The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
Essays are subjective anyway so I wouldn't get bogged down on it. It's more the timing, structure and fluency of argument - which you can judge for yourself.

Did you answer all the questions?

Yes, though some were guesses as I ran out of time, so I must've made some good guesses.
Original post by Buymoria
Do you know how much emphasis is placed on the essay or is it more one for the tutors to use in the interview provided that your ECAA/grades/ps are good enough? (also gj on the specimen)

I remember on the open day I was told that they look at everything equally and they generally would like good performances across the board. There are no weightings; your section A and section B scores will not be combined, you will have separate scores for each part. The person I spoke to did say that it is possible that a good performance in one section could make up for a less impressive score in the other, however I think how the scores are used will really depend on the admissions tutors at each college.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Yes, though some were guesses as I ran out of time, so I must've made some good guesses.

Good job.

A tip from my TSA book: simply skip a question if you can't do it (and make that decision within 20secs), then you'll have plenty of time to narrow down the options and make guesses with a theoretically higher chance of getting it right.
was it me or was the problem solving really easy compared to the maths?

haha i found the maths fairly easy compared to problem solving
Reply 2684
Original post by jamestg
- TSA papers
- MAT papers
- http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/test-of-mathematics-for-university-admission/preparation/ <- this (some of the questions are even the same as those on the ECAA specimen lol, infer what you will from that)

I tried the Test of Maths Paper 1, found it really tough and now feeling stupid. The questions I could get a start at I was getting right - but around half the questions I'd never seen anything like before. Is everyone here just maths geniuses, or have you come across these types of question as part of A-level? I'm coming from the Scottish curriculum.
Original post by ewnraw
I tried the Test of Maths Paper 1, found it really tough and now feeling stupid. The questions I could get a start at I was getting right - but around half the questions I'd never seen anything like before. Is everyone here just maths geniuses, or have you come across these types of question as part of A-level? I'm coming from the Scottish curriculum.

I found it pretty easy, but I'm by no means a genius. The style of questions won't be similar to A-level (or Scottish Highers).

The paper is designed to be accessible to all candidates, providing they are doing advanced Maths - so the questions should be fine.

Just remember that these tests are designed for the best of the best, so don't be disheartened if you're struggling. I would recommend going through last year's Maths content and then tackle the questions again :smile:
Seeing that they provided 6 pages for the writing section...Idk what Cambridge is expecting.... O_o
Original post by Soulgeass
Seeing that they provided 6 pages for the writing section...Idk what Cambridge is expecting.... O_o

Some people have big handwriting or only write on alternate lines! Don't feel you need to fill the book!
Original post by AnIndianGuy
Probably the weakest candidate on this thread.

GCSEs: 10 A*'s and 1 A^

AS: AAAB
92% UMS for Maths (A* prediction)
114/160 for Chemistry (A* prediction)
129/160 for Economics (A* prediction)
91/140 for Biology (Dropped that B)

Also doing Further Maths AS this year for the lulz. Don't know how to prepare for the ECAA don't think I have a chance vs you guys but good luck everyone. Open applications ftw.

lol struggling to see how you're the weakest candidate but okay... you're grades are absolutely great!
Just wondering has anyone filled in the additional personal statement in the SAQ.
Reply 2690
Original post by Themathsdebater
Just wondering has anyone filled in the additional personal statement in the SAQ.

Yep, was a lot of effort to try to make it as good as personal statement, whilst still trying to keep it within the character limit.
Original post by AOT
Yep, was a lot of effort to try to make it as good as personal statement, whilst still trying to keep it within the character limit.

Did you just write what you liked about the Cambridge course? Surely that's something that would come up at interview anyway? IDK if I should be filling it even though they say it's 'optional'
Reply 2692
Did you just write what you liked about the Cambridge course? Surely that's something that would come up at interview anyway? IDK if I should be filling it even though they say it's 'optional'

The advice I saw on the Pembroke College website was that it is only really useful to them if it is a course you can't apply for elsewhere like ASNAC or Land Economy (so you can't really tailor the normal personal statement to it).

Seeing as it is due tomorrow and it is the weekend so you might struggle to get teachers to check it or whatever, I personally wouldn't bother. I reckon lots of people won't do it anyway and it is probably among the less important factors they consider. Also it might detract from your application if it is not at least as good as the normal personal statement.
IDK if I should be filling it even though they say it's 'optional'

Original post by AOT
The advice I saw on the Pembroke College website was that it is only really useful to them if it is a course you can't apply for elsewhere like ASNAC or Land Economy (so you can't really tailor the normal personal statement to it).

According to the ATs, most people leave it blank.
Reply 2694
Original post by jneill
According to the ATs, most people leave it blank.

Thank you for your input.
However I can't help but think that it may be worth at least saying something (even just a couple of lines) as it may still tell them something, or say something about you as a candidate.
Original post by AOT
Thank you for your input.
However I can't help but think that it may be worth at least saying something (even just a couple of lines) as it may still tell them something, or say something about you as a candidate.

Your choice of course.

But... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=68123216&postcount=14
Reply 2696

Interesting to say the least...
Original post by jamestg
I found it pretty easy, but I'm by no means a genius. The style of questions won't be similar to A-level (or Scottish Highers).

The paper is designed to be accessible to all candidates, providing they are doing advanced Maths - so the questions should be fine.

Just remember that these tests are designed for the best of the best, so don't be disheartened if you're struggling. I would recommend going through last year's Maths content and then tackle the questions again :smile:

Do you think we should be expecting the problem solving questions to be of the same standard of those in past TSAs?
Do you think we should be expecting the problem solving questions to be of the same standard of those in past TSAs?

TSA questions will be good practice but I don't really want to comment on whether they are of a similar standard because I have no real authority.

Practice using: TSA questions, the Test for Mathematics admission specimen and the specimen paper for the ECAA.
So how did everybody do on the ECAA specimen?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending