The Student Room Group

This is what false accusations of rape do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-37696222

I believe suspected rapists should be kept anonymous till they are sentenced, because when you're falsely accused of rape, that label stays with you for the remainder of your life, and, in some tragic cases such as Jay's, leads to innocent deaths.

Poor mother, God knows what torment she went through.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heard about this. :frown:
People who make false rape claims should get their would-be victim's sentence.

But only in cases where the claim is found to be false, rather than one where the case is dismissed because there's no evidence.
Reply 3
Original post by Dodgypirate

I believe suspected rapists should be kept anonymous till they are sentenced, because when you're falsely accused of rape, that label stays with you for the remainder of your life, and, in some tragic cases such as Jay's, leads to innocent deaths.

Totally agree 😡😡😡😡

I think some women should hang their heads in shame. There is a thread on here about some woman who feels that she was raped about a year ago. She was drunk and only now is she feeling this. If you are drunk I am afraid that you have to take some responsibility for your actions.
Reply 5
There should be anonymity for the accused until formal charges are laid or the case actually goes to court.
No reason to kill yourself if you're accused of rape. I know someone who was accused of it and now he jokes about it.
Original post by Mistletoe
No reason to kill yourself if you're accused of rape. I know someone who was accused of it and now he jokes about it.

That's not your place to say. The circumstances are different for everyone.
Original post by A-LJLB
That's not your place to say. The circumstances are different for everyone.

Depression is generally the cause of suicide, so no, the circumstances really aren't different for everyone.
Depression is generally the cause of suicide, so no, the circumstances really aren't different for everyone.

What? I'm saying while it may not affect some in such a negative way, i.e. Your friend, for others it does. You cannot decide how a person feels and reacts towards something like this. Have some compassion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I think some women should hang their heads in shame. There is a thread on here about some woman who feels that she was raped about a year ago. She was drunk and only now is she feeling this. If you are drunk I am afraid that you have to take some responsibility for your actions.

Because a woman is drunk does not give someone else the right to take advantage of her.
Original post by StrawbAri
Because a woman is drunk does not give someone else the right to take advantage of her.

Of course it doesn't but what if they are equally drunk both regret it and neither can recall giving consent. Who is guilty? Who is the rapist, sexual assaulter?

FYI they were both drunk, and they were consenting. Since rape is taking advantage of someone, it seems silly to have a contract claiming that you have consented. This is because one of the parties can suddenly withdraw from consent after having sex, making the contract void. So yes, people have to take responsibility of their actions - especially choosing to get drunk as no one forced you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tbh I've never heard an adequate reason as to why rape suspects (or any suspects for that matter) shouldn't be kept anonymous.
The only response I've had from feminists arguing that there shouldn't be anonymity is them calling me a rape apologist lmao

That's actually rather insensitive. Good on your friend but lots of people can't handle that sort of mental pressure.
Original post by caravaggio2
Of course it doesn't but what if they are equally drunk both regret it and neither can recall giving consent. Who is guilty? Who is the rapist, sexual assaulter?

If both parties were drunk and both regret it then neither are guilty of rape etc and both would have to take responsibility for their actions as any regret/sadness afterwards can't really be pinned on one person.
Original post by Zargabaath
Tbh I've never heard an adequate reason as to why rape suspects (or any suspects for that matter) shouldn't be kept anonymous.
The only response I've had from feminists arguing that there shouldn't be anonymity is them calling me a rape apologist lmao

If they're named and shamed, you're going to have some poor sod still labeled a rapist by a few people.
That's actually rather insensitive. Good on your friend but lots of people can't handle that sort of mental pressure.
it is a tremendous amount of mental pressure I agree and unless you've got a family to support you through it I can see how suicide would be a highly probable outcome. the worst thing about it is that when you're accused...as someone i know has told me ... you start to condemn yourself regardless of whether you were objectively guilty

if you have a bad solicitor or a malicious family who won't support you - you are pretty much screwed.
Original post by JohnGreek
The only thing I've heard in favour of no anonymity is that seeing an accused rapist go on trial will encourage other women who may have been abused to come forward. A stupid argument considering that these women can a) wait until the end of the trial if they haven't been reporting the rape for so long, and b) the fact that there are no class action criminal lawsuits to join/sign in and that a separate case would have to be opened for each other woman.

@Zargabaath

It wouldn't be called class action but defendants can't be charged with multiple counts against different victims.

There's a difference between being drunk and taken advantage of and too drunk to give informed consent and raped; a distinction some people seem to ignore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiger Rag
If they're named and shamed, you're going to have some poor sod still labeled a rapist by a few people.

I mean they shouldn't be named and shamed. Everyone involved in the case should be kept anonymous to the media until after the verdict is returned. I don't think the media should be able to report on it until after the case is settled either tbh

Quick Reply