The Student Room Group

A Level Maths Options

Hey hey,

So I'm self-studying Maths and Physics at A Level this year. I'm currently choosing which optional modules to study from and I think I'm decided on D1 and M1.

I'm applying to Cambs to study Land Economy so if there's anything I should know regarding which modules that they'd prefer over others, let me know!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by nemanuel96
Hey hey,

So I'm self-studying Maths and Physics at A Level this year. I'm currently choosing which optional modules to study from and I think I'm decided on D1 and M1.

I'm applying to Cambs to study Land Economy so if there's anything I should know regarding which modules that they'd prefer over others, let me know!

Just pick the one you like the look of the most. It doesn't matter that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
D1 is quite a boring easy and dull module , would recommend doing s1 instead . also s1 may have more of a relevance to your degree.
Reply 4
Original post by dididid
D1 is quite a boring easy and dull module , would recommend doing s1 instead . also s1 may have more of a relevance to your degree.

I've already done SS1B in my Statistics A Level (yes, it is a stand-alone A Level) and I'm not too sure if they would let me take S1 for maths (it is exactly the same content).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I've already done SS1B in my Statistics A Level (yes, it is a stand-alone A Level) and I'm not too sure if they would let me take S1 for maths (it is exactly the same content).

Posted from TSR Mobile

well then you have the choice of M1+M2, M1+D1 and D1+D2 although i would reccomend doing at least one mechanics module and i think the other shouldnt have too much of an effect on your application. although very high ums in M2 may look better than the same ums in D1 as its seen as a A2 module and may be harder . Best if you email your potential cambridge college and ask which they may prefer . Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by dididid
well then you have the choice of M1+M2, M1+D1 and D1+D2 although i would reccomend doing at least one mechanics module and i think the other shouldnt have too much of an effect on your application. although very high ums in M2 may look better than the same ums in D1 as its seen as a A2 module and may be harder . Best if you email your potential cambridge college and ask which they may prefer . Hope this helps:smile:

Thanks for the input. I've already sent my SAQ with the modules I would be taking :frown: bur if I decide to change modules, I'll give them an email. I'm doing Physics too, so I probably want to do a Mechanics module perhaps along with D1 just because I would like a broader knowledge of the Maths (done stats, doing mechanics so haven't done any decision)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks for the input. I've already sent my SAQ with the modules I would be taking :frown: bur if I decide to change modules, I'll give them an email. I'm doing Physics too, so I probably want to do a Mechanics module perhaps along with D1 just because I would like a broader knowledge of the Maths (done stats, doing mechanics so haven't done any decision)

Posted from TSR Mobile

be prepared for boredom with decision lol
Reply 8
Original post by dididid
be prepared for boredom with decision lol

I'll be honest, I'm bored doing logs and trig :/. Stats is so much better than pure maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'll be honest, I'm bored doing logs and trig :/. Stats is so much better than pure maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nooo, pure maths > anything else wait till you get to c3 trig its pretty awesome
Original post by dididid
nooo, pure maths > anything else wait till you get to c3 trig its pretty awesome

It's probably because I'm teaching myself, so it feels like such a chore. But we will see, I won't get my hopes too high for c3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's probably because I'm teaching myself, so it feels like such a chore. But we will see, I won't get my hopes too high for c3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha fair enough ,

Quick Reply

Latest