The Student Room Group

Medicine Interviews 2017

Scroll to see replies

All my hopeful medical schools that I have applied to that interview use MMI.

I'm really worried, I'm always told by everyone that I will muck up the interview!!!
But good luck to everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeff458(#17)
All my hopeful medical schools that I have applied to that interview use MMI.

I'm really worried, I'm always told by everyone that I will muck up the interview!!!
But good luck to everyone :smile:

Where are you applying? Just wondering if you've changed your mind.
Reply 22
Original post by Jeff458(#17)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why does everyone say that?
Original post by swopnil
Yeah, hopefully we will both get in this year! I got interviews from Bristol, Manchester and Imperial last year.

All great unis! Did they give you any feedback? I only managed to get feedback from UCL, Barts and Exeter didn't give any unfortunately.
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
All great unis! Did they give you any feedback? I only managed to get feedback from UCL, Barts and Exeter didn't give any unfortunately.

At Imperial I was in the WP band (as I found out later) so my chances of getting in was quite low anyway and they said that I was 'moderate' in majority of the criteria. I think the bulk of my interview went well and everything, but I felt I had a really bad first impression because I had this massive bottle with me and it got really awkward at the start when they were teasing me about it (do not misunderstand me, the interviewers were all super nice tho).

Manchester gave me individual scores for the criteria they test at the interview and told me that I didn't quite meet the cut off which was devastating. What was strange about Manchester was that I had scored 4 or 5 out of 6 in most of the criteria but like 2/6 in things like hobbies and interest. But I swear they never asked me any questions for those. I am not being pretentious but I think what happened was that they were supposed to ask me those questions in one of station which talked about my 'non academic form' but we ran out of time so he just blindly gave me this terrible score. I wasn't impressed. The cut off was 4.3 average and I got 4.

Bristol was just super competitive last year being the only universities not requiting any admissions test so I wasn't surprised. I think all stations went really good apart from 1 but the cut off was just way too high. I'm applying to Bristol again so hopefully I have improved my application and interview skills enough to rise to the competition.
Original post by swopnil
At Imperial I was in the WP band (as I found out later) so my chances of getting in was quite low anyway and they said that I was 'moderate' in majority of the criteria. I think the bulk of my interview went well and everything, but I felt I had a really bad first impression because I had this massive bottle with me and it got really awkward at the start when they were teasing me about it (do not misunderstand me, the interviewers were all super nice tho).

Manchester gave me individual scores for the criteria they test at the interview and told me that I didn't quite meet the cut off which was devastating. What was strange about Manchester was that I had scored 4 or 5 out of 6 in most of the criteria but like 2/6 in things like hobbies and interest. But I swear they never asked me any questions for those. I am not being pretentious but I think what happened was that they were supposed to ask me those questions in one of station which talked about my 'non academic form' but we ran out of time so he just blindly gave me this terrible score. I wasn't impressed. The cut off was 4.3 average and I got 4.

Bristol was just super competitive last year being the only universities not requiting any admissions test so I wasn't surprised. I think all stations went really good apart from 1 but the cut off was just way too high. I'm applying to Bristol again so hopefully I have improved my application and interview skills enough to rise to the competition.

Thanks for the reply! Ah damn such a shame about Manchester, you were so close! Yeah unfortunately Bristol is competitive every year. It's good that you've had an interview last year though so you know what to expect.:smile: Best of luck with your application this year, I'm sure you'll get in this time round! :biggrin:
Thanks for the reply! Ah damn such a shame about Manchester, you were so close! Yeah unfortunately Bristol is competitive every year. It's good that you've had an interview last year though so you know what to expect.:smile: Best of luck with your application this year, I'm sure you'll get in this time round! :biggrin:

Yeah, thanks mate. I feel much more confident now but I mustn't be complacent. Good luck to you too tho. You're in the exact situation as me and I hope you get in.

Hopefully, Bristol will have less applicants this year (3800+ applicatns last year was just insane)!! Also just to give you some ideas about the high standard, the cut off last year for offer was 79%. I got 70%. So it's very important to do lots of practice for the interviews.

Btw, I was trying to see the post where you mentioned where you were applying this year but couldn't find it. Was it Bristol, UEA, Exeter and Imperial?
Original post by swopnil
Yeah, thanks mate. I feel much more confident now but I mustn't be complacent. Good luck to you too tho. You're in the exact situation as me and I hope you get in.

Hopefully, Bristol will have less applicants this year (3800+ applicatns last year was just insane)!! Also just to give you some ideas about the high standard, the cut off last year for offer was 79%. I got 70%. So it's very important to do lots of practice for the interviews.

Btw, I was trying to see the post where you mentioned where you were applying this year but couldn't find it. Was it Bristol, UEA, Exeter and Imperial?

Thanks! :smile: I'm applying to Bristol, UEA, Exeter and Lancaster this year. Ah you were pretty close for Bristol too! How many stations were there? Do you prefer MMI or panel btw? :smile:
Thanks! :smile: I'm applying to Bristol, UEA, Exeter and Lancaster this year. Ah you were pretty close for Bristol too! How many stations were there? Do you prefer MMI or panel btw? :smile:

10 stations, 1 minute reading time and 5 minutes of actual interview per station.

I don't mind either tbh.

And nice uni choices! Are you taking the BMAT for Lancaster then?
(edited 7 years ago)
How much notice did they give you for your interviews? Oh and how would you recommend preparing aside from the standard knowing your PS really well, reading about medical news ect
Original post by HopelessMedic
How much notice did they give you for your interviews? Oh and how would you recommend preparing aside from the standard knowing your PS really well, reading about medical news ect

I know that Glasgow give you 1 week notice so I'm assuming for most unis it would be >1 week.
Original post by Nuba123
I know that Glasgow give you 1 week notice so I'm assuming for most unis it would be >1 week.

Wow, so not that much. I guess you just have prepare before as if you will get an interview
Original post by HopelessMedic
Wow, so not that much. I guess you just have prepare before as if you will get an interview

Yeah wish I had that much spare time to prep for everything but I don't I'm just reading BBC health articles and a book called medical ethics tbh. Also, going try and talk about these in conversations with my friends just so I'm used to talking about it. Atleast, if I don't get any interviews and get rejected it won't be that bad as I know I haven't had a chance to demonstrate my skills but even if you're rejected post-interview you'll know where you went wrong.
Hi there,
Does anyone know when the earliest Med school interviews are held? I just want a rough idea so that I know when I need to start doing hard-core interview preparations :smile:
Thank you sm
Original post by Gwenog_quidditch
Hi there,
Does anyone know when the earliest Med school interviews are held? I just want a rough idea so that I know when I need to start doing hard-core interview preparations :smile:
Thank you sm

Early december... i think
Original post by Kantth1

Thank youuu
Original post by Gwenog_quidditch
Hi there,
Thank you sm

Original post by Kantth1

I think Newcastle will offer some interviews in November, but I think most others will start interviewing in December or January.
Original post by Gogregg
I think Newcastle will offer some interviews in November, but I think most others will start interviewing in December or January.

Ok thank you, that's a huge relief!
Original post by swopnil
10 stations, 1 minute reading time and 5 minutes of actual interview per station.

I don't mind either tbh.

And nice uni choices! Are you taking the BMAT for Lancaster then?

Ah thanks! Can you remember if they ask one question per station or a few? I remember I had a few at my Exeter interview on some stations. And yep I'm taking the bmat unfortunately.
Ah thanks! Can you remember if they ask one question per station or a few? I remember I had a few at my Exeter interview on some stations. And yep I'm taking the bmat unfortunately.

Well, they generally have a stem question and you can take the conversation wherever it goes don't you? They will ask follow up questions if that's what you mean.

arg!! BMAT, it's coming so soon. Good Luck to you at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending