The Student Room Group

If you are unwell to travel to placements?

I'm on a nursing course...got a girl who has reduced lung capacity AND DONT WE KNOW it😤 Says she can only go to the nearest hospitals. Bearing in mind they all within 10 miles of each other and easy transport. She says she can do this as her mum is a GP. She is an attention seeking nightmare!. Can she choose her placements? Is it fair as the rest can't choose? Apart from anything else is she fit enough to do course if she's going to call the sickcard , when she doesn't get placements she wants?hope they see through her. I have to spend three tedious years listening to this 💩

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moose12
I'm on a nursing course...got a girl who has reduced lung capacity AND DONT WE KNOW it😤 Says she can only go to the nearest hospitals. Bearing in mind they all within 10 miles of each other and easy transport. She says she can do this as her mum is a GP. She is an attention seeking nightmare!. Can she choose her placements? Is it fair as the rest can't choose? Apart from anything else is she fit enough to do course if she's going to call the sickcard , when she doesn't get placements she wants?hope they see through her. I have to spend three tedious years listening to this 💩

Will you be this judgmental about patients with unseen illnesses?
Original post by moose12

It is really not your place to comment. It is up to the University and occupational health to deem how her health will impact on her studies and any reasonable adjustments that need to be made.

I would suggest you start to look at this in a professional manner. If you don't want to hear about it, then remove yourself from the conversation. Posting this on an internet forum is highly unprofessional and immature.

Would you make such judgements about your patients?
Original post by moose12

It's not up to you to decide what she can and can't do. If she is granted this, it's because she qualifies for it. I'm sure she'd much rather travel a bit further for a placement if it meant she was healthy, but she doesn't have that choice. I think it's perfectly fair. Have you considered having a talk with her about how you and the other people on her course might be able to support her? You never know, she might be lovely and is just struggling a bit. I know what that is like
How about I try and put this in perspective for you.
A girl on my course has been restricted where she can and cannot go because she is gay. Someone does not agree with homosexuality and therefore cannot be in the same area as the girl is.
This is beyond ridiculous in 2016.
And so is your statement.
You're meant to show empathy and understanding, and that includes people on your course. Not just your patients. So i sincerely hope you're not having that attitude to people you're treating. Would you say the same to the alcoholic with mental health issues that ends up in A&E every week? Or the young girl that keeps self harming because of issues at home?
If you got to know this person on your course I'm sure you'd find out a lot more than you currently do know.
Even if she is over exaggerating her condition, IF.... That is up to the university, occupational health and her personal tutor to discuss. Not you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moose12

I wanted to come back to this again, as my first comment was rather glib (I was feeding my kids at the time).

You've made these comments about a fellow student publicly on the internet. How would you feel if you were this student you're talking about her reading these comments? That your classmates think you use your disability to make yourself an "attention seeking nightmare". What do you think would happen if you were overheard making these comments about a patient? It'd be seen as a fitness to practice issue, and quite rightly so.

As for fairness, well, if she has an illness or disability covered by the equality act, then, yes, it is fair and if your university wasn't making reasonable adjustments for her to be able to attend placement, they'd be breaking the law. You should take this as a positive, as your university is clearly flexible for those who need it, so if you find yourself in a situation where you might be stuck with attending a specific placement, chances are they'll be more helpful than other universities.

You're not the first person to make comments like this about a colleague, nurses are notorious for behaviour like this towards their colleagues, it's known in the literature as a form of "lateral violence". People are isolated, made to feel like outcasts and are even hounded from their jobs because of rumours, failing to fit into the clique, or as in this instance, for having an unseen disability, which makes others jealous as they think the individual is getting favourable treatment. I'm sure she'd gladly prefer to be healthy and have to travel to placements than to have to cope with an illness. Meanwhile, whilst all this infighting is going on, the government are attacking our pay and working conditions. We should be standing together as a profession and fighting against them, but for some insane reason, nurses would rather attack each other.
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
Will you be this judgmental about patients with unseen illnesses?

Not about being judgmental. You obviously chose to 'miss the point' Read again and come back to me.
Reply 7
Original post by moonkatt
I wanted to come back to this again, as my first comment was rather glib (I was feeding my kids at the time).

You've made these comments about a fellow student publicly on the internet. How would you feel if you were this student you're talking about her reading these comments? That your classmates think you use your disability to make yourself an "attention seeking nightmare". What do you think would happen if you were overheard making these comments about a patient? It'd be seen as a fitness to practice issue, and quite rightly so.

As for fairness, well, if she has an illness or disability covered by the equality act, then, yes, it is fair and if your university wasn't making reasonable adjustments for her to be able to attend placement, they'd be breaking the law. You should take this as a positive, as your university is clearly flexible for those who need it, so if you find yourself in a situation where you might be stuck with attending a specific placement, chances are they'll be more helpful than other universities.

You're not the first person to make comments like this about a colleague, nurses are notorious for behaviour like this towards their colleagues, it's known in the literature as a form of "lateral violence". People are isolated, made to feel like outcasts and are even hounded from their jobs because of rumours, failing to fit into the clique, or as in this instance, for having an unseen disability, which makes others jealous as they think the individual is getting favourable treatment. I'm sure she'd gladly prefer to be healthy and have to travel to placements than to have to cope with an illness. Meanwhile, whilst all this infighting is going on, the government are attacking our pay and working conditions. We should be standing together as a profession and fighting against them, but for some insane reason, nurses would rather attack each other.
I get everything you are saying I really do. Again the point is missed. Everyone should be equal of course, however as you will be aware this is taken advantage of. I have an aunt who works HR traveling around hospitals assessing these disabilities. Who happens to be an x nurse. So I'm not being unfair. Yes we need to band together, and I mentioned no specific details so actually haven't done anything wrong. Maybe I've hit a nerve it was an observation. I guess I've always thought you need to be fit to do your job when caring for others. The disability act is a great thing. i wonder where it leaves the able amongst students🤔
Original post by moose12
I get everything you are saying I really do. Again the point is missed. Everyone should be equal of course, however as you will be aware this is taken advantage of. I have an aunt who works HR traveling around hospitals assessing these disabilities. Who happens to be an x nurse. So I'm not being unfair. Yes we need to band together, and I mentioned no specific details so actually haven't done anything wrong. Maybe I've hit a nerve it was an observation. I guess I've always thought you need to be fit to do your job when caring for others. The disability act is a great thing. i wonder where it leaves the able amongst students🤔

I actually think it's you who is missing the point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't you have access to this students individual health and occupational health file?
No.
Then how do you know she's taking advantage? Or that she's exaggerating?
You don't know anything apart from what she's told you or what she's said. And as a trainee nurse you should know people can be very selective in what people choose to tell another person, particularly when it comes to their health.
Your attitude is quite frankly, appalling, and I sincerely hope this changes as you go through the course. As someone as judgemental as you should not be treating people.
It's precisely people like you who i encounter on an almost weekly basis when it comes to supporting my patients with a learning disability. Ie, I don't need to know I'm not doing LD. Or I'm not doing that because it's not important.
Everyone deserves fair and equal treatment.

If anything, give the NMC code a read and take heed.
Embody what it says.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moose12

I would urge you to be very careful about what you post online. You would be surprised at how easy it is for people to identify you even if you think you have no identifying information on your profile. I imagine it would be obvious to people in your cohort on the site who you are talking about, which therefore assists them in working out who you are. This is, of course, not to mention how awful it would be if you yourself were currently suffering from an illness/disability and were having people doubt the validity of your reasonable adjustments, and you were to come across one of your colleagues making comments clearly about you online.

I'm not going to repeat the good points previously made by others, but I really would recommend that you take a good look at the social media guidance. Just because you can post something semi-anonymously online does not mean that it is not a professional practice issue. Had you posted this on Facebook, for example, you would almost certainly be taken to a fitness to practice committee.
From looking at past posts, this person was 16 in 2013 and applied to Northumbria to do children's nursing.
So if they got in, that's narrowed it down specifically. And the fact they've posted their gcse grades on here as well as their potential a levels.
This person may need to think long and hard about their actions on such a public forum....
As others have said, you have been incredibly foolish to write this stuff on a public forum when you can be relatively easily identified.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moose12

I'm assuming this is not a troll. If so you come across as really unpleasant tbh. Am amazed they didnt spot this side of your character at the interview.
If you seek to garner the support of others, then consider what you write and how you write it.
Original post by moose12

Oh and to answer the last part of your post, equality is not about treating everyone exactly the same. But realising that people can often need help our support to ensure they have the same level of opportunity as others.

If you had to be completely illness or disability free to be a nurse then we wouldn't have an nhs. Why do you think occupational health exists?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's funny how sensitive are some people. She talked about a fellow student and a future colleague that skips the rules. Taking advantage of her mum who is GP. Since she is not fit for placements, she should drop out and leave space for others who want to do the job. Totally agree with the topic starter. Being a good professional doesn't necessarily mean being a sucker.
Original post by Asklepios1
It's funny how sensitive are some people. She talked about a fellow student and a future colleague that skips the rules. Taking advantage of her mum who is GP. Since she is not fit for placements, she should drop out and leave space for others who want to do the job. Totally agree with the topic starter. Being a good professional doesn't necessarily mean being a sucker.

If she was unfit for placement then she would not have had occupational health clearance to start the course!! This is the point that you and the OP have completely missed. Work places, universities and OH have to make reasonable adjustments for students/employees to ensure that they are given an equal opportunity as any other student/employee and they have to do this by law.

During my final year as a student nurse I became very physically unwell and subsequently was told that I have an illness that leaves me immunosuppressed. It's not a big deal at work but I cannot go into any barrier rooms that have shingles, influenza, TB etc. I also have Bipolar Disorder. When I am well I have no issues at work whatsoever but I have been signed off work a few times because of it. I also had to complete a long course of therapy and my boss always made sure I was not rostered in to work on therapy days. None of this affects the quality of my work. I just sometimes require small adjustments to ensure I'm practicing safely and I continue to provide great care for my patients. None of this means that I am not a good nurse. I have progressed in my career and I don't suspect that my illnesses will hold me back

You will find that on any ward or area you work in several members of staff will have various illnesses and conditions that will require reasonable adjustments. Back pain and stress/depression are the most common culprits. I think the OP was rather judgemental and completely lacked any empathy toward this girl. Those qualities will not get you far in your career, that I can assure you of.
Empathy because she will use her mother's profession to get away with? Lol.... I will take whatever the University will say after the occupational results... Hope they keep it fair.
Have a nice day.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
If she's already at university then she would have been cleared by occupational health.
You cannot commence a nursing course without being cleared by occupational health first.
Although her mum may be a GP, due to data protection and policies in place. GP's cannot treat their own family members etc due to conflict of interest.
Therefore, the OP has shown a lack of knowledge and a lack of empathy to someone in the same profession.
Nurses are meant to band together and support one another, not attack one another from within.
In an ideal world maybe. . . .
Anyway, we all got the points here and every view is respected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending