The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone received any sort of email confirmation or login for student central from Bsms yet, I have ucas confirmation but nothing else, thanks :smile:
Original post by MoneySpider
Has anyone received any sort of email confirmation or login for student central from Bsms yet, I have ucas confirmation but nothing else, thanks :smile:

I can't find the email from last year so unfortunately I can't tell you exactly when these things happened for me, but as far as I remember BSMS sent stuff quite late compared to the other unis (so maybe a few days/weeks after getting your application as opposed to literally the day after). You're fine, hang in there and they'll definitely get something to you eventually 😊
The wait is definitely the worst part of applying haha
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lightwoXd
I can't find the email from last year so unfortunately I can't tell you exactly when these things happened for me, but as far as I remember BSMS sent stuff quite late compared to the other unis (so maybe a few days/weeks after getting your application as opposed to literally the day after). You're fine, hang in there and they'll definitely get something to you eventually 😊
The wait is definitely the worst part of applying haha

I know it's awful!! Thanks so much for your help, just got to wait a bit longer lol
I know it's awful!! Thanks so much for your help, just got to wait a bit longer lol

Ah no worries, just having really vivid flashbacks to this time last year when I was in your exact position haha. Looking back on it I don't know why I was so worried but at the time it all feels so intense πŸ˜‚

It comes in a couple of days baby girl
Reply 45
For contextual Data Proof, do I have to send in scanned documents or can they be just normal pdfs?
Original post by Kraytz
For contextual Data Proof, do I have to send in scanned documents or can they be just normal pdfs?

I sent in a picture, I'm sure normal pdfs are fine, just so long as they can print them and keep them on record :smile:
Reply 47
I sent in a picture, I'm sure normal pdfs are fine, just so long as they can print them and keep them on record :smile:

Have you received confirmation that they have received it?
Hiya,

In the MMI interview, would we be asked to talk about what we wrote for section 3 of our BMAT ( a bit like what UCL does)?? :smile:
Original post by JustWondering98
Hiya,

In the MMI interview, would we be asked to talk about what we wrote for section 3 of our BMAT ( a bit like what UCL does)?? :smile:

No idea, sorry! I'm pretty sure this is the first time they'll be doing MMI style interviews, so it's impossible to say really. Don't sweat it too much, just make sure you can back up the arguments you make in it to be safe :smile:
Original post by lightwoXd
No idea, sorry! I'm pretty sure this is the first time they'll be doing MMI style interviews, so it's impossible to say really. Don't sweat it too much, just make sure you can back up the arguments you make in it to be safe :smile:

Ahh okay, thank you. :smile:
Original post by JustWondering98
Hiya,

I highly doubt it, ucl is a panel so it's easy to talk about it there. You can't discuss it in such little time in an MMI
Reply 52
Hi guys
I read BSMS explanation for their BMAT scoring but I dont quite get the scoring for section 3. So the total for section and two is 18 (nine marks for each) and then how does it work for section 3? so for example if I got 4A how many points would I get?

Thanks
Reply 53
Original post by srashid3
Hi guys
I read BSMS explanation for their BMAT scoring but I dont quite get the scoring for section 3. So the total for section and two is 18 (nine marks for each) and then how does it work for section 3? so for example if I got 4A how many points would I get?

Thanks

section 3 is scored out of 10 for each component so 4A = 9/10 points 5 for an A and 4 for a 4

We believe that the BMAT allows applicants to put themselves in the spotlight; if you have the ability and talent to succeed in medicine then the BMAT gives you the perfect opportunity to show us, regardless of your background. We score the BMAT out of 28 (9 marks for Section 1, 9 for Section 2 and 5 marks for each element of Section 3) we then rank all applicants according to their total score out of 28 and work down the rankings to fill our interview places. For 2015 entry applicants who scored 15.1 or above were invited for interview (the cut off score will vary each year).
Hello can someone please help me??
I'm trying to practise for the BMAT but it just feels so awkward. I feel really confident in sections 1 and 2 however when it comes to section 3, i feel as if i wont even achieve a score of 2. I would really appreciate if someone can please look at my essay and give me some feedback, no matter how harsh it is. I would be more than grateful with any feedback.

Thank you very much in advance.

Good surgeons should be encouraged to take on tough cases, not just safe, routine ones. publishing an individual surgeon's mortality rates may have the opposite effect.

Explain what this statement means. Argue to the contrary. To what extent do you think league tables should change a surgeon's behaviour?

The above statement implies that releasing a surgeons mortality rate may discourage many surgeons to take on difficult cases as they may either; not feel confident enough, or may wish to improve their mortality rate. An experienced surgeon who performs very difficult surgeries may have a lower mortality rate than a surgeon who performs very routine and easy surgeries. This can cause distrust in the experienced surgeon who may be better qualified than the surgeon performing the easier surgeries.

Whilst this may initially seem to be a rather thoughtful statement, it has many fundamental flaws. For instance, this statement only considers surgeons who are good but may have a low mortality rate due to performing more difficult surgeries. It does not consider that some surgeons may just not be good enough. Publishing mortality rates allows hospitals to reassess many surgeons with alarming mortality rates. Surgeons should only be permitted to perform life threatening surgeries if they are extremely good. Therefore having quantitative data to compare surgeons can be monumentally significant. Furthermore allowing mortality rates to be published allows for many surgeons to be recognised. This can increase morale and allow surgeons to feel more confident to take on the difficult surgeries.

In addition, I believe league tables based on mortality rate can attract and entice friendly competition within the field. It can cause surgeons to feel a need to be extra focused on their job at all times. Incentives, which can come in the form of financial or recognition, can further increase morale and encourage competition. Nevertheless, it can also cause disruption within the field and can cause team work to deteriorate. Moreover mortality rates may disadvantage better surgeons performing more difficult surgeries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, first, it's written very well, but the first point should be that league tables won't change behaviour as that's the contrary. Then talk about how it would promote and push surgeons to be better and have a better record rather than competition between surgeons. The grammar is good and the points about data on surgeons that can be used to quantify them, just be sure to structure your arguments more or less in the order that the suggestions appear in. Hope this helped (and made sense) good luck on Wednesday!!!
Hello guys,

I found this essay incredibly awkward to write and the last part of it in particular was really difficult. Can some please give me some feedback and tell me how to improve it. Also how would you answer the last par of the question?

I really appreciate the feedback.

Thank you very much in advance.:smile:

PS..... this is a 2011 paper. would the layout of the essay still be like similar to this on Wednesday

People injured whilst participating in extreme sports should nit be treated by a publicly funded health service.

Explain the reasoning behind this statement. Suggest an argument against this statement. To what extent, if any, does the statement justify a change in public attitudes to personal risk taking?

An extreme sport is a sport which is perceived as having a high level of inherent danger. Examples of such are boxing and extreme waterboard sports. The reasoning behind the above statement is that why should the public pay for injuries which are self conflicted and most likely going to occur again. It would be a better use of resources, time and money to treat other people who have not brought their injuries to themselves.

Although this may initially seem as to be a rather popular idea, it has many fundamental flaws which make it an unrealistic policy to implement. First of all, people who undertake extreme sports are members of society and contribute to the NHS. Their right to free healthcare is as important as any other persons right. If they should not be treated by the NHS, then surely they should have lower taxes. Secondly, many members of the public smoke and drink excessively. These habits can have catastrophic effects on a persons health as a whole. For example, smokers who may require a lung transplant as the state of their lungs has deteriorated significantly due to smoking. This can also be classified as a self inflicted injury. Should smokers and drinkers not be treated by the NHS as well? Furthermore, many people who undertake extreme sports, such as boxing, professionally are extremely fit. They take very good care of their health at all times. On the other hand, some members of the public are overweight and obese. This can increase the chances of developing Coronary Heart Disease and so would require treatment. However should they also be denied of treatment?

This statement can change the public's opinion and attitude towards personal risk taking greatly. It can cause the public to significantly oppose the treatment of such athletes, which although may seem logical would be quite hypocritical. On the contrary, it can also cause he public to push for more regulations in connection with extreme sports to ensure that the injuries are less significant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey fellow applicants! I am an international student so i didn't need to write the BMAT, and apparently i don't do an MMI, they do a panel interview at BSMS or an interview via video link (i'm from Canada so most likely will do the interview via video chat).

I have only received one e-mail from them referring to some contextual data info. None of the points apply to me because i'm not from the U.K.

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from them yet? Also does anyone know what kind of questions are asked during the interview?

Thanks!
Original post by ukhopeful94
Hey fellow applicants! I am an international student so i didn't need to write the BMAT, and apparently i don't do an MMI, they do a panel interview at BSMS or an interview via video link (i'm from Canada so most likely will do the interview via video chat).

I have only received one e-mail from them referring to some contextual data info. None of the points apply to me because i'm not from the U.K.

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from them yet? Also does anyone know what kind of questions are asked during the interview?

Thanks!

Can I ask u know the video interview could u just be wearing pyjama bottoms and like a suit jacket because they won't see you and also if u don't know a question could u just mess with Internet and say that it glitches so then u have more time?
Original post by Squishβ€’
Can I ask u know the video interview could u just be wearing pyjama bottoms and like a suit jacket because they won't see you and also if u don't know a question could u just mess with Internet and say that it glitches so then u have more time?

Just to be safe i wouldn't really do either of those lol just take the interview seriously and practice a lot, getting an interview is a big step so you don't wanna jeopardize it

Latest