The Student Room Group

Best medical interview practice books/courses

I want to prepare for any interviews I may get for Medicine, so any help on the best books and interview courses I can buy would be very helpful :tongue:

My choices are Aberdeen, Hull York, Leicester and Sheffield - they're all MMI

Update: I've bought the ISC medical interview book and a book by Philip McElnay, and the course run by The Medic Portal
Update 2: Looks like my prep worked, I've got an offer from HY!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Actually Hull York is not MMI. There is a group interview where you are given a task/case to talk about. There is also other parts to this interview but definitely not MMI
Reply 2
Original post by Mr PB
Actually Hull York is not MMI. There is a group interview where you are given a task/case to talk about. There is also other parts to this interview but definitely not MMI

http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/our-applications-process/our-selection-procedure

If you open 'What happens at interview' you can see it says their interview is MMI!

'Our Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) process is a carefully structured sequence of stations. These can take place in any order.' (direct quote)
Hi there,
I'm thinking of purchasing the ISC interview book but it seems a bit dated... do you think it's still worth it?
Tysm
Reply 4
Original post by Gwenog_quidditch
Hi there,
I'm thinking of purchasing the ISC interview book but it seems a bit dated... do you think it's still worth it?
Tysm

The most recent publication from ISC is I think fairly new (2013), but I remember the older version was very helpful with it having a whole list of possible questions, concepts for Medical Ethics and a whole lot more really.
I have heard that UCL are doing an AspireMed Interview Course, it could be something worth looking at
Original post by T11
The most recent publication from ISC is I think fairly new (2013), but I remember the older version was very helpful with it having a whole list of possible questions, concepts for Medical Ethics and a whole lot more really.
I have heard that UCL are doing an AspireMed Interview Course, it could be something worth looking at

Ah all right, I'll look it up, thank you.
Reply 6
Hi everyone, got my first interview offer a few days ago! This forum is very useful.

Had my first 1 hour interview coaching session today - someone on this forum mentioned ukmeducation

They were very good, however they said their groups are all full at present. I would ideally like to do this in a group as it will be better to learn from each other. I'm from London - if anyone is interested in doing some group tuition with them please let me know?
Original post by April1122
Hi everyone, got my first interview offer a few days ago! This forum is very useful.

Had my first 1 hour interview coaching session today - someone on this forum mentioned ukmeducation

They were very good, however they said their groups are all full at present. I would ideally like to do this in a group as it will be better to learn from each other. I'm from London - if anyone is interested in doing some group tuition with them please let me know?

How was the coaching session structured?
Reply 8
As I was on my own, they focussed it on general, what they call "introductory" questions - so things like "why do you want to study medicine", "why this university" and we discussed how my answers could be improved.

The group sessions also look good: they said it depends on the strengths and weaknesses of the group; its usually 2 hour sessions (each session focusses on a different area: approx 5-10 sessions required overall depending on what we want to focus on). They will go through the basic/common questions, as well ethics, and MMI stuff, as well as areas we want to focus on; and it looks like they will give us some reading to do between them.
Original post by April1122

Hi there! I am interested in joining this group if its not too late?
Original post by Asian_persuasion
Hi there! I am interested in joining this group if its not too late?

Same :P
Original post by medicfudge
Hey, first year medic here It's still early days with interview prep, but some of you could get an interview in December!! (I got my first interview in November - was not expecting it at all!!) I started off with making sure I was up to date with current affairs (BBC app on the way back from college is fab) and preparing using online resources and interview books like ISC. I also went on some courses because I felt like I needed more practice especially with MMI stations which can be hard to prepare for. Practice practice practice! But don't worry about it too much - staying calm is key :smile: If you're considering going to a course I'd deffo consider how much feedback they would give on the day - some are soo expensive like 150 min for a group size of 30 and no actual feedback! Also don't feel that the more expensive a course is the better it would be - I went to a few last year because I felt so unprepared and honestly only like one of them (MedICU) genuinely helped (1:1 mock interview + MMI practice + v small group) and it was the cheapest, I think it's about 89 now for the full day. Last year the tutors (students) stayed behind at the end to answer more questions as well which didn't really happen with the other courses :frown: so honestly if you are considering a course and want extra practice, go for it! you will get your money's worth Look them up on Facebook, they have great reviews.

Thanks for the advice! How many courses did you go on last year? I have booked a course through Medic Portal but it doesnt involve a full day MMI prep.. And do you think I should book another course? I have an interview early January..
The interview course I guess would be good for first time appliers. The MMI course I found to be really useful and highly recommend it IMHO done by the medic portal.
Thinking of going on a mock interview course, found this one run by medaheaduk which popped up on my facebook, has anyone been to one of their courses or know whether they're any good?
Original post by Chimpgreenfield
Thinking of going on a mock interview course, found this one run by medaheaduk which popped up on my facebook, has anyone been to one of their courses or know whether they're any good?

Not sure about that one. I am doing the medheads.co.uk course. I havent heard of medaheadUK.com before. I did the medheads.co.uk in November for traditional interviews and got an offer two days ago!! :smile::smile:

Therefore, I have booked an MMI course which they are holding in January. They were sold out but I emailed them and they made an extra slot. Sooo maybe it will work for you too! :wink:
Reply 15
Hi,
I was wondering if the medic portal MMI course was worth it? I am debating whether to pay to go on a course or not and would appreciate any recommendations

Thanks
Do the MSAG course imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hew123
Hi,
I was wondering if the medic portal MMI course was worth it? I am debating whether to pay to go on a course or not and would appreciate any recommendations

Thanks

My friend did the MMI course with Medic Portal, and she said it was pretty useful. Sometimes the interviewers don't make improvement notes, so you have to ask them (at least in her session).

I did the other Medic Portal course (only one on offer before my first interview), and it was absolutely useless. Everything they taught us was on the Medic Portal website for free :colonhash:

I've heard better reviews for the ISC interview course, so check that out too!
Reply 18
Original post by Pantego
Do the MSAG course imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I am going to go for the MSAG course instead of the medic portal one. if you have done it, do you reccommend the interview course or the MMI practice circuit?

Thanks for your help
Original post by hew123
I think I am going to go for the MSAG course instead of the medic portal one. if you have done it, do you reccommend the interview course or the MMI practice circuit?

Thanks for your help

The interview course unless you're quite prepared already. The circuits are only useful if you purely need practice. Whereas the interview course focuses on knowledge and skills, how to answer questions etc and has practice at the end of the session.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending