The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Okay gcses were not too good at all i achieved A-C grades widely ranged even amount of each. Ive realised that ive been restricted to some beneficial extra curricular activites which i feel will disadvantage me in the long run when applying for university. I want to study medicene i would like to find extra curricular courses in relation to this(In the uk). Thanks for your time
Original post by NeedsHelpalot
extra curricular courses in relation to this

The only thing I can think of is to volunteer at health clinics or hospitals. Maybe ask your own doctor to shadow what he does or even ask them and those in the profession about how they got to where they are. It could give you an idea of what is needed to get into medicine.
Okay gcses were not too good at all i achieved A-C grades widely ranged even amount of each. Ive realised that ive been restricted to some beneficial extra curricular activites which i feel will disadvantage me in the long run when applying for university. I want to study medicene i would like to find extra curricular courses in relation to this(In the uk). Thanks for your time

You might find it hard to get into medicine if you got C's in maths, english and the sciences, most courses require B or above
Original post by Charlie Bravo
The only thing I can think of is to volunteer at health clinics or hospitals. Maybe ask your own doctor to shadow what he does or even ask them and those in the profession about how they got to where they are. It could give you an idea of what is needed to get into medicine.

Thanks sounds good
Original post by HopelessMedic
You might find it hard to get into medicine if you got C's in maths, english and the sciences, most courses require B or above

My gcse sciences were at Cs the rest were above Cs because my school made everyone with a target grade of a C predicted off SATS grades in year 6 do a foundation paper which was practically all science classes however i study a science now which UCL said compensates for that i would redo it if it disadvantages me further. Thanks for your reply :smile:
My gcse sciences were at Cs the rest were above Cs because my school made everyone with a target grade of a C predicted off SATS grades in year 6 do a foundation paper which was practically all science classes however i study a science now which UCL said compensates for that i would redo it if it disadvantages me further. Thanks for your reply :smile:

That may be fine for UCL, but you have three other choices which may not. Retaking would open more doors, but its your choice
That may be fine for UCL, but you have three other choices which may not. Retaking would open more doors, but its your choice

What are my three other choices? Thanks for the advice i may consider retaking
What are my three other choices? Thanks for the advice i may consider retaking

You will apply to four different uni's for medicine in the UK. Each one has a different admissions policy, so whilst UCL may be happy with you GCSE's, the other may not
You will apply to four different uni's for medicine in the UK. Each one has a different admissions policy, so whilst UCL may be happy with you GCSE's, the other may not

Okay thanks lol one last question if i retook my science gcses would i have to put two results on my ucas my original and my new or just my new?
Okay thanks lol one last question if i retook my science gcses would i have to put two results on my ucas my original and my new or just my new?

Sorry but I've got no idea. Probably both
Both.
Reply 9171
I was thinking of doing medicine at university but I got a C in English language. I've looked at requirements at different unis and most say I need a minimum of a grade B.
I'm currently doing Biology, Chemistry and Geography at ALevel
In GCSE I got:
Maths:B
English language:C
English literature:C
Biology:A
Chemistry:A*
Physics:B
IT:A
Geography:A
Computing:B

Is there any chance I would be accepted to do medicine if I got good ALevels and lots of work experience
If you don't meet the entry requirements you will struggle as all other applicants will have good grades and lots of work experience.
Original post by AA327
I was thinking of doing medicine at university but I got a C in English language. I've looked at requirements at different unis and most say I need a minimum of a grade B.
In GCSE I got:

Is there any chance I would be accepted to do medicine if I got good ALevels and lots of work experience

If you don't meet the minimum requirements, your application won't be looked into further sadly no matter how good your other stats may be. You can get in, but it will be difficult - not many Med Schools accept lower than a B in English.
Original post by AA327
In GCSE I got:

Do,you have any idea why your Emglish was C? Was it you, the school or a difficult exam board? Or a combination?
Original post by AA327
In GCSE I got:

You can't change the past.
Get As at AS level and retake English.
Then get good volunteering.
Not terribly likely, I'm afraid. Medics do need excellent communication skills, so a C at GCSE would be a bit of a red flag.
Original post by Reality Check
Not terribly likely, I'm afraid. Medics do need excellent communication skills, so a C at GCSE would be a bit of a red flag.

Maybe there were extenuating circumstances. He got an A in geography and that is essay based. Plus it could have been the school's inability to teach the subject well.
Or perhaps they forgot to enter his coursework. It does happen.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Theplace
Maybe there were extenuating circumstances. He got an A in geography and that is easy based. Plus it could have been the school inability to teach the subject well.
Or,perhaps they forgot to enter his coursework. It does happen.

Come on... let's not blame the school or teachers here.

If there were extenuating circumstances, by all means the OP should make the centre aware of these (if it's not too late). But attempting to shift responsibility for the poor mark onto the teaching or administration of the school is not productive and doesn't help.
Original post by Reality Check
Come on... let's not blame the school or teachers here.

If there were extenuating circumstances, by all means the OP should make the centre aware of these (if it's not too late). But attempting to shift responsibility for the poor mark onto the teaching or administration of the school is not productive and doesn't help.

School's do make mitakes.
However the official deadline for medical schol has passed, though he could still lit in an application, but it's too late for UKCAT. Is it too late for BMAT?

Latest

Trending

Trending