The Student Room Group

University Entry Requirements change because of Mature Student Status?

When I start University in September I will be 21 years old. Does this mean that they are more likely to be more flexible with their entry requirements? (I finished my regular secondary education, and could have theoretically been at uni with them this year.)
Reply 1
Original post by ukcolBehT
When I start University in September I will be 21 years old. Does this mean that they are more likely to be more flexible with their entry requirements? (I finished my regular secondary education, and could have theoretically been at uni with them this year.)

It's unlikely. You will be a mature student, but won't have enough work experience to make up for a lack of qualifications
I think it depends on what degree you will be doing. If its something like Social Work or Youth Work then unis may take in some consideration if you have substantial work experience. But seeing that you are only just over the "mature student" threshold anyway I doubt it. If you were in your forties and had spent the last twenty years working with ,say under privileged children, then yes, it might help.

agree with others (have applied to uni as mature student) all my choices wanted same req as any other student. You really need some very relevent experience or perhaps applying somewhere with low standards
Reply 4
Original post by markova21
I think it depends on what degree you will be doing.

Computer Science

Original post by skeptical_john
agree with others (have applied to uni as mature student) all my choices wanted same req as any other student. You really need some very relevent experience or perhaps applying somewhere with low standards

(I finished secondary education this summer)

I don't necessarily have bad grades, but among other subjects I have a B, and the goal universities all require an A for the subject. I will retake either one module or 3 modules (1 to get an A, 3 to make it possible to get an A*). Assuming that universities usually increase the entry requirements for retakes, do you think it is possible that the entry requirements wont be increased to an A* because of my mature status?
Reply 5
Computer Science

I don't necessarily have bad grades, but among other subjects I have a B, and the goal universities all require an A for the subject. I will retake either one module or 3 modules (1 to get an A, 3 to make it possible to get an A*). Assuming that universities usually increase the entry requirements for retakes, do you think it is possible that the entry requirements wont be increased to an A* because of my mature status?

I would not automatically assume so. For a lot of mature applicants, they are accepted based on their work experience and (if relevant) their portfolio. The best thing to do would be to contact the universities you are thinking of applying to (either Admissions department or head of course) and discuss applying as a mature student - inform them of your grades, any work experience and anything else relevant to your application. They will either encourage your application or provide you with information on how to build up the required grades/work experience to begin the course. They may suggest you sit a Foundation year or an Access course.
Reply 6
Computer Science

They're definitely not going to lower requirements if you've only just left education. You haven't had chance to build up any work experience of value yet. The only other reason they might lower requirements is if educational changes had made meeting their requirements impossible - say if you had taken A Levels before an A* grade was possible but they asked for an A*.

However, most unis don't increase requirements for resit applicants. You'll need to find out if they actually do, rather than just assuming.
Computer Science

I'm not aware of entry requirements increasing for retakes. Does the uni in question explicitly say this?
Reply 8
Original post by skeptical_john
I'm not aware of entry requirements increasing for retakes. Does the uni in question explicitly say this?

No, it is an assumption. But my decision is whether to retake only 1 module for an A, or 3 modules to make an A* possible. Is there a chance that they would make me an A* offer if I do resit 3 modules, and only a A offer if I resit only 1? (making it impossible to get an A*)
Reply 9
No, it is an assumption. But my decision is whether to retake only 1 module for an A, or 3 modules to make an A* possible. Is there a chance that they would make me an A* offer if I do resit 3 modules, and only a A offer if I resit only 1? (making it impossible to get an A*)

You would be best contacting the university to find out. It would be better than making assumptions and/or potentially missing out due to not retaking the correct amount of modules. They will inform you about how the entry requirements might change due to you retaking modules and perhaps offer advice on what your best move would be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending