The Student Room Group

Psychology??

I'm considering taking A level Psychology next year but I believe it involves a lot of essay writing etc, but I'm not particularly good at English and writing essays and stuff. If anyone has an experience with this A level could tell me whether they think it would be a good idea or not and how much essay writing is ACTUALLY involved that would be great. Thanks.
You will probably have to learn to write essays in most subjects and it's good to have a mix. What subjects are you good at and are you planning to go to uni? If so what subjects do you need for uni?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
You will probably have to learn to write essays in most subjects and it's good to have a mix. What subjects are you good at and are you planning to go to uni? If so what subjects do you need for uni?

As my main three subjects I'm planning on taking maths, chemistry and physics but for my fourth one I wanted a bit of variety and psychology seems like an interesting subject. I'm just worried about long answer questions. Are there mainly short or long answer questions or a mixture of the two?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gen15
As my main three subjects I'm planning on taking maths, chemistry and physics but for my fourth one I wanted a bit of variety and psychology seems like an interesting subject. I'm just worried about long answer questions. Are there mainly short or long answer questions or a mixture of the two?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mixture of the two

The highest marked question is 16 marks for the new A Level
Reply 4
Original post by Nadine_08
Mixture of the two

The highest marked question is 16 marks for the new A Level

Ok hopefully it shouldn't be too bad then! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gen15
I'm considering taking A level Psychology next year but I believe it involves a lot of essay writing etc, but I'm not particularly good at English and writing essays and stuff. If anyone has an experience with this A level could tell me whether they think it would be a good idea or not and how much essay writing is ACTUALLY involved that would be great. Thanks.

Hey,

I got a C at english language and a B in literature and still do Psychology and I don't regret it at all! Yes it is a lot of writing but I feel it's different from english - I'm currently in year 12 and I'm predicited an A at the end of year 13 despite my english grade so don't worry. Yes it is essay based but you get taught how to write them so don't worry too much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by chloeematthews12
Hey,

I got a C at english language and a B in literature and still do Psychology and I don't regret it at all! Yes it is a lot of writing but I feel it's different from english - I'm currently in year 12 and I'm predicited an A at the end of year 13 despite my english grade so don't worry. Yes it is essay based but you get taught how to write them so don't worry too much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah essays are literally my worst nightmare but I really want to take psychology so yeah hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. One other thing is how many case studies are there? Like is there much of having to memorise specific facts etc?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I got an A in AS psychology and my essay writing is awful! You learn as you go through really. As for case studies/facts, there's quite a lot to remember but you don't really have to learn the specifics, just outlines and general results of studies. Just like with other A levels if you get the revision done it's all good!
Reply 8
Original post by rosalinnn
I got an A in AS psychology and my essay writing is awful! You learn as you go through really. As for case studies/facts, there's quite a lot to remember but you don't really have to learn the specifics, just outlines and general results of studies. Just like with other A levels if you get the revision done it's all good!

I'm feeling a lot more confident in taking psychology now - thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gen15
Ah essays are literally my worst nightmare but I really want to take psychology so yeah hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. One other thing is how many case studies are there? Like is there much of having to memorise specific facts etc?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not going to lie there are quite a lot to remeber but quite easy to remember, you just have to remember a name, date, roughly what happened and how it supports/disagrees with the point your making as most times you have to evaluate things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Assuming you do AQA (can't speak for other exam boards), there are three exams, each split into four sections (or three on Paper 2) of 24 marks

Each section is a mix of MCQ, short answer (2-4-6 marks) and long answer (8-16 marks)

It's unlikely there'll be more than one 16 mark essay per exam. That said, my teacher obsesses over them so our lessons are essay-orientated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest