The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey I'm wondering if anyone thinks I have a realistic chance of getting an interview?
My GCSEs are 4A*s and 5As(a merit and a pass in two btecs too) and I went to a school that performs below the national average for GCSEs.
My As are AABC (bio,socio,chem and eng lang) and my predicted are A*AA. My Ukcat is 586.
I applied to St George's, Imperial, BSMS and bristol. Thanks for any advice
Reply 9181
Original post by Theplace
Do,you have any idea why your Emglish was C? Was it you, the school or a difficult exam board? Or a combination?

It was a difficult exam a lot of people who were also predicted As also got Cs
Reply 9182
Maybe there were extenuating circumstances. He got an A in geography and that is essay based. Plus it could have been the school's inability to teach the subject well.
Or perhaps they forgot to enter his coursework. It does happen.

Do you think the A in geography would make any difference?
Reply 9183
Original post by usycool1
If you don't meet the minimum requirements, your application won't be looked into further sadly no matter how good your other stats may be. You can get in, but it will be difficult - not many Med Schools accept lower than a B in English.

I've found a couple of unis which accept a C in English language do you think I'll stand a chance of getting in?
Reply 9184
School's do make mitakes.
However the official deadline for medical schol has passed, though he could still lit in an application, but it's too late for UKCAT. Is it too late for BMAT?

I'm currently in year 12
Original post by AA327
I've found a couple of unis which accept a C in English language do you think I'll stand a chance of getting in?

If,you meet the other requirements, yes.
Original post by AA327
It was a difficult exam a lot of people who were also predicted As also got Cs

Mention this in the PS and reference.
Lots of info here about Applying for Medicine : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

PS. If you don't meet the GCSE requirement then you will be rejected on first sift. You have time to retake GCSEs alongside your A levels and such retakes will not count against you. However, this also means that you can't claim extenuating circumstances for GCSEs - ie. you could have retaken them in time, but you chose not to.
Original post by returnmigrant
Lots of info here about Applying for Medicine : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

PS. If you don't meet the GCSE requirement then you will be rejected on first sift. You have time to retake GCSEs alongside your A levels and such retakes will not count against you. However, this also means that you can't claim extenuating circumstances for GCSEs - ie. you could have retaken them in time, but you chose not to.

Some unis do not accept resits.....check this out. Each medical,school has their own requirements, and don't ve fooled by the ones with few requirements. They have a very high bar.
You've got to remember your competing against people that got straight A*'s/A's. You really need to ask yourself why your exams so far haven't been very strong and if you can turn that around for A-level to perform a lot better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kemiko21
Hey I'm wondering if anyone thinks I have a realistic chance of getting an interview?
My GCSEs are 4A*s and 5As(a merit and a pass in two btecs too) and I went to a school that performs below the national average for GCSEs.
My As are AABC (bio,socio,chem and eng lang) and my predicted are A*AA. My Ukcat is 586.
I applied to St George's, Imperial, BSMS and bristol. Thanks for any advice

I can say right now you won't get an interview for SGUL.
Bristol is so competitive and so subjective that it's really difficult to tell, if you feel that your PS is strong, then it's possible?
As long as you do well on the BMAT then there's no reason why you won't be interviewed at Imperial or BSMS :smile:

You've sent off your application now, though, so there's no point worrying about it, just make sure you do your best in the BMAT.
Original post by Gogregg
I can say right now you won't get an interview for SGUL.
Bristol is so competitive and so subjective that it's really difficult to tell, if you feel that your PS is strong, then it's possible?
As long as you do well on the BMAT then there's no reason why you won't be interviewed at Imperial or BSMS :smile:

You've sent off your application now, though, so there's no point worrying about it, just make sure you do your best in the BMAT.

Thanks for the advice! fingers crossed i do really well on the bmat
I am currently in s5 and take 4 Highers and 1 hnc in electrical engineering. For a long time I wanted to be an electrical engineer so I took the course thinking it would benefit me but I no longer want to be an engineer and I am very interested in being a surgeon so I need to study medicine. But this has created a problem now as I no longer do the correct amount of Highers for medicine. If I was to get 4 As in my Highers in s5 and then 2 As in Highers in s6 and 2As in advanced Highers and scored and excellent ukcat would I have a chance of getting excepted.
Which med school will look at me if i have 3a.s
Redo maths,bio chem and english language and get A's minimum.
Hi guys!:smile: I want to do medicine at uni but I am currently in year 12! I did IGCSE maths in January of year 11 and got an A but I did the normal aqa GCSE maths in june of year 11 and got an A*! So when I apply to uni, do I only need to give one of my maths grades(the A* one) or both and will they give me points for both together?:redface: Thank you for your help as this question has been going around in my head for quite a bit of time!:colondollar:
You put both on your UCAS application as you have to declare every qualification you've done an exam for and received a result in. They'll most likely use the higher grade out of the two (not both) when scoring your application, but I'm not 100% sure on this.
Original post by starstudent7
Hi guys!:smile: I want to do medicine at uni but I am currently in year 12! I did IGCSE maths in January of year 11 and got an A but I did the normal aqa GCSE maths in june of year 11 and got an A*! So when I apply to uni, do I only need to give one of my maths grades(the A* one) or both and will they give me points for both together?:redface: Thank you for your help as this question has been going around in my head for quite a bit of time!:colondollar:

You put both.
Hi there,
I called Edinburgh before applying and told them my stats (7A* 3A, predicted 3A* 2A, strong PS and reference, Band 1 SJT and oops 610 avg UKCAT)
They said that they consider the applicant as a whole, and a weak UKCAT doesn't necessarily rule you out (they didn't say anything about a points system...). So I applied. But after discovering the points system on TSR today I'm beginning to despair about Edinburgh... Do you think I still have even a sliver of a chance?
Thank you x
cant i get in without like newcastle

Latest

Trending

Trending