The Student Room Group

How can I improve in English Language & Literature

I'm in year 11 and I really want to take English Literature for A Level, but I am not the best in the class, even though I try really hard - I just need some tips on how to improve and get the high grades. Please help :smile: Thanks in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm taking English Lit and Lang for A Level atm, and the technique that's gotten me through is always questioning the author - Why is this relevant? What impact did they want to have? How does this relate to context? In year 11 the best format for answering essay questions imo is PEARL (point, evidence, analysis, reader response, links to theme/context), so if you structure every answer like this, you can't really go wrong! Also, another tip is to be clear and concise - don't overdo it with sophisticated language, because it ends up being one long waffly paragraph :smile: last but not least, try and be as original as you can, creativity always gets you a long way :smile: good luck!
I take English Lit A Level at the moment, the best advice I can give is learn context, relating your essay points to contextual factors is essential at a level and gets you top marks at gcse. For example Christina Rossetti was a member of the Oxford movement which influenced a lot of her views on the afterlife in her poems, context is key.

As for Language, I found it absolutely dull at GCSE, just stick it out and try your best, a lot of essay structures are transferrable though I found as I still managed to get an A in my language GCSE
Reply 3
Original post by Charlottexox
I'm taking English Lit and Lang for A Level atm, and the technique that's gotten me through is always questioning the author - Why is this relevant? What impact did they want to have? How does this relate to context? In year 11 the best format for answering essay questions imo is PEARL (point, evidence, analysis, reader response, links to theme/context), so if you structure every answer like this, you can't really go wrong! Also, another tip is to be clear and concise - don't overdo it with sophisticated language, because it ends up being one long waffly paragraph :smile: last but not least, try and be as original as you can, creativity always gets you a long way :smile: good luck!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it :smile: Good luck to you too xx
Reply 4
Original post by Connor27
I take English Lit A Level at the moment, the best advice I can give is learn context, relating your essay points to contextual factors is essential at a level and gets you top marks at gcse. For example Christina Rossetti was a member of the Oxford movement which influenced a lot of her views on the afterlife in her poems, context is key.

As for Language, I found it absolutely dull at GCSE, just stick it out and try your best, a lot of essay structures are transferrable though I found as I still managed to get an A in my language GCSE

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it and found this useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest