The Student Room Group

Why is Warwick so highly regarded by banks when it gives offers to 85% of applicants?

Just looked at The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017:

Doesn't seem like a very selective university if it gives out offers to 84.3% of its applicants. I wonder why the people on TSR worship the university and act like it's on par with UCL or Durham.

Scroll to see replies

Why do people think Durham is on a par with UCL, I mean come on man, it's LARPing for Oxford rejects :rofl:
Reply 2
Because of the world-class Business School, Mathematics Department and Economics Department, ie the subjects most related to Banking & Finance.

Take Mathematics at Warwick for example; when I applied they gave out offers to anybody with a prediction of AAB or greater. However, the offer is A*A*A2.
Reply 3
Original post by Turing
Take Mathematics at Warwick for example; when I applied they gave out offers to anybody with a prediction of AAB or greater. However, the offer is A*A*A2.

Indeed - in fact they've recently started changing their offers. It used to be A*AA + 1 which is well harder than Oxford's, say.

In fact, Warwick has a great (fair) policy - they give a uniform offer to all realistic candidates and then take the ones that meet the offer. Contrast this to uni's like Cambridge where the offer varies from person to person wildly and a fair bit of luck involved in the admissions process - it obviously has its benefits, but I've always admired Warwick's offer policy.
(edited 7 years ago)
A high offer rate doesn't mean the quality of its intake is poor, (1) if the quality of applicants is high and (2) if the offers given are hard.
Most people I know missed their Warwick offers by a mile and did not get in.

Warwick does give out alot of offers but they tend to be relatively more difficult, it evens it out in the end (for their top courses), every uni has a different way to select applicants, they all need to compete with each other.

For this reason Warwick tend to be extremely strict if you miss a grade.
Reply 6
Original post by ScotBank16

Doesn't seem like a very selective university if it gives out offers to 84.3% of its applicants. I wonder why the people on TSR worship the university and act like it's on par with UCL or Durham.

Is the liberal arts programme at warwick any good?
Because they only admit people who met the offer. Applicants have received AAB, instead of the AAA and have been rejected, unlike universities such as Manchester, where a friend of mine has got in with ABC for an AAB course at MBS. They are more strict on the other side of the admission process.
Don't get all the uni bashing on this website.
its a mystery to all of us

I'd be interested in seeing the stats for Oxford, Cambridge, and LSE, if you're able to provide them (or if you can direct me to them).
Could be:
It has to make a lot of offers because there's quite a high chance that it's not an applicants most preferred destination... in contrast oxbridge can be highly confident that they won't get jilted by applicants... Needless to say UCAS is rigged to prevent oxbridge competing with each other.

OTOH it could be the illuminati at work
ive heard from people within the finance soc there that its mainly the maths and econ departments and their students that are the most reputable and sought for by banks.
haters gonna hate
Reply 14
Original post by anonwinner
I'd be interested in seeing the stats for Oxford, Cambridge, and LSE, if you're able to provide them (or if you can direct me to them).

Good University Guide 2017 table is here - click the name of each university to see the details :
http://nuk-tnl-editorial-prod-staticassets.s3.amazonaws.com/2016/bespoke/university-guide/index.html
Original post by jneill
Good University Guide 2017 table is here - click the name of each university to see the details :
http://nuk-tnl-editorial-prod-staticassets.s3.amazonaws.com/2016/bespoke/university-guide/index.html

Thanks
Is my man salty?
Original post by gr8wizard10
haters gonna hate

how is this hate??
how is this hate??

Warwick > UCL
Original post by gr8wizard10
Warwick > UCL

That doesn't answer my question.

Quick Reply