The Student Room Group

CAT Prep

Hi any Oxford classicists! I've set up this forum so that we can hopefully prepare for the CAT together, sharing any resources or vocab lists or tips. Bear in mind that I am only doing Latin so far, but I do have some past papers if anyone wants to hmu and trade. Good luck either way!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I've been going over vocab mostly. I would absolutely love any past papers, if you'd PM me. I'm just doing Latin as well. Good luck!
Anyone here doing the CLAT? I'm doing it for the second time and I sure hope it will go better than last year... that thing is fun with unlimited time but stressful otherwise!
Reply 3
Original post by mazzaion
Anyone here doing the CLAT? I'm doing it for the second time and I sure hope it will go better than last year... that thing is fun with unlimited time but stressful otherwise!

Yeah I've got to do both sections but I really enjoyed the CLAT. I'm thinking of just doing a ton of Linguistics Olympiad questions and Latin unseens
Original post by MCPClark
Yeah I've got to do both sections but I really enjoyed the CLAT. I'm thinking of just doing a ton of Linguistics Olympiad questions and Latin unseens

Wow I didn't know that Linguistic Olympiad was a thing... this is so useful! Thank you!
Reply 5
Wow I didn't know that Linguistic Olympiad was a thing... this is so useful! Thank you!

That's what we're here for! Have you got any tips for it?
I'm dreading the CAT... I have no idea how to prepare other than doing unseens :s-smilie: I do Latin and Greek, but I'd love Latin past papers if you have them :smile:
That's what we're here for! Have you got any tips for it?

For me, the thing I learnt from doing the CLAT last year was to not overly stress about every single detail because time runs out fast and is limited... I personally like to write down everything because I don't remember the patterns.
Remembering they're testing you for Greek and Latin is quite useful too, looking for declensions and those kind of specific, ancient language signposts.

Linguistic Olympiads is very good training though, exactly the kind of questions that comes up..
Reply 8
For me, the thing I learnt from doing the CLAT last year was to not overly stress about every single detail because time runs out fast and is limited... I personally like to write down everything because I don't remember the patterns.
Remembering they're testing you for Greek and Latin is quite useful too, looking for declensions and those kind of specific, ancient language signposts.

Linguistic Olympiads is very good training though, exactly the kind of questions that comes up..

Also the MLAT has a section for language aptitude test which seems pretty similar. Are you reapplying?
Also the MLAT has a section for language aptitude test which seems pretty similar. Are you reapplying?

Yep, I didn't get in last year but got good feedback and was encouraged to do so when I chatted to the tutor who interviewed me at the open days... so here I am :tongue:
Reply 10
Yep, I didn't get in last year but got good feedback and was encouraged to do so when I chatted to the tutor who interviewed me at the open days... so here I am :tongue:

What course are you applying for then? I'm just new to it all
What course are you applying for then? I'm just new to it all

Classics IIB, so the one with Greek from scratch when you don't have any classical language to a-level :smile:
Reply 12
Classics IIB, so the one with Greek from scratch when you don't have any classical language to a-level :smile:

Good luck with it! What college are you going for?
Good luck with it! What college are you going for?

Brasenose, all about the most over-subscribed colleges... How about you?
To be fair, I'm still not entirely over Corpus Christi from last year, especially as some of my interview friends are there now and send pictures :'')
Reply 14
Brasenose, all about the most over-subscribed colleges... How about you?
To be fair, I'm still not entirely over Corpus Christi from last year, especially as some of my interview friends are there now and send pictures :'':wink:

I've gone for New. I know Classics with Oriental Studies is a weird course and it says on New's website that they're looking to expand their COS department so I'm hoping for the best!
I've gone for New. I know Classics with Oriental Studies is a weird course and it says on New's website that they're looking to expand their COS department so I'm hoping for the best!

You're going for Classics and Oriental Studies? I want to switch to that after the first year if I get in, which I learnt you could do, because I didn't find a similar course at any other universities... :biggrin: What Oriental Language are you going for?
Hey! Applying for Classics I with Latin to a level, biggest challenge for me will probs be the vocab :s-smilie:. Anyone got any good sources for vocab revision?
Original post by Kalahari99
Hey! Applying for Classics I with Latin to a level, biggest challenge for me will probs be the vocab :s-smilie:. Anyone got any good sources for vocab revision?

I'm currently trying to learn a 1200 word pre-u recommended vocab list - not entirely sure how thats gonna work out though... other than that just try learning all the vocab you meet in unseens that you didn't know i guess :smile:
Original post by lizzie2707
I'm currently trying to learn a 1200 word pre-u recommended vocab list - not entirely sure how thats gonna work out though... other than that just try learning all the vocab you meet in unseens that you didn't know i guess :smile:

Awesome thank you :biggrin: just out of interest what college are u applying for?
Original post by Kalahari99
Awesome thank you :biggrin: just out of interest what college are u applying for?

magdalen - you?

Quick Reply

Latest