The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MichaelV2
I've been looking around and found all sorts of stats for the Oxford Engineering course.
What I really want to know but can't find anywhere, however, is the generic score required in the PAT to get shortlisted.
Anyone here got a clue?

The score for interview cut off for physics is in each PAT report, but I don't know if/how it varies for engineering sorry! There won't be a 'generic score' though because it can vary quite a lot from year to year.
Original post by Lauren1498x
That sounds good! Oxford has come up to our school to do interview workshops last month as well as Cambridge, basically they divided us up humanities and sciences and then gave us prompt material to discuss. This sounds similar? But yeah post about it that would be helpful

They came to Hong Kong and that's what we did as well. They gave us cards with past interview questions to discuss within our group.
Original post by JessicaApple
They came to Hong Kong and that's what we did as well. They gave us cards with past interview questions to discuss within our group.

Yep exactly what we had! I quite enjoyed it though
Reply 1423
How's everyone's application going?

I remember asking this recently but nobody replied as it got buried quickly. Or maybe I've turned into a pariah in my own thread.
Original post by Palette

I remember asking this recently but nobody replied as it got buried quickly. Or maybe I've turned into a pariah in my own thread.

Good just waiting... :tongue:
Original post by wolfmoon88
Good just waiting... :tongue:

I'd say the same here.
Original post by Palette

Got acknowledgement a few days ago from Balliol (for Chemistry) and...
"You should receive much more detailed and specific information from the college or hall before the end of October."
Argh I'm so impatient :colondollar:
Original post by Lau14
The score for interview cut off for physics is in each PAT report, but I don't know if/how it varies for engineering sorry! There won't be a 'generic score' though because it can vary quite a lot from year to year.

Cheers
Reply 1428
Original post by Pentaquark
Got acknowledgement a few days ago from Balliol (for Chemistry) and...
"You should receive much more detailed and specific information from the college or hall before the end of October."
Argh I'm so impatient :colondollar:

How's the TSA going for you?
Did you do well in your GCSEs?Yeah, 12A* 1A

Which A Levels are you doing?History, Geography, politics and biology (predicted A*A*A*A*)

Which course do you plan to apply for?
Law (jurisprudence)

Do any particular colleges interest you?
St. Edmunds
Why?
Location, drinking, sport, size, age... lots

What are your hobbies?
drinking, playing golf, playing rugby, mainly drinking

If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of the day?
Drink, and drink a lot. I'll probably still be drunk from the night before drinking away my anxiety but would crack out the grey goose and moet, instead rob guiness and sambuca.
Original post by Palette
How's the TSA going for you?

I'm avoiding it rn lol
Would rather spend my time doing some further reading instead anyway.
Thankfully it doesn't matter too much for Chemistry!
I plan to cram all the papers next week to prepare me before the 2nd of November. And yeah hope for the best. :colondollar:
Has anyone got a acknowledgement from Wadham? I still haven't and I sent my application on the 4th of October

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1432
I'm avoiding it rn lol
Would rather spend my time doing some further reading instead anyway.
Thankfully it doesn't matter too much for Chemistry!
I plan to cram all the papers next week to prepare me before the 2nd of November. And yeah hope for the best. :colondollar:

Best wishes for the TSA!

I do wonder why they couldn't be bothered to make a chemistry specific test instead.

I have the MAT to prepare for and it's looking horrible. I'm trying to get through as much as I can, but I wonder if all my work has been done in vain.
Original post by Palette
but I wonder if all my work has been done in vain.

No it won't have been. Even if you don't get in, you will be a better mathematician as a result of that preparation.
Original post by Palette
Best wishes for the TSA!

I do wonder why they couldn't be bothered to make a chemistry specific test instead.

I have the MAT to prepare for and it's looking horrible. I'm trying to get through as much as I can, but I wonder if all my work has been done in vain.

Good luck to you too for MAT!
All work is better than no work.
As long as you give it your best shot :redface: I tell that to myself everyday
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1435
Hey, I know this is super late but I thought I might as well give it a go. I'm a Scottish student so I just tweaked a couple of the questions.

Did you do well in previous exams?
Yeah, so far I've got 6As at national 5, 6As at Higher and 1A at Advanced higher (ps unlike England there's no such thing as an A*)

Which Advanced Highers are you doing? Biology, Maths & Chemistry (predicted AAA)

Which course do you plan to apply for?
Biological Sciences:h:

Which college did you apply to? Why?

Worcester College! Went there on the open day and loved the feel of it. Also 3 years guaranteed accommodation, medium size, central ish location, the lake etc.

What are your hobbies?
Music and drama:biggrin: Did my grade 8 in piano a while back and am working towards the same in percussion & voice. Almost all my free time at school is spent in either a choir or orchestra.

If you were given a place next year, what would you do for the rest of the day?
Initially, I probably wouldn't believe it. After a few moments of complete disbelief I would either scream or cry for joy before telling close friends and family!
Reply 1436
I'll be applying for History and haven't even started preparing for the HAT...any tips on how to cram in a week? :/
Original post by mk9899
I'll be applying for History and haven't even started preparing for the HAT...any tips on how to cram in a week? :/

Panic :biggrin:

I'm just going to forget the fact that I do 4 a levels, and focus on MAT revision around all the things I foolishly agreed to go to this week

Which college?:h:
Reply 1438
Original post by Vicky628
Panic :biggrin:

I'm just going to forget the fact that I do 4 a levels, and focus on MAT revision around all the things I foolishly agreed to go to this week

Which college?:h:

Hertford-

I'm applying from the US and have early applications due this week as well. I think I've accepted the fact Oxford might not be for me :/
Reply 1439
Original post by Plagioclase
No it won't have been. Even if you don't get in, you will be a better mathematician as a result of that preparation.

Good luck to you too for MAT!
All work is better than no work.
As long as you give it your best shot :redface: I tell that to myself everyday

Thanks! I'm still deciding how to allocate my revision time for Year 13 but hopefully I will be able to survive intact. I have two subjects for which I have to revise both Year 12 and Year 13 material, and I'm hoping that Red Bull can help me with that.

Original post by mk9899

I have a friend who is taking the HAT and he said that you can't really prepare for it that much... Regarding history, I finished watching a documentary on Nazi Germany just now. I wonder how long it took for the Allies (especially the Soviets) to actually forgive the German people for supporting Hitler.

Latest

Trending

Trending