The Student Room Group

How to get an assistant psychologist job!?

Hi guys, so I'm graduating this year, and am just thinking about what to do afterwards...
I would like to work as an Assistant Psychologist for a couple of years, before moving on to a postgrad. However I really don't see how I have a chance for an Assistant role? There's such few jobs out there, and so many of us! I've been looking on job search sites, and every single job post asks for a good amount of assistant experience.

I actually completed a full time work placement last year as part of my degree, however it was in a special school for 3-19 year olds with severe learning disabilities and autism. In all honesty, do you think this will make any difference? :/

I absolutely loved working in that school, but I feel if I had gone for the more clinical hospital based placements, I'd be in such a better position right now, almost feel like kicking myself...
Reply 1
Probably a bit late responding now, but that placement definitely sounds good. Remember, clinical psychologists work in CAMHS, and CAMHS work with children/young people in SEN schools. Therefore your placement lends itself to clinical psychology. I wouldn't say it was pointless at all! The NHS often advertise for assistant psychologist positions within CAMHS. If you can demonstrate the application of psychology in your placement then you definitely have a chance of securing an assistant post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending