The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zabveniye
My shirt and trousers cost less than £50 altogether and were absolutely fine; you just have to do some looking around.They're not expecting you to wear expensive clothes, just basic smart ones.:smile: But if you really can't get any in time that is understandable, and I wish you luck with your interview anyway. It does put you at a disadvantage (here and with any other interviews you might have) but it doesn't completely spoil your chances, as long as you interview well.

Spent £60 in the end. Luckily I got some money sent over in ironic timing for it.

Interview went well, will find out results at the start of next week. Also got invited to another Tesco interview at another branch which is a little bit further away. It's a group interview, the woman didn't even tell me which company it was on the phone, and it was 24 hours notice. Urgh.
Original post by cbblitz
Spent £60 in the end. Luckily I got some money sent over in ironic timing for it.

Interview went well, will find out results at the start of next week. Also got invited to another Tesco interview at another branch which is a little bit further away. It's a group interview, the woman didn't even tell me which company it was on the phone, and it was 24 hours notice. Urgh.

I remember you asking about the interview before, good to hear it went well! Was it a one on one interview or a group? Also definitely go to the other interview if it isn't too far away, worth it just incase this one doesn't pull through.
Original post by slowdive
Produce is fruit and veg. You mainly rotate stock, making sure the veg and fruit aisle is nicely presented and always full of fruit and veg for the customers. You'll also record waste (which is a really annoying job by the way, which you'll understand soon) Overall it's a nice job in a good department.

And don't forget reductions. People literally fight over food reductions in my store. It's funny to watch but gets annoying when bringing trays out while having arms attack you lol.

Spoiler

Original post by johnTroy1
And don't forget reductions. People literally fight over food reductions in my store. It's funny to watch but gets annoying when bringing trays out while having arms attack you lol.

Spoiler

Haha yeah, I currently work in check outs quite late now and I always get reductions come through (when their whole damn shop is reduced foods) and they're so damn hard to scan especially from bakery, they just layer about 5 barcodes on top of each other.
Haha yeah, I currently work in check outs quite late now and I always get reductions come through (when their whole damn shop is reduced foods) and they're so damn hard to scan especially from bakery, they just layer about 5 barcodes on top of each other.

I know the feeling :biggrin:
I remember you asking about the interview before, good to hear it went well! Was it a one on one interview or a group? Also definitely go to the other interview if it isn't too far away, worth it just incase this one doesn't pull through.

Yeah one on one with a few "Tell me a time which you ____" questions and then I spent 20 minutes talking with and following someone working on the shelves.

I'll defo go to the other one. Got an interview in Sainsburys on Friday as well. Don't have enough proper clothes for all this **** haha.
Did my second interview today. Funny comparing the two.

Interview in Store 1:- One on one interview. 20 minutes shadowing someone who spoke very broken English and pretending I understood him as he stacked shelves.

Interview in Store 2:- 7 person interview. 3 over age 18. Similar interview questions, albeit it in a group. Then a "group task" followed by interaction with customers and bag packing.

I went into interview 2 really not caring, but ended up wanting that one much more. Little bit further but I was given a very clear indication of what the jobs would be in that one compared to the other. I'd say I have a good chance based on age and availability. Felt I have a good chance in both of them tbh.

Question: What do I do if I get my phone call from store 1, which is due about Monday? Is it possible to delay it for a few days (the following Friday) until I hear back from the other interviews with store 2 and Sainsburys?
Reply 2267
I applied for a part time position in backdoor and warehouse, I got a call 3 hours later asking me in for an interview tomorrow (today now) and to bring id and my NI number. I can assume what most of the roles in the job will be (putting deliveries away and stacking shelves),, but the post doesn't actually have any specifics; it has a copy pasted description about working with customers (which I doubt will be happening at 5am at a non-24hr store).

So I'm just curious about the possible duties, and pay for a 21 year old as it just says competitive.

Thanks
Original post by Inaar
I applied for a part time position in backdoor and warehouse, I got a call 3 hours later asking me in for an interview tomorrow (today now) and to bring id and my NI number. I can assume what most of the roles in the job will be (putting deliveries away and stacking shelves),, but the post doesn't actually have any specifics; it has a copy pasted description about working with customers (which I doubt will be happening at 5am at a non-24hr store).

So I'm just curious about the possible duties, and pay for a 21 year old as it just says competitive.

Thanks

Pay I believe is 7.20 for everyone in Tesco. Some places will pay 6.95 for under 25s but I don't believe they do.
Reply 2269
Great news, although not what I applied for, I got a bakery position and start next week. Pay is £8.02 in this Tesco which is very different from what I've seen in this post.

Good luck to any other applicants :biggrin:
hey when you do the intrerview how long till you hear from them for induction. what you do
Reply 2271
Original post by reim123
hey when you do the intrerview how long till you hear from them for induction. what you do

I was invited to the induction straight after my interview. However other stores may have a few days waiting time if there's a lot of interest in the position.
Original post by Inaar
Great news, although not what I applied for, I got a bakery position and start next week. Pay is £8.02 in this Tesco which is very different from what I've seen in this post.

Good luck to any other applicants :biggrin:

Congrats! :smile: Are you by any chance working on Sundays? There is a premium on night work and Sunday work, so any hours worked during those have a higher pay than the base £7.20.
Original post by reim123

They called me a couple of hours after my interview to offer me the job, but I'm sure it's different for different stores -- so it might be almost instant, or it could be a few days or longer. I hope it's soon for you also; it's tough waiting to hear back.
I'm supposed to hear back from store 1, my least favourite of the two, on Monday, and then store 2, the one I want, around Friday.

Obviously I'm not sure if I'm going to get either, but the interviews went well and I can't really see any reason why I wouldn't be.

Since I would prefer store 2, what should I do if I get accepted to store 1 on Monday? Should I accept it and then tell them I won't be able to take the job if I get the other one? Inductions would start around 2-3 weeks away.
Can someone please explain how the pay works things like location pay and overtime and premiums
Reply 2276
It's my first proper day today but I have no idea where to go: should I ask at Customer Service like I had to at Induction? Should I try and find my line manager? Have a look in the Colleague Room?
Original post by Korvax
It's my first proper day today but I have no idea where to go: should I ask at Customer Service like I had to at Induction? Should I try and find my line manager? Have a look in the Colleague Room?

That's a tough question, I had no idea where to go either last week. I work nights, so customer services wasn't open -- instead I went into the Colleague Room and asked the people in there whether they knew where I should go. :smile: They directed me to the manager, who showed me the rest. So you could definitely try doing the same, but it probably wouldn't hurt to ask again at customer services either, if they are open.

Thinking about it, it might be better if you can go into the colleague room and find the manager yourself (with the help of whoever is in there.) Whichever way, very best of luck on your first day, and congrats for getting the job!
Original post by Korvax

Just go in, go to the security desk (providing they have one) and ask them for the duty manager. They will call for him/her and you'll be sorted.
Reply 2279
Original post by zabveniye
Congrats! :smile: Are you by any chance working on Sundays? There is a premium on night work and Sunday work, so any hours worked during those have a higher pay than the base £7.20.

I am working Sundays but from talking to the people manager, the rate was not including extra premium pay such as night hours. But I'll find out when it comes to payday I guess, on break from induction right now. There's a lot to take in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending