The Student Room Group

Viva's Coeliac Blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juno
You can't have some of the toppings though, like the sausage isn't gluten free.

Oh no, not the sausage :frown:
Ugh, getting so sick of not being able to grab sandwiches at lunch. I'm too lazy to adjust goddammit.
Reply 62
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Ugh, getting so sick of not being able to grab sandwiches at lunch. I'm too lazy to adjust goddammit.

Waitrose, m&s, starbucks, costa all do ready made gf sandwiches
My diet is mainly steak, meat, chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, green vegetables, berries, protein shakes and the occasional fruit. This stuff is probably gluten free (although I don't really know what this is), and should work well for you.
Reply 64
cf christmas cake.jpg

I bought this today and thought of you
Not Coeliac related but might revive this blog for a couple of days.

Been in hospital for 5 days now and I'm pretty ****ing bored and fed up - I feel like I'm more saline solution and drugs than human at this stage.

I'm currently on holiday in NZ visiting my parents and I was supposed to go home Saturday but had to miss my flight and haven't yet booked another one since I'm still here. Iain had to go back without me.

I'd not been able to eat food or drink anything without a lot of pain and a constricting feeling, and felt full all the time. I'd also developed a nasty rash and had a fever so was admitted on Wednesday evening with a heart rate of 153 to the Emergency Department. I then had about 50 incredibly adhesive dots stuck on my chest and boobs and was hooked up the ECG machine so they could monitor how tachy I was. Then it was time for the IV line and bloods which is always a stressful time (in the whole 5 days only 3 people in this whole place have gotten a vein and two of them had ultrasound machines to help). Once that one was in I was told I had been upgraded to a CT scan and that my IV line wasn't big enough since they wanted to use a contrast dye during the scan, so now I have one IV line in the crook of each elbow. Sigh. Fortunately one of these was a conduit for morphine pretty quickly.

Before my CT scan I was warned that the contrast dye would make me feel like I had, or was going to, piss myself which really added to the excitement of the day - as it turns out it wasn't that bad, it was a very warm and kind of pleasant sensation flowing through me. I was then moved to the Surgical Assessment and Review Area for the evening where I met several doctors/consultants/nurses who had no idea what was wrong with me. It was during a meeting with a young, seemingly 12 year old, doctor when I developed a nasty fever. I had been shivering and feeling pretty chilly and the nice doctor went and brought me some heated blankets which were heavenly. It wasn't until my lips and hands turned blue that the young man rushed out to the nurses for help. Turned out I have a temperature of 39 and my HR was through the roof again and stripping me of my sheets and shoving a cold flannel on my head was not ideal considering how cold I felt I was.

Don't really recall much more of Wednesday other than plenty of morphine and being woken up for obvs every hour or two.

Might update with day 2 a bit later, this turned out a bit long and I've tired myself out.

Been in hospital for 5 days now and I'm pretty ****ing bored and fed up - I feel like I'm more saline solution and drugs than human at this stage.

I'm currently on holiday in NZ visiting my parents and I was supposed to go home Saturday but had to miss my flight and haven't yet booked another one since I'm still here. Iain had to go back without me.

I'd not been able to eat food or drink anything without a lot of pain and a constricting feeling, and felt full all the time. I'd also developed a nasty rash and had a fever so was admitted on Wednesday evening with a heart rate of 153 to the Emergency Department. I then had about 50 incredibly adhesive dots stuck on my chest and boobs and was hooked up the ECG machine so they could monitor how tachy I was. Then it was time for the IV line and bloods which is always a stressful time (in the whole 5 days only 3 people in this whole place have gotten a vein and two of them had ultrasound machines to help). Once that one was in I was told I had been upgraded to a CT scan and that my IV line wasn't big enough since they wanted to use a contrast dye during the scan, so now I have one IV line in the crook of each elbow. Sigh. Fortunately one of these was a conduit for morphine pretty quickly.

Before my CT scan I was warned that the contrast dye would make me feel like I had, or was going to, piss myself which really added to the excitement of the day - as it turns out it wasn't that bad, it was a very warm and kind of pleasant sensation flowing through me. I was then moved to the Surgical Assessment and Review Area for the evening where I met several doctors/consultants/nurses who had no idea what was wrong with me. It was during a meeting with a young, seemingly 12 year old, doctor when I developed a nasty fever. I had been shivering and feeling pretty chilly and the nice doctor went and brought me some heated blankets which were heavenly. It wasn't until my lips and hands turned blue that the young man rushed out to the nurses for help. Turned out I have a temperature of 39 and my HR was through the roof again and stripping me of my sheets and shoving a cold flannel on my head was not ideal considering how cold I felt I was.

Don't really recall much more of Wednesday other than plenty of morphine and being woken up for obvs every hour or two.

Might update with day 2 a bit later, this turned out a bit long and I've tired myself out.

I hope you get better soon :frown:
Reply 67

In case you missed it, Liverpool drew with Argyle yesterday
Reply 68
Wrong thread, disregard my last
Original post by Revie
In case you missed it, Liverpool drew with Argyle yesterday

Original post by Revie
Wrong thread, disregard my last

That did still cheer me up, nonetheless.
Day 2 and I still haven't had any food or drink, apart from ice chips (which is torture when you're dehydrated and running a temperature) and I'm having a gastroscopy. Fortunately this is old hat since my Coeliac investigation gastroscopy. I'm nice and heavily sedated and wake up about an hour later in recovery - there is evidence that my stomach is inflamed but not really much else.

I also need more bloods taken because I had a massive fever they need to run cultures, there is lots of crying and abusing nurses until someone finally goes away and finds a nice young man with an ultrasound machine who very quickly finds a vein and gets what he needs.

So now I'm really looking forward to having some lunch since I've not eaten properly since Monday evening and it's now Thursday and I get told that they actually want a colonoscopy as well - great, tube at both ends. This also means that I can't have any lunch and I'm on a clear liquids only diet as well as having to take some "prep".

Prep for a colonoscopy is just has horrifying as you well might imagine. I have to take three tablets and have a soluble powder in the evening and I'm warned it's going to flush out my bowels. Let me tell you that warning does not even come close to adequate. After having the worst couple of days ever, I'm now *****ing myself every ten minutes and unable to sleep since I'm now *****ing myself every ten minutes. I also get a rash and my hands swell up to the size of footballs in the night from the anti-nausea drugs, whilst I'm *****ing myself every ten minutes.

Nurses don't really know what to do about the rash so they just bash me with about 3litres of steroids and I go back to the pooping and sobbing.
Just about to cook them for my lunchtime and further down the brand it says not appropriate for individuals who have rice intolerance or coeliacs due to production procedures.

Quick Reply

Latest