The Student Room Group

Biology personal statement

Hi :biggrin:

I'm applying for Biology and currently writing about my work experience in my p.s; it involved learning about optometry! However, none of the courses I'm applying to have modules involving the eye/optometry (although we do learn about it within the A Level course). Even though it's not directly related to the course, is it still worth writing about seeing as it's very biology related?
Reply 1
Original post by sarahpenguin
Hi :biggrin:

I'm applying for Biology and currently writing about my work experience in my p.s; it involved learning about optometry! However, none of the courses I'm applying to have modules involving the eye/optometry (although we do learn about it within the A Level course). Even though it's not directly related to the course, is it still worth writing about seeing as it's very biology related?

You shouldn't write too much about what you learnt, because that's not relevant (even if the modules did contain optometry, you wouldn't want to just lecture the reader about the eye). But definitely include your work experience and why you enjoyed it.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You shouldn't write too much about what you learnt, because that's not relevant (even if the modules did contain optometry, you wouldn't want to just lecture the reader about the eye). But definitely include your work experience and why you enjoyed it.

Thank you! Is it ok if I include a sentence or two about what I learnt and then an extra sentence talking about how it enabled me to operate general scientific technology?
Reply 3
Original post by sarahpenguin
Thank you! Is it ok if I include a sentence or two about what I learnt and then an extra sentence talking about how it enabled me to operate general scientific technology?

You don't need to go into any detail, so something like "I learnt the functions of the optic nerve" would probably be ok but saying anything about rods and cones would be OTT.

It also depends how much space you have in your PS. If you've got so many other things to include, you'll need to keep this bit brief. But some people can be more succinct in writing, or may have fewer things to include. If so, this part can take up a bit more space.
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
You don't need to go into any detail, so something like "I learnt the functions of the optic nerve" would probably be ok but saying anything about rods and cones would be OTT.

It also depends how much space you have in your PS. If you've got so many other things to include, you'll need to keep this bit brief. But some people can be more succinct in writing, or may have fewer things to include. If so, this part can take up a bit more space.

Thanks so much :smile:
I found a cool article that maybe you could talk about in your biology personal statement?

https://www.crowdpondent.com/2016/11/05/the-end-of-hiv/
Reply 6
Original post by Studentdude999
I found a cool article that maybe you could talk about in your biology personal statement?

https://www.crowdpondent.com/2016/11/05/the-end-of-hiv/

That's really interesting! Thank ya loads :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending