The Student Room Group

Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

Hey Guys,

I have law offers from Warwick and QMUL currently and I'm waiting on Bristol which is another top choice of mine. I wanted your advice on which is the best option to firm and insure from these. Bristol does have the best law department from these but overall rep wise Warwick wins I think. I'm an international student and would like to work in a reputable firm in the UK particularly city ones. Which would be the best options for my career path and why?
Where's York? It's 10th in the guardian university guide for law, and 12th in the independent table. It went from 40~ to 10 in 4 years I mean come on; edit the page :wink:! PBL represent!
A new more updated listing of the universities in a similar way, would really be appreciated, especially since I am also studying law this September
Hi
I am an international student. Have gotten unconditional offers from Leicester and Reading. Waiting on Kent and Lancaster.
My A level grades were pretty low actually (BBB with exceptional circumstances) so I couldn't apply to most of the top tier colleges.
Are these 4 colleges respected by employers? As an international student, can I get employment after finishing my degree at one of these colleges? I know only some firms can offer TCs to international students. What do I have to do in college to be in the running for a TC? Or is it nearly impossible? And also, do companies care a lot about the A level grades? In other countries, if you do well in college, it doesn't matter how well you did in high school.
And on what order would you say employers rank these colleges? Would be mighty helpful if you reply. Thank you.
Original post by Grigorios
A new more updated listing of the universities in a similar way, would really be appreciated, especially since I am also studying law this September

These top 3 groups will remain unchanged regardless of newspaper rankings (even if you went there those in the top 3 are the uks best internationally).

The reason they remain unchanged is because employers (particularly law and IBD) don't care that a certain university was 3rd in guardian 2016 they care about the universities perceived prestige.
Reply 1545
Hello everyone,

I am having a struggle on deciding between these two offers I got, which one should I put as my firm and which as my insurance?

1. LLB International Law and Globalisation at University of Birmingham

2. LLB Law with Politics at University of Manchester

Should I go with the offer that gave me lower conditions or it doesn't have to be that way ?
Bristol or UCL? Struggling to decide.
Original post by stratagems
Bristol or UCL? Struggling to decide.

Go where you think will be the best fit academically and socially... both are strong unis... both will get you where you want to go, depending on your grades of course.

Would you prefer London or Bristol?

Have you researched the various modules on offer at each respective uni?

Good luck on your choice, either one will put you in good stead
Reply 1548
Original post by vnupe
Go where you think will be the best fit academically and socially... both are strong unis... both will get you where you want to go, depending on your grades of course.

Check also your financial affordability for the coming three years. London, in general, is more expensive than Bristol.
Original post by vnupe

Thanks - I'm a London and I liked both places equally. Like the course at Bristol more, but there are more units so I don't fancy doing extra credits/exams! Idk how it works though. Accommodation is terrible. Could find something better in London, even if I continue renting privately.

Original post by RWONG
Check also your financial affordability for the coming three years. London, in general, is more expensive than Bristol.

Yeah, am a Londoner, but oddly, I'll actually be financially better off in London, I think. I'll be able to save if I continue to live here as I have a decent part-time job that pays £11/hour and is zero stress. I won't have that in Bristol. Also, UCL has these scholarships (only a few though) that offer £9,000 a year so if I could get one of those, it would be fab as Bristol really doesn't offer much financial help at all.

If I firm Bristol, I won't have an insurance, eek. :|

Both are pretty much on an even keel for me...
Original post by stratagems
Thanks - I'm a London and I liked both places equally. Like the course at Bristol more, but there are more units so I don't fancy doing extra credits/exams! Idk how it works though. Accommodation is terrible. Could find something better in London, even if I continue renting privately.

Yeah, am a Londoner, but oddly, I'll actually be financially better off in London, I think. I'll be able to save if I continue to live here as I have a decent part-time job that pays £11/hour and is zero stress. I won't have that in Bristol. Also, UCL has these scholarships (only a few though) that offer £9,000 a year so if I could get one of those, it would be fab as Bristol really doesn't offer much financial help at all.

If I firm Bristol, I won't have an insurance, eek. :|

Both are pretty much on an even keel for me...

If all things are equal, then in your position I would pick London for financial reasons. You would get to keep your well paying job and save money on accommodation.

You could save that money for other things like the next stage of your legal training or bank that money.

This comes from a Bristol Grad, who enjoyed his time and education at Bristol.
Original post by vnupe
If all things are equal, then in your position I would pick London for financial reasons. You would get to keep your well paying job and save money on accommodation.

You could save that money for other things like the next stage of your legal training or bank that money.

This comes from a Bristol Grad, who enjoyed his time and education at Bristol.

Thanks - I thought that too, but I ended up firming Bristol and not having an insurance! UCL wanted A*AA and having messed up my first two politics unit, I thought it unlikely haha.

I also figured that I would rather get my first choice accomodation at Bristol - if I missed it at UCL, it would be so bad as I can live privately with friends (which would be cheaper and MUCH nicer than halls). Hopefully I've not messed up so much for Bristol.
My choices are UCL, Durham and Bristol at the moment.
What additional Uni would you choose that offer AAA requirements min. and what additioanl Uni you would choose which has AAB requirements min. for Law.

Thanks in advance!
Wrong thread
Original post by SamLuxa
My choices are UCL, Durham and Bristol at the moment.
What additional Uni would you choose that offer AAA requirements min. and what additioanl Uni you would choose which has AAB requirements min. for Law.

Thanks in advance!

Manchester is a good one, as it has a stellar Law reputation but is easier to get into than your current 3. I struggled with AAB universities, as in my opinion, the quality of course drops quite significantly from AAA to AAB.
I am so confused as I am studying in Bath and want to do the GDL and LPC but yet Bath is not in RG, although in top 10 nationally... What are my chances of securing a training contract?
Manchester or Queen Mary for law?
Unsure which should be my firm choice.
I need some input regarding the following criteria:
1) facilities
2) graduate prospects
3) opportunities (e.g internships, competitions, Modal UN)
4) student satisfaction and environment
5) quality of lectures
Original post by Elissa7398
Manchester or Queen Mary for law?
Unsure which should be my firm choice.
I need some input regarding the following criteria:
1) facilities
2) graduate prospects
3) opportunities (e.g internships, competitions, Modal UN)
4) student satisfaction and environment
5) quality of lectures

I've just realized that I should have posted my question here, and not in a separate thread. I got offers from
Manchester and qmul as well, also would appreciate some comparison between the two

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending