The Student Room Group

Working 5 and a half hours without a break ??

I just got myself a part time job at uni working on campus at a cafe. I was informed today that I won't be getting breaks when I'm working and that maybe if it's quiet I can have 5 mins to sit down and have a drink. I'm going to be working from 10:45-4:15 on Saturday - Sunday so am wondering whether this is actually legally acceptable given I won't be able to eat for like 5 hours. Kinda regret taking this job now :/
It depends on how old you are. If you are 18+ it is legal, if not then less so.
Reply 2
People in hospo rarely get breaks anyway, when i was doing it i would work up to 11 hours and be lucky to get a break.
Original post by spanker
People in hospo rarely get breaks anyway, when i was doing it i would work up to 11 hours and be lucky to get a break.

Thats definitely illegal
Original post by fefssdf
I just got myself a part time job at uni working on campus at a cafe. I was informed today that I won't be getting breaks when I'm working and that maybe if it's quiet I can have 5 mins to sit down and have a drink. I'm going to be working from 10:45-4:15 on Saturday - Sunday so am wondering whether this is actually legally acceptable given I won't be able to eat for like 5 hours. Kinda regret taking this job now :/

It's completely legal, I've done many 5h30 shifts without a break and it's not that tough, just keep a bottle of water with you and you'll be fine.
Original post by fefssdf

How old are you? If you're over 18 it's perfectly legal, albeit tough. Just take some chocolate or sugary drink with you on shift to eat/ drink on the sly if you can
Yeah, it's legal. After 6 hours you're entitled to a break, though.
If you're under 18 anything over 4 and a half hours means you get a break, if you're over 18 then it's 6 hours to be able to get a break :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Edminzodo
It's completely legal, I've done many 5h30 shifts without a break and it's not that tough, just keep a bottle of water with you and you'll be fine.

Oh ok thanks for getting it back to me it's just that I tend to get tired easily and I worry I'm gonna come home feeling sick if I'm not eating anything for that many hours. I'll probably have to buy a lot of food and eat it on my way to work to try and fill myself up
Reply 9
Original post by Gigi26SMILE
If you're under 18 anything over 4 and a half hours means you get a break, if you're over 18 then it's 6 hours to be able to get a break :smile:

Ah I see yeh it seems my hours have been set deliberately so I am working the max amount without a break cause yeh I am 18
Reply 10
Yeh I'll probably take a bottle of lucozade with me and yeh eating chocolate on the sly may be a good idea also. I'm just praying that my manager lets me have some sort of break so I can at least Just grab something to eat
Original post by fefssdf
Oh ok thanks for getting it back to me it's just that I tend to get tired easily and I worry I'm gonna come home feeling sick if I'm not eating anything for that many hours. I'll probably have to buy a lot of food and eat it on my way to work to try and fill myself up

tbh 5 hours without food isn't a big deal... it's more annoying that you're essentially working through a meal time though as you start too early and end too late to have a proper lunch

when I worked shifts which ran over a meal I switched to eating more smaller meals, so in your case I'd have a normal breakfast then have a small lunch before starting and a small lunch after finishing work as well (take it with you so can eat straight away)

it's just going to be a case of getting used to it and getting your body to adjust to different eating times... See if there's anywhere you can keep lucozade or something else with calories in it so you can keep sipping it during the shift but I doubt you're gonna be able to actually stop and eat properly, you may be able to grab something that's a couple of mouthfuls on your way to/from the toilet though so think what would work well - maybe a chocolate bar?

also if you had a medical condition they might have to give you a break... it's a risky one as they may ask for a doctors note but you could say you can get hypoglycaemic if you don't eat regularly so you may need 5 minutes to grab a chocolate bar mid shift
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by doodle_333
tbh 5 hours without food isn't a big deal... it's more annoying that you're essentially working through a meal time though as you start too early and end too late to have a proper lunch

when I worked shifts which ran over a meal I switched to eating more smaller meals, so in your case I'd have a normal breakfast then have a small lunch before starting and a small lunch after finishing work as well (take it with you so can eat straight away)

it's just going to be a case of getting used to it and getting your body to adjust to different eating times... See if there's anywhere you can keep lucozade or something else with calories in it so you can keep sipping it during the shift but I doubt you're gonna be able to actually stop and eat properly, you may be able to grab something that's a couple of mouthfuls on your way to/from the toilet though so think what would work well - maybe a chocolate bar?

also if you had a medical condition they might have to give you a break... it's a risky one as they may ask for a doctors note but you could say you can get hypoglycaemic if you don't eat regularly so you may need 5 minutes to grab a chocolate bar mid shift

The ideas of grabbing food on the way to the toilet is a good idea tbh cause I'm working in the library and there's not any toilets actually within the cafe bit so I presume I'd be able to grab something from my bag and sneak it into the toilet with me so I'll try that !
Original post by fefssdf
The ideas of grabbing food on the way to the toilet is a good idea tbh cause I'm working in the library and there's not any toilets actually within the cafe bit so I presume I'd be able to grab something from my bag and sneak it into the toilet with me so I'll try that !

If you take that approach, make sure that whatever you take with you isn't something that's sold in the cafe -- simply so you can't be accused of pilfering.
Original post by fefssdf

Yes it is legal.
From what im told at work, over 18's are entitled to a 20 minute break every 6 hours. So yeah, you working 5 1/2 hours is fine.
Original post by fefssdf

Yes it's legal for someone aged 18+, any shift that is 6+ hours then you are entitled to a break :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending