The Student Room Group

On Sending in Written Work

Hello all (again),

Do footnotes (as in citations of the sources as footnotes) in the paper count for the word count of 2000 words?

Thank you!
Typically no but check with the uni.
Reply 2
Has anyone ever had written work rejected by Oxford because it did not conform to the instructions?
Original post by Pars12
Has anyone ever had written work rejected by Oxford because it did not conform to the instructions?

Most likely yes. They probably receive 1000s of applications every year and are looking for ways to sort through them all. Sticking to instructions is a basic skill. Either way why would you give a uni any reason to reject you?
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Most likely yes. They probably receive 1000s of applications every year and are looking for ways to sort through them all. Sticking to instructions is a basic skill. Either way why would you give a uni any reason to reject you?

Have you read the full instructions? There is a moral hazard here and, as you say, you really don't want to give a uni a reason to reject you.

Learning how close you have to stick to the instructions is also a basic skill.
Original post by Pars12
Have you read the full instructions? There is a moral hazard here and, as you say, you really don't want to give a uni a reason to reject you.

Learning how close you have to stick to the instructions is also a basic skill.

No as I am not applying. I've suggested that the OP reads the full instructions though as they are.

And no there's a difference between having flexibility within guidelines and having to stick to certain requirements. Anyway, I don't have the time to argue with you. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by alleycat393
No as I am not applying. I've suggested that the OP reads the full instructions though as they are.

And no there's a difference between having flexibility within guidelines and having to stick to certain requirements. Anyway, I don't have the time to argue with you. Good luck!

If you don't know the instructions should you be giving advice? You can't just assume you know what the guidelines are. That way lies madness.:smile:
Original post by quinnthequail
Hello all (again),

Do footnotes (as in citations of the sources as footnotes) in the paper count for the word count of 2000 words?

Thank you!

We think brief citations are fine. Footnotes with significant additional text that take the essay beyond the word count are not fine!

On footnotes generally, our tips are as follows:

Footnoting is used to back up an important statement (one on which an argument rests) with a source or authority. It is also used to signal that a particular idea or other form of content is not your own but you wish to make use of it and so are acknowledging the source.

To have maximum impact, footnote the really important ideas or statement in your essay. Repeatedly footnoting material that is not significant ('showing off') just makes work harder to read.

Its generally best to footnote at the end of a sentence (or paragraph) rather than doing so mid-sentence as this is also easier for the reader.
Reply 8
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We think brief citations are fine. Footnotes with significant additional text that take the essay beyond the word count are not fine!

On footnotes generally, our tips are as follows:

Footnoting is used to back up an important statement (one on which an argument rests) with a source or authority. It is also used to signal that a particular idea or other form of content is not your own but you wish to make use of it and so are acknowledging the source.

To have maximum impact, footnote the really important ideas or statement in your essay. Repeatedly footnoting material that is not significant ('showing off':wink: just makes work harder to read.

Its generally best to footnote at the end of a sentence (or paragraph) rather than doing so mid-sentence as this is also easier for the reader.

Thank you for much for your response! For clarification, when you say brief citation, does that include the whole MLA citation (which can be around two lines)? Sorry, I'm an international student, and so I don't know exactly how one cites in the UK (if one only includes author and date or the whole citation).
Original post by quinnthequail
Thank you for much for your response! For clarification, when you say brief citation, does that include the whole MLA citation (which can be around two lines)? Sorry, I'm an international student, and so I don't know exactly how one cites in the UK (if one only includes author and date or the whole citation).

We think an MLA citation is something like: Last Name, First Name. Title. Publisher, Year of Publication. All fine. There is no standard method of citation in the UK - as long as you are consistent, choose whichever you prefer. Our academics read all kinds of books and articles with different citations!

Try not to over-think this issue as there is no way the type of footnote you choose is going to affect the assessment of your essay.

Quick Reply