The Student Room Group

Job Offer Dilemma

So, I did some travelling around various different countries for a year, and have recently returned to "Glorious Britain" to revive a career. I've been back 3.5 months but have been actively seeking for work for around 2.5 months.

I've had some joy in terms of numerous first and second interviews, but then I seem to get pipped to the post which is always gutting. I work in Graphic Design and have 2 solid years of experience along with a degree, but these rejections were really bothering to me. It got to the stage where I was desperate for a job, both because I needed the money and also that applying for jobs on a daily basis was seriously boring and soul-crushing.

However as of Thursday 20th Oct I have been offered a job which overall was great news! The only problem is that the role isn't one that I can see myself in long term which is a massive red flag. I want a job I will enjoy and see some real development and future in, I don't want to job-hop because I am desperate. Plus explaining that on a CV or job interview situation doesn't show a committed and reliable candidate. I told the MD that I was delighted that they selected me, but needed some time to mull the decision over just so I was 100% happy in committing.

The role itself isn't as interesting as my last position, the money isn't very good compared to the market (although I knew this when I was applying) and it would require travel to which in the long run will be costly.

I do however have a second interview lined up this coming Monday 24th Oct which I really do want, plus the first interview went very well so stand a very good chance (I might be over qualified if anything). It is actually a considerable amount of extra money, it's something which I think I can learn a lot from (a big company), and it's so close to where I live I wouldn't have to pay a fortune in fuel for my car.

So this is my predicament, I've been constantly job searching and finally found something. However I think there is still a better job out there but I don't want to mess the confirmed job offer up.

I don't want to come across as a wining b**ch as I am extremely fortunate(which I am) but any advice on this would be so appreciated. What would you do?

(*Other than my second interview I have this coming Monday I have had a lot of communication with businesses and recruiters asking for my availability for interviews etc. It's just like buses, you wait for one and two come along at once.*)
1) Do I accept the 1st offer of Company A, and still go to the 2nd interview of Company B (preferred employer) in the hope that I get it?

2) Or do I tell the Company A that I still need more time which doesn't reflect well on me as it looks obvious I am stalling for something better to come along?
Option 1.
Reply 3
Go for option 1 and take the job and still attend the other interview and if you're offered the other job too then you could always just quit the first job given you wouldn't be there long so wouldn't be too awkward ? Good luck
Original post by fefssdf
Go for option 1 and take the job and still attend the other interview and if you're offered the other job too then you could always just quit the first job given you wouldn't be there long so wouldn't be too awkward ? Good luck

Thanks for the the advice, I think I will take it go for Option 1. After so long waiting for a role I think I have to be selfish in this position, even though it sit quite right with me on a morale level.
Why on earth did you apply for it and let yhe business waste time and resources on recruiting you only to second-guess it?

If you know you won't be happy in a role; and that the company offers a low salary and limited options for progression, particularly to the point of you whining online about how unhappy you'd be, don't apply.
Original post by pmc:producer
Why on earth did you apply for it and let yhe business waste time and resources on recruiting you only to second-guess it?

If you know you won't be happy in a role; and that the company offers a low salary and limited options for progression, particularly to the point of you whining online about how unhappy you'd be, don't apply.

Job hunting is very difficult right now and people get desperate and will take anything that will give them money. I'm a graduate searching for work and I'm now applying for retail positions just to get some money in but I'll quit the moment I get a better job offer. It's just what people have to do.

Option 1 OP. At least you'll have a job if the interview doesn't work out, and if it does then you have a great new job!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beccagood95
Job hunting is very difficult right now and people get desperate and will take anything that will give them money. I'm a graduate searching for work and I'm now applying for retail positions just to get some money in but I'll quit the moment I get a better job offer. It's just what people have to do.

Option 1 OP. At least you'll have a job if the interview doesn't work out, and if it does then you have a great new job!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty spot on, Company A isn't a bad role and I'm not unhappy about it, but Company B offer a bit more in my eyes. As a jobseeker you don't apply for single jobs at a time waiting for the hiring manager to contact you, because you would simply never become employed. This is just a case of bad timing and I have made my decision.

Even if Company A wasn't there I would be looking for a new role whilst still working there. I've been to numerous 2nd interview stages that don't materialise to an offer, and although I know it might not be the most professional of decisions, as a jobseeker you have to think about yourself. People have a right to change their minds.

This was the reason I asked the question to get a gauge of what other young jobseekers would do.

Many Thanks.
Original post by beccagood95

Posted from TSR Mobile

This point is completely void given the OP applied knowing he wouldn't want it. If you or he/she is that desperate; don't come on here whining about applying for a job you don't want and getting an offer - take the job instead. Jesus Christ, it really is that simply. Pathetic.
Original post by PMaccer
This was the reason I asked the question to get a gauge of what other young jobseekers would do.

Many Thanks.

This other young jobseeker would stop wasting employers resources. Believe in myself and have the confidence to pursue and secure a job I actually want.

Good luck with your job hunt - are start being more picky.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending