The Student Room Group

Pain in lower ribcage? Scared. Help mrs holmes.

Okay so it all started last night when I could not take a proper deep cleansed breath...and then my right side (under breast) ribcage began hurting every time I took a deep breath.

It stayed that way all day today.

Now I'm getting random stabbing pains in my lower left rib cage.

I'm scared. What could this be? Has anyone felt this before? :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That happened to me and I had a collapsed lung. Go to the doctors or get an x-ray at the hospital.
Original post by NotNotBatman
That happened to me and I had a collapsed lung. Go to the doctors or get an x-ray at the hospital.

:frown: oh gosh.

How bad was the pain on a scale of 1-10? How long did you have it for before you visited the doctor?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:frown: oh gosh.

How bad was the pain on a scale of 1-10? How long did you have it for before you visited the doctor?

Around 9, everywhere from my shoulder to my lower ribcage was hurting, breathing and walking increased the pain. It started in the evening around 6pm and I went to the doctor the next morning.
Reply 4
Costochondritis.
Around 9, everywhere from my shoulder to my lower ribcage was hurting, breathing and walking increased the pain. It started in the evening around 6pm and I went to the doctor the next morning.

oh :frown:

Erm it's not 9, I would say it's a 4.

Everything doesn't hurt. It only kind of hurts when I take a deep breath and I can feel random pains when I'm sitting down. But, I'm still scared because y'know I'm a crazy hypochondriac. :frown:
Original post by stefano865
Costochondritis.

That is what google said :frown:
oh :frown:

Erm it's not 9, I would say it's a 4.

Everything doesn't hurt. It only kind of hurts when I take a deep breath and I can feel random pains when I'm sitting down. But, I'm still scared because y'know I'm a crazy hypochondriac. :frown:

Well, you can't find out online, you'll have to visit the doctor, they might just send you to the hospital like they did to me, so it may be better going there first. Hopefully it's not too serious.
I've experienced something similar but only for short bursts at a time.
Maybe 4-5 deep breaths.

I can't say for sure what it is though I'm afraid.
But it passed without me doing anything.

But if it's still there in the morning, defo go see a doctor about it!

Hope it stops soon!
:hugs:
Reply 9
That is what google said :frown:

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
Well, you can't find out online, you'll have to visit the doctor, they might just send you to the hospital like they did to me, so it may be better going there first. Hopefully it's not too serious.

Well I better go shave my legs if I'm going to have a collapsed lung operation :bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

Original post by stefano865
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

:frown: I'm scared. :frown:
Original post by FireFreezer77
I've experienced something similar but only for short bursts at a time.
Maybe 4-5 deep breaths.

I can't say for sure what it is though I'm afraid.
But it passed without me doing anything.

But if it's still there in the morning, defo go see a doctor about it!

Hope it stops soon!
:hugs:

I'm so sad :frown:
I hope it's not serious :frown:

Thankyou! :frown:
Okay so it all started last night when I could not take a proper deep cleansed breath...and then my right side (under breast) ribcage began hurtingt every time I took a deep breath.

It stayed that way all day today.

Now I'm getting random stabbing pains in my lower left rib cage.

I'm scared. What could this be? Has anyone felt this before? :frown:

I get similar problems with chest infections sometimes, especially my most recent one. You can call 111 and see what they say, although my bet is they'll call an ambulance (they tend to if they hear chest and pain), or get an emergency appointment with your GP tomorrow
Well I better go shave my legs if I'm going to have a collapsed lung operation :bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

Any other symptoms?
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I get similar problems with chest infections sometimes, especially my most recent one. You can call 111 and see what they say, although my bet is they'll call an ambulance (they tend to if they hear chest and pain), or get an emergency appointment with your GP tomorrow

Did you get anything to treat it?

I honestly don't think it's serious enough for an ambulance, but if it doesn't pass by tomorrow then I'm going straight to the doctors on Thursday.

:rofl: Loving the girly reaction. It could be lots of things but when I had a collapsed lung from a massive pleural effusion it did hurt a lot more as the above said, plus I never had to take my trousers off so your legs should be fine :wink: it just depends on what exactly everything is.

Pneumonia hurt a lot less but had similar pains, same with a mass in the lung and a viral infection...its all six of one half a dozen of another until you get scanned and tested.
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm sure they won't take a look at your legs, should that happen. Don't be too agitated.
Reply 17
Don't ask the internet - Internet's answer is always cancer.

See a doctor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you get anything to treat it?

I honestly don't think it's serious enough for an ambulance, but if it doesn't pass by tomorrow then I'm going straight to the doctors on Thursday.

Just antibiotics. I was already on steroids because I'd had an asthma attack two days before, and I had one at the hospital :laugh: Out of the 4 times I've called 111 for myself, twice they've sent an ambulance. They tried to send one a third time but I refused lol and the other time I ended up with an emergency GP at midnight. They do really err on the side of caution, but they have to I guess. That sounds like a good plan
Original post by Jennie1987
:rofl: Loving the girly reaction. It could be lots of things but when I had a collapsed lung from a massive pleural effusion it did hurt a lot more as the above said, plus I never had to take my trousers off so your legs should be fine :wink: it just depends on what exactly everything is.

Pneumonia hurt a lot less but had similar pains, same with a mass in the lung and a viral infection...its all six of one half a dozen of another until you get scanned and tested.

Tbh I've had a similar thing (without the stabbing pains) before. It went away on it's own...

Actually I think I made a thread about it then too -_-

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3983779

This isn't as bad as that was, but it feels a tiny bit similar.

Quick Reply