The Student Room Group

Does anyone else not revise for the OSCE with others?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nexttime
Seriously? There are lots of valid ways of doing exams - i suggest you watch some doctors on the wards.

A lot of us are really worried about losing marks for not doing it the way our uni explicitly says so (they're quite picky about technique), so we never really venture away from what we've been taught. For example, we might be taught an examination technique in a particular way by a doctor but we just tend to ignore any parts that we aren't used to, so that we don't risk failing the OSCE.

My experience revising for finals was that people had learned lots when on the wards and had plenty of slicker ways of doing things, pet peeves with certain tests, tests that could be added for certain situations. I'm not sure what stage you're at but when i've taught 4th year students some of them have had misconceptions, misplaced emphasis, bad technique, not to mention simple things like lack of confidence, all of which could have been picked up by practising with peers. When you say fellow students can't provide feedback I really do read that as you claiming to be perfect, which i find dubious.

Having said that, i was only sniping at one point you made. If you do find that patients plus theory works best for you then no one can argue with that.

I'm sorry you read it that way, I meant that feedback from my peers (of the same year) doesn't add as much value as feedback from perhaps older years or doctors. I think it might just be my university, we all have the same acronyms to remember examinations, we perform it in the same sequence etc. I just created this thread because I was curious about how other students revise for OSCEs, from my experience it doesn't seem to be too helpful but then again it might just be the people I practice with or my university's method of teaching.
Original post by mysalvation
A lot of us are really worried about losing marks for not doing it the way our uni explicitly says so (they're quite picky about technique), so we never really venture away from what we've been taught. For example, we might be taught an examination technique in a particular way by a doctor but we just tend to ignore any parts that we aren't used to, so that we don't risk failing the OSCE.

Well, i'm sure you realise that the notion of one correct exam is a complete fallacy. That's a massive shame and tbh against the whole ethos of evidence based medicine (by which i mean, being critical about what you're doing rather than because your senior said so).

I'm sorry you read it that way, I meant that feedback from my peers (of the same year) doesn't add as much value as feedback from perhaps older years or doctors.

Sure - my experience was/is that its still useful but if you've tried and tested it and definitely concluded otherwise that's up to you.

I included my experience in teaching because some of the stuff i saw was quite obvious and would have been picked up by 90% of the members of that year group i'm sure - these candidates just didn't practice with feedback and made mistakes because of it.

I think it might just be my university, we all have the same acronyms to remember examinations, we perform it in the same sequence etc.

Most of what i mean is small things - a particular way of positioning so a reflex is easier, ways to phrase instructions so that its clearer etc. I'm certain not everyone in your med school does everything absolutely identically. It would be an impressive sight if they did!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Well, i'm sure you realise that the notion of one correct exam is a complete fallacy. That's a massive shame and tbh against the whole ethos of evidence based medicine (by which i mean, being critical about what you're doing rather than because your senior said so).

I'm not all too fond of my university tbh.

Most of what i mean is small things - a particular way of positioning so a reflex is easier, ways to phrase instructions so that its clearer etc. I'm certain not everyone in your med school does everything absolutely identically. It would be an impressive sight if they did!

Oh gosh yes, I didn't even pick up on you meaning that! They're definitely things that I notice (and "steal") during our OSCE teaching sessions. I had never even thought of small things like that.
Reply 23
I find repetitive practicing until it becomes as easy as handwriting really helpful. This is normally with one of my friends or my partner (who doesn't love OSCE time of year). I don't like working in groups of more than say 3, because we end up chatting and messing about more than studying. Three is great because you have patient, student and examiner. Medics know the steps, yes, but it also means they can give you tips to remember phrases and know when you've gone wrong and feedback at the end. I get a lot out of it. (I have a problem remembering words and pronoucing them right so my friends are great with getting me on track with that!)

Studying for the history taking stations, prescribing stations, and spot stations I tend to do alone.
I prefer working in pairs. I find that anymore in the group becomes less efficient. Also remember to switch between partners so you get feedback from different people. Also the best way to improve your comm skills is to practice on different people who have varying personalities and react differently to the things you say. Not all simulated patients are the same, so it's good to practice adjusting your tone, flow and questioning styles appropriately - something you wouldn't do if you kept practicing with one person.
Reply 25
looking for a study partner to practice OSCE anyone willing?
I've done it with others and myself
I've practised by myself when I had little time to waste - i was fine doing this because I am confident in my communication skills and I did fine.

if you can communicate well, then I don't see a problem with it .Although you do learn from others! Depends if you have the time to get a weekly thing going
Reply 27
Personally, I revised for my finals OSCE entirely by myself and did alright. I have always found it difficult to revise with other students (for various reasons), but I've never found it too much of a hindrance practicing by myself.

For the general examinations I just practiced the procedure on a pillow until I had learnt the process off by heart, then went around the wards picking up signs (plus google images). As for the history & communication stations, I don't think I found these to be too much of a hassle either. I took a lot of histories during placement, either during a clinic or taking a history from an in patient on a ward and presenting it back to one of the junior doctors, who would then quiz me on the differentials, investigations, management etc. I watched a couple of Youtube videos on breaking bad news etc, and that was fine for me.

Of course it is different for every person, but I wouldn't say that revising by yourself for OSCEs gives you a disadvantage - it just depends how you learn.
Reply 28
I have always revised for OSCEs mainly on my own. I would join others if they asked me but I never sought it out. Even for my MRCPsych membership exam, which is all role play I mainly revised on my own and had feedback from consultants. It all depends on your learning style.
I've always revised for OSCEs with others and couldn't imagine doing it entirely on my own but I guess it's very personal and some people might find it easier to study by themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending