The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by metrize
I've already sent off my SAQ, should I email the college?

You can, yes, it won't do any harm.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I've done both but it's also on my SAQ which has been sent off! Hope that's okay :-) thanks for all you've done for us!

It'll be fine! :smile: No problem!
Original post by Rachel58
With the Fee Assessment Questionaire, how will household bills prove that we've lived here? It has my parents name on, not mine, no mention of me.

It will match the address on the form - it's the best we can manage.
Reply 703
My parents don't keep council tax or utility bills for any length of time. Are HMRC correspondence/statements acceptable?
I understand that the entrance exams are not being used to shortlist applicants for interview.

However, what effect do you think the exams will have on the percentage of those you interview? Do you think it will decrease?
Original post by Joni66
My parents don't keep council tax or utility bills for any length of time. Are HMRC correspondence/statements acceptable?

You'll need to ask your college about what they regard as acceptable in those circumstances.
Original post by jamestg
I understand that the entrance exams are not being used to shortlist applicants for interview.

However, what effect do you think the exams will have on the percentage of those you interview? Do you think it will decrease?

They aren't entrance exams, they are admissions assessments - that is an important distinction. There's no pass or fail in the assessment and it doesn't not decide anything on it's own, unlike an exam.

The assessment will not be used on its own to decide upon who gets an interview but it will be part of those decisions in many cases.

We anticipate that the proportion of applicants interviewed will remain at a similar level to previous years, 75-80% overall.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
No, I'm afraid not. For a science subject you need to have 3 A*s in maths/science subjects to be eligible for compulsory pooling. Of course that doesn't mean that if you aren't successful at your original college that you won't be pooled, many candidates are.

If it exists (the rules only seem available for subjects that aren't Maths or Medicine), what are the criteria for a Medicine applicant in Year 13 to be eligible for compulsory pooling? Beyond Medicine, without a set of four AS UMS scores or achieved A Levels for each applicant will auto-pooling carry on?
Hi, sorry to repeat, but anxious for some SAQ help. For application with IB qualifications does the Extended Essay need to be included under qualifications please (5.5)? Just read a conversation on this thread about EPQ and I'm thinking it might be similar? Thanks!
Original post by WildMeraki
If it exists (the rules only seem available for subjects that aren't Maths or Medicine), what are the criteria for a Medicine applicant in Year 13 to be eligible for compulsory pooling? Beyond Medicine, without a set of four AS UMS scores or achieved A Levels for each applicant will auto-pooling carry on?

There is no compulsory pooling in Medicine. The rules on compulsory pooling remain unchanged, there's just going to be a lot fewer people to whom it applies.
Original post by Magnificat7
Hi, sorry to repeat, but anxious for some SAQ help. For application with IB qualifications does the Extended Essay need to be included under qualifications please (5.5)? Just read a conversation on this thread about EPQ and I'm thinking it might be similar? Thanks!

It doesn't need to be but you can include it if you wish.
On the SAQ should I include my C3 coursework as a separate module to my C3 exam?
What is compulsory pooling?! I've heard it mentioned but I'm confused as to when it takes place/how it affects your chance of an offer!
Original post by Hariex
On the SAQ should I include my C3 coursework as a separate module to my C3 exam?

I don't think so.
Original post by somebodyelse98
What is compulsory pooling?! I've heard it mentioned but I'm confused as to when it takes place/how it affects your chance of an offer!

Students who have achieved a certain level in public exams (93% UMS best three or best three Sciences average for Y13 applicants, 3 A*s for post A Level being the most common) are eligible for compulsory pooling. This means that if their original college does not make them an offer then they must place he applicant's file in the winter pool for other colleges to see and decide if they wish to make an offer. It's there to ensure that strong paper applicants are not dismissed for further consideration because of a poor set of interviews.

They aren't separate from other applicants placed in the pool, which is why I dislike the phrase 'auto-pool' as it makes it sound as if there is an auto-pool and a normal pool, which there isn't.
I don't think so.

Is this the case even if they have separate unit codes? The coursework is 4753/02 and the exam is 4753/01. Should I just enter it as 4753?
Students who have achieved a certain level in public exams (93% UMS best three or best three Sciences average for Y13 applicants, 3 A*s for post A Level being the most common) are eligible for compulsory pooling. This means that if their original college does not make them an offer then they must place he applicant's file in the winter pool for other colleges to see and decide if they wish to make an offer. It's there to ensure that strong paper applicants are not dismissed for further consideration because of a poor set of interviews.

They aren't separate from other applicants placed in the pool, which is why I dislike the phrase 'auto-pool' as it makes it sound as if there is an auto-pool and a normal pool, which there isn't.

Thanks so much - this is really useful to know! If a candidate has only two UMS scores to report due to the other AS levels being reformed, does this mean they aren't eligible for compulsory pooling? If the teachers have reported strong raw mark scores in their reference, will these be considered as well? Thanks again
Original post by Hariex
Is this the case even if they have separate unit codes? The coursework is 4753/02 and the exam is 4753/01. Should I just enter it as 4753?

C3 Maths should have a UMS value out of 100, that is what we need.
Original post by somebodyelse98
Thanks so much - this is really useful to know! If a candidate has only two UMS scores to report due to the other AS levels being reformed, does this mean they aren't eligible for compulsory pooling? If the teachers have reported strong raw mark scores in their reference, will these be considered as well? Thanks again

That's correct, they wouldn't be eligible. We will look at raw marks where teachers provide them but these aren't factored into compulsory pooling, though they will be a consideration (along with everything else) in pooling decisions more generally.
Hi and thanks for doing this thread it is very useful. On the saq, when filling in which topic areas we have covered, should we put the linear subjects we sat last year in as 'as level Y12' or 'A level Y12' as I am unsure of whether 'as level Y12' indicates I have dropped the subject. Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending