The Student Room Group

Help me get into medicine

At the time of taking my GCSE's I wasn't attending school as I struggled due to having aspergers. Needless to say, I didn't do very well and the highest mark I got was a C, the rest were below. I've since learned to cope better and I plan on retaking my GCSE's.

The problem is that I've always had a passion for medicine and I want to be a doctor, but what are my chances realistically of getting into medical school? Do they accept GCSE retakes? And would my aspergers greatly affect me? Has anyone been in a similar situation to mine? Or can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by NatalieBx
At the time of taking my GCSE's I wasn't attending school as I struggled due to having aspergers. Needless to say, I didn't do very well and the highest mark I got was a C, the rest were below. I've since learned to cope better and I plan on retaking my GCSE's.

The problem is that I've always had a passion for medicine and I want to be a doctor, but what are my chances realistically of getting into medical school? Do they accept GCSE retakes? And would my aspergers greatly affect me? Has anyone been in a similar situation to mine? Or can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance.

Some med schools may except retakes (I think Exeter does but I might be wrong). However not to be harsh but you would need very good GCSE's and also you would need to perform well at interview as patient interaction is hugely important. Your best bet might be postgrad medicine after biomed or something similar.
Original post by NatalieBx

Thanks in advance.

I think the main ones who accept re-sits are Exeter, Plymouth and UEA med schools. Since it's really competitive you would have a better chance for graduate entry medicine.
Reply 3
Original post by HelloM8
Some med schools may except retakes (I think Exeter does but I might be wrong). However not to be harsh but you would need very good GCSE's and also you would need to perform well at interview as patient interaction is hugely important. Your best bet might be postgrad medicine after biomed or something similar.

Ok thanks for being honest.
You should email some admission departments for Medicine, to ask whether they would consider you as being in extenuating circumstances during your GCSEs.
The critical thing the unis are after for Medicine are the AAA grades in the A Levels - in fact, many are starting to introduce A*AA, it seems. You haven't said what stage you are at in your education, but if you are doing well in your A Levels and are forecast As and A*s, this shows that you could have the potential to study Medicine.
If you have the personal qualities which applicants need to study Medicine (e.g. emotional resilience, empathy etc.), the Asperger's shouldn't be a barrier.
My advice is if you are passionate about studying medicine, and have a strong chance of achieving high grades at A Level, and havet he personal qualities required to become a Doctor, give medicine your best shot. :smile:
I know its been a couple of months since this went up, but anyway. I'm 9 years after my school leavers medicine application so my knowledge is probably out of date, but here is the current GCSE requirements according to TSR:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending