism what does the fact that men are more likely to be made redundant and less likely to be re-employed say?

No doubt you'll ignore these or give some half baked answers with no credible evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
If you actually read what I said you'll see that I say women don't get refused jobs because they might get pregnant. If they did capitalism alone justifies it.

How did I prove your point that catcalling is sexist?

Clearly you have difficulty understanding this very simple idea so let me make it very simple. If, for example, women are disadvantaged in 100 areas and men are disadvantaged in just 1, if feminism is successful in eradicating those 100 areas of female disadvantage the one area of male disadvantage will be left, meaning men will be second class citizens.

So you ignored me when I said most men don't sexually harass and women also look at men for beauty?

It has number that show it exists, feminists have taken it upon themselves to claim this proves sexist when really there's no evidence to suggest that's the case. When choice of job, career motivations and degree subject are factored in the gap pretty much closes.

That's been banned since 1999, Evans was the only exception I know of, so don't make out as though it happens every day.

Surprisingly you've still given no evidence or statistics just an article from vice (which doesn't work) but I'll pose some questions for you:

How is it fair that if a man forces a woman into sex he's liable to up to life in prison but if a woman forces a man she can only receive a maximum sentence of ten years?

How is it fair that the default position on the custody of children is with their mother despite the fact studies have shown mothers are more likely to murder their children?

How is it fair that young white males today don't have networking events created specifically for them (unlike women) simply because past generations of white males have been advantaged? The privilege of men in the 70's has no impact on me.

How is it fair that women receive lesser sentences for the same offences? Men are also more likely to be convicted of offences, it's so ridiculous that in the US the disparity of convictions is bigger between genders than it is between races.

How is fair that after conception a man has no choice on the foetus he has jointly created despite being responsible for the future child regardless of his feelings? I assume you'll come back with either 'it's a woman body, it's her choice' - this is wrong, a foetus is inside a woman's body, it is not her body. You might also say 'should have worn a condom' a woman could have also used contraception yet her choice isn't restricted.

How is fair that despite 1 in 3 domestic violence victims being men only 1 in 50 refuge beds are for men?

How is fair that men make up between 80 and 90 percent of the homeless population?

If the pay gap shows sexism what does the fact that men are more likely to be made redundant and less likely to be re-employed say?

No doubt you'll ignore these or give some half baked answers with no credible evidence.

I'm not saying men should be disadvantaged
And women should be superior yes men face many problems but the proboems faced by women are greater in terms of discrimination againdt sex. And your facts are wrong if you cared to read my sources or any other point of view youde see the other side of it. And unlike you im not denying at all men face problems ,feminism is clearly focused on the plight of women just like there are many groups who cater to one group. I believe that the stereotypes associated with men and women are wrong and they are then believed by people in society such as employers. You will clearly deny all the factors affecting women today and just use male problems to justify it. Theres no point in talking to someone who is just going to deny everything i say and ignore all my sources. I see no point.
http://www.gender-focus.com/2012/08/07/feminism-f-a-q-s-why-feminism-not-equalism-or-humanism/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
doyou not understand that saying that feminism is about equality is like saying the democratic people's republic of north korea is all about democracy? I mean, the feminist movement today is literally not about equality - what rights are women looking for? exactly. it's merely a movement of petty little girls wanting to hate men. it's pathetic. in an age and geography where there are no more problems women face, they can only invent more problems so that they aren't made totally irrelevant

By the same logic it can be argued that North Korea is Communist In Name Only or CINO; in fact any person educated on this subject matter would know that the Juche ideology is revisionism. And yet when arguing against communism you use NK as a model, for example:
Why hate feminism? It's just women asking for the same stuff men have. I do understand if you hate the overpowering aspect of it, where some women just detest men and use feminism to feel more superior to them
[QUOTE="Banxi;68102030"]
Original post by sleepysnooze
doyou not understand that saying that feminism is about equality is like saying the democratic people's republic of north korea is all about democracy? I mean, the feminist movement today is literally not about equality - what rights are women looking for? exactly. it's merely a movement of petty little girls wanting to hate men. it's pathetic. in an age where there are no more problems women face, they can only invent more problems so that they aren't made totally irrelevant[/QUOTE

feminismˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/noun

the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the EQUALITY of the sexes.

:confused:

The rights I can speak of, you will disregard (wanting equal pay, wanting not to be asked how you can work and take care of the kids, wanting opinions to be viewed as of equal value), so instead I will talk about the little things.

- Wanting not to be called 'bossy' every time they try to take charge
- Wanting not to be asked 'is it that time of the month?' at the slightest signs of anger or discontent
- Wanting not to have 'big tits! nice arse' etc. shouted at you by your peers around school
- Wanting not to have 'big tits! nice arse' etc. shouted at you by strangers as you go about your business
- Wanting not to be asked 'what were you wearing?' as the first reaction to telling someone you have been sexually assaulted
- Wanting the girls after us not to quit their sport because of body confidence problems (yes - this is not caused just by men but it is still a problem that girls face far more often than men)

Believe me, I could go on, but the fact that "boobies" is under your 'interests' section says a lot about your intelligence/maturity/take on sexism, so I know I won't be getting far in this!

And I don't hate men. Feminism is not about hating men, and it never has been.

it's literally such a shame that you reported me for "Inflammatory comments" (fyi, "get rekt" isn't me telling you to get wrecked, it's just an expression...too late now though huh.) when I replied because I'm just looking back at this comment and thinking that 100% of this is just so wrong that it hurts. I'm sure a few others like me will realise this and call you out on this nonsense though.
Original post by Orbital Rising
By the same logic it can be argued that North Korea is Communist In Name Only or CINO; in fact any person educated on this subject matter would know that the Juche ideology is revisionism. And yet when arguing against communism you use NK as a model, for example:
no. that hypothetical is now the story of north korea. at least romania is richer than north korea. because they became capitalist. to become capitalist is to release the incentives of the individual - that means that people will compete with others, both domestically and internationally, who also have incentives. that means that people will have a reason to generate wealth, because competiting with others means that you must create something *better* than something like in a communist society that simply "works". north korea is not a society of incentives. the only incentive there is to not die.

So I have a couple of suggestions for you:
1)Keep your logic consistent because this is embarrassing.
2)Stop typing in a stream of consciousness as though you're having a stroke.

you missed out the part where I compared the definitions and realities of feminism and liberalism - shame that you're having to cut off my points and then strawman me as only referring to NK...
1) what was I saying that was logically inconsistent?
2) sorry, what? instead of making use of logic, you're criticising my points based on my ****ing grammar now? :lol: so cute!
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm not saying men should be disadvantaged
And women should be superior yes men face many problems but the proboems faced by women are greater in terms of discrimination againdt sex. And your facts are wrong if you cared to read my sources or any other point of view youde see the other side of it. And unlike you im not denying at all men face problems ,feminism is clearly focused on the plight of women just like there are many groups who cater to one group. I believe that the stereotypes associated with men and women are wrong and they are then believed by people in society such as employers. You will clearly deny all the factors affecting women today and just use male problems to justify it. Theres no point in talking to someone who is just going to deny everything i say and ignore all my sources. I see no point.
http://www.gender-focus.com/2012/08/07/feminism-f-a-q-s-why-feminism-not-equalism-or-humanism/

Its amazing how you didn't respond to a single point I made and surmise with 'your facts are wrong' and then go on to talk about non-existent sources.

I've used to logic, reason and facts to counter everything you've said, you have nothing in response to what I've said so you're using a cop out line to save face.

The simple fact is feminism is about making women superior; there is no regard for mens problems and if feminism is successful women will be left with no disadvantage, leaving behind only male disadvantage. If one group of people are disadvantaged in 0 areas and another are disadvantaged in even one the group with no disadvantage are superior. It's is a very simple concept.
(edited 7 years ago)
I used to think feminism was so dumb until I realised I was just looking at it from the wrong angle, it seems that some people like Taylor Swift etc. only pull the feminism card when it suits them and are 'white feminists' but after researching it further feminism is not just 'man-hating'... I think detesting it isn't wrong but honestly a bit more education on the topic is helpful
Original post by Quantex
I'm fairly indifferent to feminism, although I do enjoy its ability to make its opponents very emotional.

lmao I agree, always fun to see the closeted neckbeards come out with the usual buzzwords :rofl:
Its amazing how you didn't respond to a single point I made and surmise with 'your facts are wrong' and then go on to talk about non-existent sources.

I've used to logic, reason and facts to counter everything you've said, you have nothing in response to what I've said so you're using a cop out line to save face.

The simple fact is feminism is about making women superior; there is no regard for mens problems and if feminism is successful women will be left with no disadvantage, leaving behind only male disadvantage. If one group of people are disadvantaged in 0 areas and another are disadvantaged in even one the group with no disadvantage are superior. It's is a very simple concept.

Just going to add this, feminism is the movement for equality between men and women. Many feminists are also members of others groups which campain for different causes. It is easier to narrow it down and make changes. You are simply repeating the one view of feminists many anti-feminists hold. That women want to be superior to men. Equality is not the act of being superior and above another group but simply equal. I can be a feminist and be a campaigner for male issues. http://www.payscale.com/career-news/2016/04/yes-the-gender-pay-gap-is-real-and-no-its-not-womens-fault
(edited 7 years ago)
Just going to add this, feminism is the movement for equality between men and women. Many feminists are also members of others groups which campain for different causes. It is easier to narrow it down and make changes. You are simply repeating the one view of feminists many anti-feminists hold. That women want to be superior to men. Equality is not the act of being superior and above another group but simply equal. I can be a feminist and be a campaigner for male issues.

How do you know many feminists are part of other groups? You can campaign for both but I've never seen any examples of this. Do you want to provide any sources for what you're saying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you know many feminists are part of other groups? You can campaign for both but I've never seen any examples of this. Do you want to provide any sources for what you're saying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why can't women be part of a organisation for their rights? Why does the subject always have to be passed onto male rights? This article is brilliant and i advise you to read it http://www.tikkun.org/tikkundaily/2014/10/15/catering-to-mens-rights-is-not-the-point-of-feminism/
yes feminism is focused on women issues but it also links closely to mens rights because it is trying to get rid of gender roles. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2015/mar/27/feminism-battle-sexes-womens-rights-men. All the feminists i know are for gender equality. Not superiority, which actually very little women believe in. Please stop diverting away from women issues by bringing male issues in. Yes male issues are definitely important but many of them stem from the patriarchal issue of masculinity and femininity. Let women be empowered. Because women face a much harder time under this system then men do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending