The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by awfulsplleling
Heya, does anyone have any experience with the Simmons & Simmons Online Judgement Test? I've heard that it's awful, is this true?

Yes, I did it. I passed, but it was fairly awful.
Original post by bj_945
Yes, I did it. I passed, but it was fairly awful.

Is there any way to pass online judgemental tests? I remember failing one, but it was awful, because there is clearly no "right" and no "wrong" answer, it all comes down to personal preference and how a person would act in a determined situation. Is it thus impossible to prepare for one in advance? It feels such a random way to recruit :frown:
Original post by Anthony I
Is there any way to pass online judgemental tests? I remember failing one, but it was awful, because there is clearly no "right" and no "wrong" answer, it all comes down to personal preference and how a person would act in a determined situation. Is it thus impossible to prepare for one in advance? It feels such a random way to recruit :frown:

I think there is a logic to them, and often if you really think hard about the different multiple choice answers, you can see how some of them might cause various problems/not fit with your role etc. etc.But I do agree that they are sometimes vague/unclear, with an element of luck involved. I don't really like them either.

There is a right and wrong answer. If your personal preference doesn't fit the firm's answer, then you don't fit the firm.

Preparing for such tests requires understanding how the corporate world works.
Original post by giggy12s
Anyone heard back from Allen & Overy winter scheme?

I applied and I have not heard back
Has anyone heard back from White & Case?
Any advice on how I can make my cover letter more interesting and engaging?
Anyone heard back from Allen & Overy winter scheme?
I applied last week, but have nothing yet. What about you?
Original post by greenmelon
Ah really? I assumed the rolling basis meant that most firms would have chosen the majority of applicants already! So firms with deadlines on the 31st of October are still within reach?

My impression is this really varies from firm to firm. So e.g. at Stephenson Harwood I applied on roughly the 10th, got the test through within two days, and was interviewed last week. Just got a rejection today :frown: useful experience though. But it goes to show - they are recruiting inside the application period.

Conversely, I put the Herbert Smith Freehills application in at around the same time got the test through at a similar time, but have heard nothing since. This could mean they are treating me as a marginal case, but I suspect it has more to do with the fact that all their assessment days are in November.
It's difficult to get this information for all the firms though...
Original post by bj_945
I applied last week, but have nothing yet. What about you?

I applied 2 weeks ago and have not heard since.
Original post by greenmelon
Hey guys, I'm a graduate who is going to start applying to vac schemes. Do you think its too late to apply to winter schemes (seeing as most are on a rolling basis with deadlines towards the end of month)? Would my efforts be better spent on spring/summer applications?

I am a graduate too! Talked to Ashurst in their presentation event and they said that they have never seen their vac scheme places fill until the deadline closes + so that to apply when it is more convenient for you. Other firms, not sure. Seems like JD winter is pretty much filled by now though.

OK, perhaps they are waiting until November to go through them all. Do you know if an online test forms part of the Allen & Overy application process?
Original post by bj_945
OK, perhaps they are waiting until November to go through them all. Do you know if an online test forms part of the Allen & Overy application process?

Also applied, but not heard, they usually try within 14 days to get back to people. They don't wait until November to get back to applicants so I'm sure you'll hear soon enough. I think they're just busy running around the country at Law Fairs.

Regarding your question, there is no online test, you'll either get an interview with them or a rejection. Hope that helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shaminn
Also applied, but not heard, they usually try within 14 days to get back to people. They don't wait until November to get back to applicants so I'm sure you'll hear soon enough. I think they're just busy running around the country at Law Fairs.

Regarding your question, there is no online test, you'll either get an interview with them or a rejection. Hope that helps.

Yes that does, thanks for the info.
Hey everyone, would appreciate if you could share your opinion with regards to this matter.
I've been receiving a lot of diverging answers on the topic (from law firms when I ring them up).

I achieved 33 IB points that equals a 457 UCAS tariff.
This is strangely converted into "ABB" at A-Level.

Am I completely cut out from "elite" firms because of my 33IB? This is pretty odd, since I would even meet the "AAA" UCAS Tariff, but firms that recruit for "AAA" and "AAB" told me they want IB candidates with much higher scores than mine (36 or 38+).

I really can't seem to find an answer to this issue, and law firms have been providing me with diverging answers. Given this, should I not even apply to "elite" or "outstanding" commercial law firms?
Hey everyone, would appreciate if you could share your opinion with regards to this matter.
I've been receiving a lot of diverging answers on the topic (from law firms when I ring them up).

I achieved 33 IB points that equals a 457 UCAS tariff.
This is strangely converted into "ABB" at A-Level.

Am I completely cut out from "elite" firms because of my 33IB? This is pretty odd, since I would even meet the "AAA" UCAS Tariff, but firms that recruit for "AAA" and "AAB" told me they want IB candidates with much higher scores than mine (36 or 38+).

I really can't seem to find an answer to this issue, and law firms have been providing me with diverging answers. Given this, should I not even apply to "elite" or "outstanding" commercial law firms?

It really does depend on the individual firm - the UCAS points equivalency is way off between the IB and A-Levels (3 As = 360 to give you an idea), so it depends on what the firm perceives as an equivalent. Unfortunately, for the majority of those wanting AAB/AAA, it'll most likely be 36+,
Original post by _Fergo
It really does depend on the individual firm - the UCAS points equivalency is way off between the IB and A-Levels (3 As = 360 to give you an idea), so it depends on what the firm perceives as an equivalent. Unfortunately, for the majority of those wanting AAB/AAA, it'll most likely be 36+,

Thank you for your prompt response!
This has been quite a stressful thing for me. I am having considerable difficulty with my applications to top law firms, as I feel that I get rejected for this reason.

I am trying very hard to get across my good 2:1 at university, legal work placements, and transferable skills and the fact that I am pursuing an LLM (even though this is not really a plus for law firms). I feel that I am cut out just because of my not so outstanding performance at high school. I guess it is just that competitive of a market
Just signed up for a addleshaw Goddard "how to get a training contract" event at my uni so will attend that and then put in an app. In other news, still radio silence wih regards to Hogan Lovells and Burges Salmon said I will find out by 4th November if I'm being invited to an AC.
Original post by J-SP

Most firms take the same approach as universities. Most universities do not use UCAS points criteria for entry - they use a grade requirement for IB and a grade requirement for A-levels. Typically universities that advertise AAB are usually asking for 34-36 IB points.

Thank you for your response J-SP.

I have the Law Firm coming up tomorrow and there are a lot of firms I am interested in but they advertise "AAB" requirements, some even "AAA"! Should I talk to them regardless, or would that just be a waste of my time in your opinion? Should I only focus in talking with firms that have "ABB" or lower requirement at the law fair?

Also, I have the possibility of attending a couple of open days with law firms that really interest me, but they advertise "AAA" and "AAB" requirements. Should I consider attending, or would this be again, a waste of my time?

I would appreciate anyone's honest reply on this, I am still torn between being extremely selective with apps, or trying still for the law firms that interest me the most, but honestly feel out of reach :/
Reply 399
Anybody done the BLP vacation scheme AC? Any tips on the drafting exercise?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending