The Student Room Group

Air Cadets... is it too late?

Hi

My name is Luke and I'm currently 16 years old and my birthday is just around the corner (5th of November). I have been a fan of aviation for a few years now ever since I went to my first airshow at the age of 12,

In the future (I know its all the rage around here) I hope to one day become a pilot in the RAF.

I would love to get involved with something like air cadets for awhile now, however I have delayed this as I am not a very confident person and I'm not really too great at sports :biggrin:.

I feel that I am ready to give air cadets a shot but I fear that it may be too late to join and I would just want to know what air cadets can really do for me and if people are welcomed who join at this age.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, oh and by the way I live in Derbyshire and I was wondering if there are any recommended squadrons nearby and if it is a good idea to join a larger squadron or a smaller more local one.

Scroll to see replies

Luke,

It's ever too late to join, but you should be realistic as to what you will be able to achieve. That said, you'll get a year or so of exposure to the RAF via the cadet organisation which would not be a bad thing, and it may open up opportunities to visit and RAF station or two.

It could also help your confidence, as you'll be going into a relatively diverse, uniformed organisation.

Both the above will help with any future application to OASC or, if you go to university, potentially joining a University Air Squadron.

Go down to your local Squadron and have a look-see.
Reply 2
Hey fella,

I joined at 16 almost 17, still managed to get three of the best years of my life out of the Air Cadets.

The advantage to your age will be your maturity, which will stand you in good stead for promotion - younger cadets will naturally look up to you due to the age gap.

The only difficulties I had were for the first few months, because I was closer in age to the Corporals and Sergeants than the cadets. Takes some humility when you're 17 to take command off of 14yr old Corporals. However, I made some lifelong friends and joining is hands down the best decision I ever made. Try it you won't regret it.

Not every squadron is the same, so if after a month or two you're not feeling it, try out a different squadron. Different squadrons will run in different ways and have a different mix of people.
I've been an air cadet since I was 13 and it's the best decision I ever made. You'll likely be the only one your age joining at the time, but I assure you it is so worth it. Don't be worried about being closer in age to the corporals, because I had flight sergeants younger than me while I was still a cadet. I got promoted to corporal in July after three and a half years and honestly, I'm glad it took that long rather than being rushed like everybody else. With your age, you'll probably already have maturity which the 12 and 13-year-olds there already will lack, so you'll easily get promoted faster, possibly within the year. I'm 17 at the end of next month and if you stay until 20, you've still got 3 years to make the most of. I've done so much in 3 and a half years already and I've already planned what I aim to achieve within the next two years before I go to uni.
Reply 4
Original post by jannisjr
Hey fella,

I joined at 16 almost 17, still managed to get three of the best years of my life out of the Air Cadets.

The advantage to your age will be your maturity, which will stand you in good stead for promotion - younger cadets will naturally look up to you due to the age gap.

The only difficulties I had were for the first few months, because I was closer in age to the Corporals and Sergeants than the cadets. Takes some humility when you're 17 to take command off of 14yr old Corporals. However, I made some lifelong friends and joining is hands down the best decision I ever made. Try it you won't regret it.

Not every squadron is the same, so if after a month or two you're not feeling it, try out a different squadron. Different squadrons will run in different ways and have a different mix of people.

Thanks for the input man, I think I will give it a shot after all.

Thanks again for the advice :biggrin:
can you join if you are 14
Reply 6
Original post by Damanjot kaur

Yes, that's the ideal age
Reply 7
Joining the RAF as a pilot is a very very difficult process. You would have to join as an officer and I am assuming you want to be a fast jet pilot. Only the top 10% become Fast jet pilots. I personally would recommend joining the army and applying for a Apache helicopter pilot any trade in the army can apply once they have reached the rank of LCPL. And if your 16 why not just joined the militery I joined at 19 but had a few guy in my platoon who were 16 or 17
Reply 8
Original post by Exgrunt
Joining the RAF as a pilot is a very very difficult process. You would have to join as an officer and I am assuming you want to be a fast jet pilot. Only the top 10% become Fast jet pilots. I personally would recommend joining the army and applying for a Apache helicopter pilot any trade in the army can apply once they have reached the rank of LCPL. And if your 16 why not just joined the militery I joined at 19 but had a few guy in my platoon who were 16 or 17

The selection for platform type doesn't work like that.
Reply 9

You can absolutely join at 14!
Original post by I Am 123
You can absolutely join at 14!

Thanks
Thanks

No problem! :h:
Original post by I Am 123
No problem! :h:

Hi I just wanted to ask how is air cadets going to help me become a commercial pilot??
Hi I just wanted to ask how is air cadets going to help me become a commercial pilot??

It's not.

Not directly, anyway.

It'll give you a grounding in aviation, it'll help you understand the principles of flight. It might, if you're very lucky and stay a while, help you work towards the beginnings of a PPL.

But actually helping you become a commercial pilot? Not a lot.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
It's not.

Not directly, anyway.

It'll give you a grounding in aviation, it'll help you understand the principles of flight. You might, if you're very lucky and stay a while, help you work towards the beginnings of a PPL.

But actually helping you become a commercial pilot? Not a lot.

Ok ty but what is a PPL?
Ok ty but what is a PPL?

Private pilot's license.
hey i joined when i was at the end of year 9 so prolly 14 and it was quite decent. keeping in mind im extremely shy as well i didnt really talk to many people and only went because a few of my friends went. after a couple of times up people started really warming up to me and now we practically talk everyday and its just a chance to make new friends as well i guess
Original post by Drewski
Private pilot's license.

Oh ok ty but do you know how can I get it and what age can I get it??
Oh ok ty but do you know how can I get it and what age can I get it??

If you want to become an airline pilot, then that's something else entirely. It takes a lot of time and a lot of money. There are a number of different routes, but you'll need to look up the one that works for you, where you are, where you come from and what qualifications you have.
Hi mate I’ve been an air cadet for 3 years now and I’m around the same age as you.

In our squadron, many people joined at the age of 16-17 and some of them have been promoted to a corporal now, after 2 years.

You should definitely join; it seems as though you are very passionate, and those are the kind of people who go far in the ATC. If you don’t, it’ll just bug you later on. Just go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest