The Student Room Group

Joining Tinder

I'm thinking of joining Tinder

What have others experienced on Tinder?

Has anyone found their partner on their?

What are the chances of finding a partner?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
I've got it but don't take it seriously
Uni student here. Although I'm a female so maybe it's easier for me "to find someone on tinder", I was in relationship with someone for almost a year from there (recently broke up), but they started becoming extremely jealous and controlling after 6-7 months of being with them. I tried everything I could to maintain the relationship, but eventually I was hollow and mentally drained, and it had to end. It's still pretty raw. Trying to get over this person. They were emotionally abusive, I have to keep reminding myself this. I seriously thought I was going crazy. I was crying all the time for no reason had no idea why. It was because we were fighting, they were mind****ing me all the time. Can't explain it. This person was extremely kind and charming on the outside, so it made it that much harder. Still remembering all the amazing times we had, it hurts, really. And the crying still shocks me, because, mentally I consider myself pretty strong. This person got me pretty good. :/

Since the break up, my sanity is slowly returning.

Yes, it's perhaps possible to meet people in real life, but as an introvert, I don't get to talk to many guys. It's nice Tinder for the fact that I can actually control the situation completely. If I don't like someone, I can unmatch. Perhaps when I don't feel so bad, I can try it again, but for now, at least until half term, I'm gonna try to stay off and focus on studies. Also, I should focus on making friends. Honestly, I didn't focus on making friends at all last year because of this person.

----
Bottomline is, Tinder can lead to anything. You can get casual hookups on there pretty easily, or relationships if that's what you want. Stay on it for long enough and you will find someone at least remotely interesting I guarantee. Most are of course going to be superficial about it, but some are looking for more.

There are loads of reasons why people use Tinder. You can't say Tinder is only for 'hookups' because it's really not. Some people just prefer it. Some people don't want to go out to pubs, bars, etc. to meet people. Some people don't like anyone at their uni/work. Some people don't have any friends that can set them up.Tinder is Tinder. Yep :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by newttella
Uni student here. Although I'm a female so maybe it's easier for me "to find someone on tinder", I was in relationship with someone for almost a year from there (recently broke up), but they started becoming extremely jealous and controlling after 6-7 months of being with them. I tried everything I could to maintain the relationship, but eventually I was hollow and mentally drained, and it had to end. It's still pretty raw. Trying to get over this person. They were emotionally abusive, I have to keep reminding myself this. I seriously thought I was going crazy. I was crying all the time for no reason had no idea why. It was because we were fighting, they were mind****ing me all the time. Can't explain it. This person was extremely kind and charming on the outside, so it made it that much harder. Still remembering all the amazing times we had, it hurts, really. And the crying still shocks me, because, mentally I consider myself pretty strong. This person got me pretty good. :/

Since the break up, my sanity is slowly returning.

Yes, it's perhaps possible to meet people in real life, but as an introvert, I don't get to talk to many guys. It's nice Tinder for the fact that I can actually control the situation completely. If I don't like someone, I can unmatch. Perhaps when I don't feel so bad, I can try it again, but for now, at least until half term, I'm gonna try to stay off and focus on studies. Also, I should focus on making friends. Honestly, I didn't focus on making friends at all last year because of this person.

----
Bottomline is, Tinder can lead to anything. You can get casual hookups on there pretty easily, or relationships if that's what you want. Stay on it for long enough and you will find someone at least remotely interesting I guarantee. Most are of course going to be superficial about it, but some are looking for more.

There are loads of reasons why people use Tinder. You can't say Tinder is only for 'hookups' because it's really not. Some people just prefer it. Some people don't want to go out to pubs, bars, etc. to meet people. Some people don't like anyone at their uni/work. Some people don't have any friends that can set them up.Tinder is Tinder. Yep :smile:

Thank you

I'm definitely going to join Tinder :smile:
Original post by Drake1998
Thank you

I'm definitely going to join Tinder :smile:

Good luck. ^.^
My tinder experience as a male:

-Was 17 at time so due to the age group chosen the pool of people must've been a bit small I guess
-Didn't realise at the time it forced facebook pics, facebook profile pic was a debilierately ugly one for comedy purposes and the rest were way too old, excellent start
-Many many people that didn't do it for me so swiping nope was done v quick
-Eventually app ran out of people to show me in a 150km radius, got 1 match
-Messaged her, she never replied

I feel like some girls must take note here: putting "I'm a ***** and I know it" in your about me thing isn't going to make people more interested. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Most people are superficial at first as a way of standing out.

My Tinder statistics to date:

I've currently got 243 matches.
Many of those matches have not responded or communication has broken down or boredom has set in.
I have had quite a few successful casual 'hook-ups'.
I have also found many potential girlfriends on there who I have dated.
At the end of the day it is what you make of it and it can be very effective either way, though my mates say don't use it to find a girlfriend for some reason.

I always start off with the same line: So does this mean we are married now then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KingGoonIan
I always start off with the same line: So does this mean we are married now then?

Doesn't that scare them away?
Reply 9
I can only speak from a female perspective (obviously) but I have found that the app is only really useful if you are into quick hookups (which i am not). A lot of my matches have started with sexual messages from them or they have quickly tried to steer the conversation that way. Not saying all of them do, I have met people who I do frequently talk to due to Tinder so it isn't all bad. There are a lot of fake accounts, sometimes they just want you to click links to virus websites or such other times they try and catfish you. However, these are usually relatively easy to spot.

Personally, I have had more success through using Twitter. The current guy I am seeing I met through Twitter and we have met up and I have visited him on holiday. Tinder feels like more pressure because the people using it aren't using it to make friends - so it feels like I must be more flirty or be instantly attracted to them which isn't exactly realistic. It is always an option so don't completely rule it out, but just don't rely on it to find a partner.

I do really like the feature that people can not message you until you have swiped right to them and they have done the same. A lot of dating websites don't offer that feature, which is why I prefer Tinder of them (I use Tinder, but I would never go back to using one of them). Plus even if you find the person makes you uncomfortable or whatever it is so easy to report them and unmatch them. They can't see your account again unless they remake their account and again you could always just swipe no on them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Boondock Saint
Doesn't that scare them away?

No its supposed to be funny and if they dont get it and take it seriously then they're not worth talking to in my opinion. It can lead to getting their number depending on how they answer my second question.
No its supposed to be funny and if they dont get it and take it seriously then they're not worth talking to in my opinion. It can lead to getting their number depending on how they answer my second question.

What's your second question?
well i hope you're good looking

its a well known fact that only men considered an 8 or above are swiped right...
Original post by Boondock Saint
What's your second question?

Lmao
Tinder is crap. Don't even bother. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest