The Student Room Group

Trying to get A*A*A*A*A* at A-level

Scroll to see replies

Day 31
My Half term
Further Maths
It's been extremely productive! I am expecting to have completed all the MAT past papers by the end of the half-term as well as having revised FP1 and Core 4 and scoring nigh on full marks in practice papers, which is awesome. I'm expecting to also have completed M2 by the end of this half term, giving me that edge in class (so its not all so alien to me). S2 is slow... it just is really slow and I hate statistics. I can't move on to exam questions of the Poisson Distribution/Binomial because it links in Normal Approximations etc. So before the end of half term I expect to have finished Normal Approximation (Chapter 5 of 7). So still have to meet a bunch of targets in the next 3 days... lets see if I can do it! Also I'm going to finish the two small shapters in FP2 and revise Maclaurin/taylor series this half term.
Physics
I've done little on this front tbh... very little... in fact.. i dont think I've done anything xD.... Okay well by the end of half term I'll have notes on Thermal Physics I hope...
Computer Science
I have started a little programming (not a lot)... this is slow progress to make time for my maths..
EPQ
Not too sure what I'm doing... I think I'm just waiting for approval from my college which I should hopefully get on the first week back?
University
My offer for Warwick was AAA... the standard offer is A*AA for the MEng course however for some reason it was lower for me which is awesome!!!!
I also got an interview invite from Imperial and a "visit day" / "group interview" at Bristol University in November... though I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the travel expenses so I need some kind of financial support for this... I might have to get a part time job on the weekend for a couple months or so.

Thanks for reading, lets see how much of this I can actually get done by the end of Half term!
Original post by Someboady
Day 31
My Half term
Further Maths
It's been extremely productive! I am expecting to have completed all the MAT past papers by the end of the half-term as well as having revised FP1 and Core 4 and scoring nigh on full marks in practice papers, which is awesome. I'm expecting to also have completed M2 by the end of this half term, giving me that edge in class (so its not all so alien to me). S2 is slow... it just is really slow and I hate statistics. I can't move on to exam questions of the Poisson Distribution/Binomial because it links in Normal Approximations etc. So before the end of half term I expect to have finished Normal Approximation (Chapter 5 of 7). So still have to meet a bunch of targets in the next 3 days... lets see if I can do it! Also I'm going to finish the two small shapters in FP2 and revise Maclaurin/taylor series this half term.
Physics
I've done little on this front tbh... very little... in fact.. i dont think I've done anything xD.... Okay well by the end of half term I'll have notes on Thermal Physics I hope...
Computer Science
I have started a little programming (not a lot)... this is slow progress to make time for my maths..
EPQ
Not too sure what I'm doing... I think I'm just waiting for approval from my college which I should hopefully get on the first week back?
University
My offer for Warwick was AAA... the standard offer is A*AA for the MEng course however for some reason it was lower for me which is awesome!!!!
I also got an interview invite from Imperial and a "visit day" / "group interview" at Bristol University in November... though I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the travel expenses so I need some kind of financial support for this... I might have to get a part time job on the weekend for a couple months or so.

Thanks for reading, lets see how much of this I can actually get done by the end of Half term!

Nice!

What do you use to learn programming e.g. Java or something? Anything you recommend please? Also will the Imperial interview be an academic interview and do you only get an interview if they feel they might give you an offer?
Original post by Kira Yagami
Nice!

What do you use to learn programming e.g. Java or something? Anything you recommend please? Also will the Imperial interview be an academic interview and do you only get an interview if they feel they might give you an offer?

Hey!

I have some books that I've used to learn a little bit of Java... I know codeacademy do Java tutorials (though I've never used them personally - too long winded for me). Personally I would recommend a good old fashioned book but I think online tutorials are great! The best way to learn any programming language is to practice making various programs.

It will most definitely have academic elements since Imperial is the one of the best University for Computing/CompSci in the UK. From what I've heard, they ask you about 3 - 4 maths problems to test the depth of your mathematical ability and they grade you on this... then they ask about your interest in the field.

I'm not sure of the exact statistics but they only interview people who they think they'll offer a place! I hear that around 80% of the people they interview get an offer.

EDIT: They interview 28% of applicants and 78% of these received offers in 2015 and apparently the percentage is decreasing....

Lets hope I get one!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 203

I'm still waiting on Imperial to make a decision (CompSci as well), it's worrying that others are getting their interviews D:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Quido
University

I'm still waiting on Imperial to make a decision (CompSci as well), it's worrying that others are getting their interviews D:

Oh don't worry! You'll get one soon! I can't make mine so they're probably re-organising who can go to which interview, so if you haven't got an invite now, you'll have an interview at a later date!
Day 35
Regretting my decision to apply to Oxford. I should have applied to Cambridge and just taken the CSAT, an albeit easier test and I'd have a better chance of getting in tbh... unfortunately Oxford only have limited places for Computer Science which sucks :frown: Definitely should've thought more carefully about my decision
Half Term
I achieved most of what I wanted to get achieved this half term. But not all of it. Overall it was productive but not nearly productive enough if I'm going to achieve the grades I want and win an Oxford place...
Further Maths
FP1 is complete. After my MAT next week, I'm expecting my productivity to DOUBLE.
Physics
Made all the notes I need to have made by now
Computer Science
Started the Programming and realised I've bitten off more than I can chew.... I literally cannot program this to save my life... but I'm going to give it my best shot and hopefully achieve as close to it as possible!
EPQ
Still waiting on that project approval
MAT
One week left. Bring it. YOLO.. I just want a place at Imperial and Bristol... Oxford I'm not overly fussed about anymore considering I'm competing for such few places and the odds are stacked against me unfortunately but I will give it my best shot. Trying not to feel disheartened but yeah... my bestest shot. I was considering taking a gap year and reapplying to Cambridge but Oxbridge is NOT the be-all and end-all of existence. I can get a perfectly great degree from Bristol or Imperial! (HOPEFULLY IMPERIAL)
UCAS
I have an interview at Bristol and I'm awaiting a response from Imperial regarding the rearranging of dates for my interview...
How did you find the MAT today???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Day 45
I skipped a lot of days because of MAT preparation etc.... yeah..

Further Maths
Okay so FP1 is finished, M2 is finished, S2 I have 3/7 chapters left. FP2 I have 5/7 chapters left. Now that MAT is over with I'll be finishing FP2, S2 and FP3 before Christmas hopefully. (I don't want to wait for my college) D1 I'll learn after Christmas as apparently its an easy module.
Physics
We've finsihed thermal physics and we've started nuclear physics. I did NOTHING in Physics.. I just made notes in class (didn't bother understanding about 30% of it) but hey ho now I have to make notes and catch up on that.
Computer Science
I need to start coding up my solution as soon as possible!
EPQ
My project was approved yay! and I have to plan out how I'm going to write my EPQ...
MAT
Okay so basically MAT was absolute crap. It was very difficult. I'll be lucky to even get to interview stages. It was painfully hard and I know I messed up on the multiple choice because I didn't read it properly but heyo.... I can only blame myself. Whatever the outcome is, I gave it a shot at least! I've put that horrid exam behind me and I'm focusing on my A-levels and interviews and upcoming tests.
UCAS
So far I've received an offer from Warwick... AAA rather than their standard A*AA which I am absolutely chuffed about. But also I received an offer from Durham which is A*AA. I have interview at Bristol within the next week and I have an interview at Imperial upcoming very shortly. Both of which require a little preparation.
Reply 208
That's nothing - at A level I got A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*.
Original post by abc:)
That's nothing - at A level I got A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*.

I would believe you however that would cost bare $$$$ for exam entrances.

[list]

2 days ago

Hi Guys,
I have a drama assessment on trestle masks. And we need to either to a play or describe how to use the masks. I really want to do a play so please can anyone think of ay ideas to help me out...

It will be nice if you do????

Day 55 (i think)
Now I know why everyone warned me not to pick 4A-levels and an EPQ lmao im dying.
I think its my fourth A-level choice that is really the biggest bummer ever. Computer Science has COURSEWORK and its so painful. It takes me ages to get anything done on the programming side and then I need to write up everything and its so LONG and tedious.
And the worst part? Its only worth 20%. But it consumes your existence...Anywho I'll be rushing through most of it to get it done before the end of December at the latest. As for my EPQ, the write up is going to take until February to complete.

I am concerned about Physics. Sure I'm learning the content (albeit not very well) but I need to be revising AS content as well and I've kind of shrugged Physics off by just making notes rather than actively learning and revising.

Maths and Further Maths are going pretty well, I'll have finished S2 by the end of December as well as FP2 (hopefully).

Stay frosty guys
Day 55 (i think)
Now I know why everyone warned me not to pick 4A-levels and an EPQ lmao im dying.
I think its my fourth A-level choice that is really the biggest bummer ever. Computer Science has COURSEWORK and its so painful. It takes me ages to get anything done on the programming side and then I need to write up everything and its so LONG and tedious.
And the worst part? Its only worth 20%. But it consumes your existence...Anywho I'll be rushing through most of it to get it done before the end of December at the latest. As for my EPQ, the write up is going to take until February to complete.

I am concerned about Physics. Sure I'm learning the content (albeit not very well) but I need to be revising AS content as well and I've kind of shrugged Physics off by just making notes rather than actively learning and revising.

Maths and Further Maths are going pretty well, I'll have finished S2 by the end of December as well as FP2 (hopefully).

Stay frosty guys

can I join this and grow my grade with you?

I've only been making notes for physics too, I should probably start doing more questions XD

There's a girl who I watch on YouTube who did A-level physics last year and got an A* and she made a video on how to get an A* which you might find helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMr6hZSaln0

Good luck btw!!:smile: I was going to comment good luck a while back, but I thought you don't need it because you're really clever haha XD
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I've only been making notes for physics too, I should probably start doing more questions XD

There's a girl who I watch on YouTube who did A-level physics last year and got an A* and she made a video on how to get an A* which you might find helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMr6hZSaln0

Good luck btw!!:smile: I was going to comment good luck a while back, but I thought you don't need it because you're really clever haha XD

Thank you! Definitely gotta crack down on Physics Lol! Hopefully we'll both ace Physics this year!!
Day 61 (I think)

Further Maths
I scored full marks on FP1 and got almost full marks on M2 and S2 in our tests. S2 I was very annoyed about because I lost 3 marks due to not being able to spot a Binomial Approximation. It makes me sad to this day lol. But anyways, Further Maths is going so well! I'm basically going to finish FP2 and S2 before the Christmas Holidays and that'll let me start papers in the Christmas Holidays. I'm also starting to revise Core 4 this weekend as I have an interview at Imperial soon and I know they love to ask Maths Questions. My Core 1 - 3 is pretty good but Core 4 (considering my results) needs that revision.
Physics
Its a heartless subject...I'm not lost but I'm definitely not organised. I kinda just go along with everything that happens in class and then when I get home I try and fit the pieces together. I'm not working very well for someone who wants an A* so I'm cracking down on everything from now.
Computer Science
Similar to Physics really... I'm focussing on the coursework at the moment and its going pretty well EXCEPT my program has a few issues that I just CANNOT solve and because I'm programming in Java my teachers can't exactly assist me... Hoping to get some help somewhere as soon as possible. I'm aiming to have my coursework finished before Christmas as well...at the moment I've scored full marks and I have two sections left worth about 40 marks.
EPQ
It's going really well, i just need to make sure I have my first two sections completed by Christmas for submission!
UCAS
My visit day at Bristol went pretty well but I haven't received an offer yet (worryingly!)... hoping it'll happen soon. Oxford is pretty much out of the window after the MAT so I've kind of forgotten about that. I have an interview at Imperial that I have no idea how to prepare for :/ if anyone has any tips for interviews please feel free to message me because Imperial scares me xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey bud,
main 2 questions they will prolly deffo ask you is why this uni and why this course. From there on it sort of becomes a convo whereby it goes where ever you take it
(ofc every now and then the interviewer will drop a few specific questions)
Original post by ChuckNorriss
Hey bud,
main 2 questions they will prolly deffo ask you is why this uni and why this course. From there on it sort of becomes a convo whereby it goes where ever you take it
(ofc every now and then the interviewer will drop a few specific questions)

Thanks so much! Definitely going to be preparing for those sorts of questions!
I will have my interveiw at on wensday, and I am terified of those questions
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 67
I got an Oxford Interview.
Everything else is irrelevant.
Just kidding. But I did actually get an interview which I am chuffed about.
I'll do an update this weekend as to my A-levels...I haven't entirely processed that I have an interview yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending