The Student Room Group

English applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

So, has anyone else applieD YET? If so, have you got any offers yet?
Original post by dorababy1995
So, has anyone else applieD YET? If so, have you got any offers yet?

I'm about to apply but the thing is I've hit a dilemma which I need help with from you guys. My parents have told me that I 'can't do English language and linguistics' and have said that I have to do law instead. What do I do?
Original post by littlemix012
I'm about to apply but the thing is I've hit a dilemma which I need help with from you guys. My parents have told me that I 'can't do English language and linguistics' and have said that I have to do law instead. What do I do?

Honestly, be firm. It's your life, not your parents'! Just because a degree *seems* more "useful" than another, doesn't mean they get to decide what you're going to study (and then do!) for the next 3+ years of your life!
I've applied for English and Spanish at Exeter, Birmingham, Southampton, Nottingham and Sheffield. All have been acknowledged but no offers yet :frown: But I've been looking all over TSR and I don't think there are many Unis giving out English offers yet. Maybe the department is just a bit slower? I know it's only October but I'm feeling super tense already...
Original post by jesstheravendor
I've applied for English and Spanish at Exeter, Birmingham, Southampton, Nottingham and Sheffield. All have been acknowledged but no offers yet :frown: But I've been looking all over TSR and I don't think there are many Unis giving out English offers yet. Maybe the department is just a bit slower? I know it's only October but I'm feeling super tense already...

Someone did say one of their friends/classmates already has an unconditional for English from Nottingham!
Someone did say one of their friends/classmates already has an unconditional for English from Nottingham!

I literally just got an offer through for English and Spanish there! Nottingham seems really early this year.
Sent my application in for Linguistics @ Cambridge, Edinburgh, York, Newcastle and UCL, and just finished the Cam SAQ! I doubt I'll get any offers (or rejections) for a good month or two... ahh! Massive congrats to anyone who's got an offer already!!!!!
Waiting for offers from Surrey and Leeds for English and Sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had an offer from York for English and from Surrey for English Literature with Creative Writing, and I'm waiting to hear back from UEA, Essex and Reading for English Literature.

EDIT: Offer just come through from UEA, so now just waiting on Essex and Reading.
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone who's applied for English Language or Linguistics got an offer yet?
I'm applying for English Literature, and I have some unis in mind, but I haven't narrowed it down to 5.
I'm thinking Bristol, Nottingham, Newcastle, Manchester, York, Birmingham, Sussex, Southampton maybe Leeds and Kent as my low offer.
I got AABE at AS and A*AAABBBBBB at GCSE
I can't send my application off yet because my school need to check it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't send my application off yet because my school need to check it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What have you decided to apply for in the end?
What have you decided to apply for in the end?

Am pretty sure I'll be applying for English language and linguistics, who cares about what they want me to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am pretty sure I'll be applying for English language and linguistics, who cares about what they want me to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I like to hear! Stand up for yourself! It's your life and your studies, not theirs!
Hello, I'm currrently in a gap year, just working full time for money purposes, and just to take a break from education really. I'm looking at doing English Language and Linguistics at York St John, but I'm scared I'm just going to be too unacademic to do the subject :frown:, A2 level results ABB. Still need to get started on a personal statement. Any people who are already doing the course can suggest his hard it is??
Original post by 98clarkel
Hello, I'm currrently in a gap year, just working full time for money purposes, and just to take a break from education really. I'm looking at doing English Language and Linguistics at York St John, but I'm scared I'm just going to be too unacademic to do the subject :frown:, A2 level results ABB. Still need to get started on a personal statement. Any people who are already doing the course can suggest his hard it is??

If you got ABB at A2 then you'll definitely be fine, you sound very academic! I've not done the course, I'm applying myself for next year haha, but York St John don't ask for much in terms of grades so you'll be okay :wink:
If you got ABB at A2 then you'll definitely be fine, you sound very academic! I've not done the course, I'm applying myself for next year haha, but York St John don't ask for much in terms of grades so you'll be okay :wink:

What are you planning on studying and at which Unis? ☺️
I'm applying for English, English and Creative Writing and English Literature at Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth (twice) and Portsmouth. My first choice is Plymouth as I just love the atmosphere of that place and I adore the course from what I can see. I doubt I'll get offers from Exeter and Bristol tbh but if I got one from Bristol I'd definitely consider it!
Original post by Kyle1198
I'm applying for English Literature, and I have some unis in mind, but I haven't narrowed it down to 5.
I'm thinking Bristol, Nottingham, Newcastle, Manchester, York, Birmingham, Sussex, Southampton maybe Leeds and Kent as my low offer.
I got AABE at AS and A*AAABBBBBB at GCSE

Wow, I've heard Newcastle and Southampton are meant to be really good for English lit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending