The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miss Purple
Anyone know of a good way to manage mid back pain from studying? Don't want to start having to pop pills all the time and I've always found massages to be super painful :frown:

Sounds like a posture thing. Try to make sure you have a reasonably supportive chair too. I also find stretching helps with not feeling like your muscles are "bunched up" from sitting still for a long time.
Original post by JOO93
Back pain from studying ?!

How on earth are you studying? (A serious question here) ... bad posture I suspect.

Original post by LilithSternin
Sounds like a posture thing. Try to make sure you have a reasonably supportive chair too. I also find stretching helps with not feeling like your muscles are "bunched up" from sitting still for a long time.

I find it difficult studying at home, so I study in cafes that have terrible chairs. Library is a no go too, it closes at 9
So I either twiddle my thumbs at home or study and try to find a remedy for this back that's like corned beef
Original post by Anonymous
Got the list of hospital choices through for 4th (finals) year :eek:

Any help on picking between major teaching hospitals and DGHs where there's more time for them to teach and the highest pass rates but less interesting cases and specialities? Only been in one teaching hospital as a student so far (which wasn't great or well organised) and I'm on community right now, so no chance to see the others before I pick...

I know there are other unis that do finals in fourth year, but if you're at Liverpool by any chance, feel free to PM me if you want an opinion from a fourth year!

E: I personally haven't noticed less interesting conditions at DGHs compared to big hospitals actually! If anything, I've seen waaay more cool signs this year at a DGH than other years at bigger hospitals!
(edited 7 years ago)
Looks like Scotland Is getting it's first grad course.
Found this from a link on the St Andrews Medical School twitter feed from 14th June

image.jpeg
Original post by K4TE Star
Looks like Scotland Is getting it's first grad course.
Found this from a link on the St Andrews Medical School twitter feed from 14th June

image.jpeg

Derry is getting their own in a couple of years too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair play to Wales for looking to out-compete England for GPs by offering them training

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
Fair play to Wales for looking to out-compete England for GPs by offering them training

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it, training in wales is so appealing to me considering I am a medical student here, its a brilliant country which sadly loses a lot of medical students once graduated to england.

Definetly an exciting prospect for future welsh GPs.
Anyone know of a good way to manage mid back pain from studying? Don't want to start having to pop pills all the time and I've always found massages to be super painful :frown:

I found some yoga/stretch exercises helpful. You can find some videos online, but it works even better if you go to actual classes.
Also, try laying down on the solid floor for few minutes, that helps too

Tried foam rolling?
Hi guys

I'm a new student with an upcoming AR.

Any general tips/advice?
Hi guys

I'm a new student with an upcoming AR.

Any general tips/advice?

What's an AR?
Original post by Zain-A
What's an AR?

Analytical review

Have you tried not studying?
Analytical review

As in you are to do an analytical review of literature or that you will be analytically reviewed?...
Original post by TheRabbit
As in you are to do an analytical review of literature or that you will be analytically reviewed?...

Sorry I should've made it clear before!

We are doing an AR on medic literature

We do AR in the first 2 years. If you're at UEA, look at the lectures on blackboard, YouTube and definitely discuss it with your colleagues/PBL
Original post by atomos
Anyone got any advice on electives?
I would love to go to New Zealand or Australia, but I'm also quite drawn to Germany (except the language may be an issue; I speak German okayish, but not any medical German...).
Of course all depends on whether I could actually get a placement in any of these places but I don't know where to apply in the first place :redface:

Go to the place you will have the most fun/opportunity to travel
Reply 837

'How to read a paper' by Greenhalgh is a very good introduction to critical appraisal and a good starting point.

Original post by atomos
Anyone got any advice on electives?I would love to go to New Zealand or Australia, but I'm also quite drawn to Germany (except the language may be an issue; I speak German okayish, but not any medical German...).Of course all depends on whether I could actually get a placement in any of these places but I don't know where to apply in the first place

Aus is amazing!
What even are the kidneys. I'm pretty sure the nephron is the site of black magic.
Original post by LilithSternin
What even are the kidneys. I'm pretty sure the nephron is the site of black magic.

Pixies in the loop of henle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending