The Student Room Group

Could do with some advice ... graduated in 2012

I was wondering if people could give me some advice....

So i graduated in Business (BAHons) in 2012 and i got a 2.1.I have been looking for jobs to get into but found it difficult due to my experience..

So i decided to take another route and start from the bottom..

I have been offered a job at HSBC as a collections advisor.. good start salary but i dont know if im going to like it..

But this job could open up pathways for me, as Head Office is moving from London to Birmingham near the end of 2017 which will have 2000 new jobs which maybe i could apply for internally?

Another pathway is that a friend of mine works in Fraud for HSBC and he told me could be get me in internally as soon as something comes up but i know i shouldnt depend on other people...

Of course i will still be applying for graduate schemes for 2017 regardless...

-My question is would you take this opportunity? or wait it out for another to arrive?
-Any tips on how to get experience? ive tried to get voluntary work but no luck
-I really want to a career is IT or some sort of Business Management graduate scheme/job

There is another job i wanted at HSBC instead of collections which is called a customer officer which is basically retail banking and wealth management. I am waiting for an interview date for that, however i have been told as soon as i sign the contract for collections they will automatically declines all of my other interviews and jobs that i have applied for HSBC.

I have been unemployed for 4months now and my biggest fear is that the gap is becoming larger and larger..
What have you been doing since you graduated?
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
What have you been doing since you graduated?

Used work in a supermarket which i quit in may

Sorry i graduated in 2015! not 2012... opps... so last year
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Sorry, i graduated in 2015! not 2012!
Reply 4
And ive also joined some agencies who have even found me anything....
Lots of supermarkets have graduate schemes you could apply for. Even if you're applying for graduate jobs you should still be working to build up your cv. Personally I would rather have a job (and work my way up) rather than waiting and hoping for a better offer at some point in the future. Good luck!
Original post by manny0121
I was wondering if people could give me some advice....

So i graduated in Business (BAHons) in 2012 and i got a 2.1.I have been looking for jobs to get into but found it difficult due to my experience..

So i decided to take another route and start from the bottom..

I have been offered a job at HSBC as a collections advisor.. good start salary but i dont know if im going to like it..

But this job could open up pathways for me, as Head Office is moving from London to Birmingham near the end of 2017 which will have 2000 new jobs which maybe i could apply for internally?

Another pathway is that a friend of mine works in Fraud for HSBC and he told me could be get me in internally as soon as something comes up but i know i shouldnt depend on other people...

Of course i will still be applying for graduate schemes for 2017 regardless...

-My question is would you take this opportunity? or wait it out for another to arrive?
-Any tips on how to get experience? ive tried to get voluntary work but no luck
-I really want to a career is IT or some sort of Business Management graduate scheme/job

There is another job i wanted at HSBC instead of collections which is called a customer officer which is basically retail banking and wealth management. I am waiting for an interview date for that, however i have been told as soon as i sign the contract for collections they will automatically declines all of my other interviews and jobs that i have applied for HSBC.

I have been unemployed for 4months now and my biggest fear is that the gap is becoming larger and larger..

Well you don't know if you'll like it or not until you try. Seeing as you haven't got anything else I would go for it.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
Well you don't know if you'll like it or not until you try. Seeing as you haven't got anything else I would go for it.

Yeah... don't think i have much of a choice, going to be working there while applying for other jobs so i atleast have some money coming in ... got a interview already lined up for graduate audit job after i passed the app+online tests...so atleast im getting some sort of result i guess..

Ive talked to alot , alot of people about the struggle of jobs, everyone keeps telling keep trying and something will come up.... fingers crossed
Reply 8
Over 100 views and only 2 replies... seriously? lol

My experience : ( been working since the age of 16)

-Supermarket (4years)
-Photogrpahy team leader ( 1year and few months)
-Sales + team leader ( 2 years)

Would appreciate any advice for anyone... good or bad! I just want to see peoples thoughts and opinions
Original post by manny0121
Over 100 views and only 2 replies... seriously? lol

What are you wanting people to say? Just decide what you want to do and go do it. You're a graduate - you don't need validation from TSR.
Reply 10
Original post by Duncan2012
What are you wanting people to say? Just decide what you want to do and go do it. You're a graduate - you don't need validation from TSR.

Was looking for peoples thoughts and opinions.... but now i have plan A,B and C lol
Have you checked out the milkround website? It's got so much advice for careers, work experience, interview help and CV tips.

It's also got lots of job listing specifically for students and recent graduates!

Here's some business and management jobs at the moment:
http://www.milkround.com/jobs/business-and-management/#browsing

Here's some I.T jobs available:
http://www.milkround.com/jobs/it-and-telecommunications/#browsing

And here's some advice:
http://advice.milkround.com/sector/telecommunications
http://advice.milkround.com/sector/business-management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending