The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Is LSE not worth it?

so all of the negativity towards lse on this forum i took lightly until i got talking to my friend who just finished economic history there. He said exactly the same things that were being said here, terrible teachers and the whole international student 'clique' thing , the arrogance of people there, and no actual guidance on the course just rushing through content.

even though it is a world class university, does that really matter when you could go to a really good university such as UCL and have a great time like my sister is doing

Scroll to see replies

LSE is better than UCL though
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I didnt realise there was negative comments about lse?
LSE is what you make of it. I'm a first year student there and I can tell you that if you are seriously committed to academia, you will thrive here. It's a community of some of the most rigorous minds in the world (for social sciences and humanities) and you'll be lucky to be taught by professors and teachers who are world leaders in their subjects (You might even end up being taught by the same person who wrote your textbook!)

Yes the workload is pretty tough, but what do you expect? This is a top flight world Uni.

I never get all these negative comments about the LSE, complaining about the workload is like buying a Lamborghini and complaining that it's too fast
Reply 4
It depends hugely on the person. Some people can't handle the workload and it can be a bit cliquey at times. Some people don't do well in London. Some people are better off at other universities.
I've only been here a few weeks, but personally I LOVE being in London, it's such a beautiful city, and I will admit that it does seem very cliquey in certain aspects, it's easy enough to make friends with people (though you could feel lonely for a while as you get to know people.) Also, the workload is big, it is tough and I struggle with it, but what else can you expect from the LSE, it's a top university!
Reply 5
Original post by JohnGreek
An excellent point - people tend to forget the day-to-day annoyances of the capital (not least the sheer amount of time taken moving around and the cost of everything).

Glad to hear that you're liking it here - I remembered your thread that was very apprehensive from a while back :smile:

Ahah yeah, I think all the threads of people complaining scares people, but you have to realise negativity is louder than positivity and people are more likely to shout about their bad experiences than the good ones!
Original post by Redmonds
LSE is what you make of it. I'm a first year student there and I can tell you that if you are seriously committed to academia, you will thrive here. It's a community of some of the most rigorous minds in the world (for social sciences and humanities) and you'll be lucky to be taught by professors and teachers who are world leaders in their subjects (You might even end up being taught by the same person who wrote your textbook!)

Yes the workload is pretty tough, but what do you expect? This is a top flight world Uni.

I never get all these negative comments about the LSE, complaining about the workload is like buying a Lamborghini and complaining that it's too fast

THIS
Reply 7
As another poster said, it is what you make of it. I have just graduated, and for me the answer is no. London can feel isolating when you live alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
From what I gather, LSE is isolating, badly taught, overrun with international students, boring, and depressing.

But you should still go, 'because it's LSE'.

:colonhash:
Reply 9
Original post by Abstract_Prism
From what I gather, LSE is isolating, badly taught, overrun with international students, boring, and depressing.

But you should still go, 'because it's LSE'.

:colonhash:

For me, it was London and not LSE that was isolating. With regards to badly taught, it is almost asking whether you are a good teacher as you will be teaching yourself the entire course come exam time.The boring and depressing may be avoided by integrating yourself into societies or play a sport. Unfortunately. I did not join a single society mor sport.
I think that you'd have a bit more credibility if you had actually studied here in the first place. "What I gather..." is nothing more than saying "from the five threads I've seen about LSE on this forum..."

I wasn't asserting that I had studied there or that what I said was fact. I meant exactly what I said: 'what I gather' does mean what I've seen from threads on TSR. And it seems people who study at LSE complain about it way more than students at other unis.
If you'd actually read any of the posts in detail, you'd see that half of them were influenced by people refusing to admit that they themselves were at fault (like blaming everyone for being anti-social when they themselves didn't bother joining any societies lol), or transposing their own pre-existing issues onto the uni (like that guy who really didn't want to go to uni but was forced to by his parents and now, surprise surprise, hates it, feels homesick, and wants to drop out).

I'd also question how you can say that proportionately more people complain about LSE when a) the sample size on TSR is so small, b) there's obviously a selection bias in favour of those who have to say something negative, c) the posts that are negative are spread over several years (all the way back to 2010), and d) the overwhelming majority of people here have never heard of TSR, don't care about what's on it and certainly have no incentive to start posting in defence of their uni (I'm an exception because I had an account for a year and a half before starting).

Then, of course, you seem to have no issue stating these "issues" as fact, using bold, un-nuanced language like "boring" and "many international students", without substantiating any of your claims with anything other than with the classic "I saw it on TSR" justification. You're part of a TSR bandwagon and you don't even realise it.

I've already said that what I said is what I've read on TSR, nothing more. I quite readily admit that I have not studied there, and that it may not be true. I am 100% aware that I am on the 'TSR bandwagon'.

All of your criteria from a-d can be applied to all unis. It doesn't make sense why so many more people complain about studying at LSE than anywhere else. There's no smoke without fire.
Original post by Redmonds

As a 3rd year I agree with everything but the bit in bold. A lot of the time the reason your lecturer wrote the textbook isn't because they're incredibly smart (although the lecturers obviously are), but because they are smart enough to know the have a monopoly on the textbook market for their course if they wish to make it so. Nice little side earner for them...
That's a nice but naive way of going about things. Actually, not all of a) to d) apply to all universities. The reason why you think that LSE has proportionately larger number of complaints is because these tend to be the most hotly debated posts that are usually posted on by people like you, with the classic "omg I heard people complain about it this must be true". Other unis, with larger uni populations, and more active TSR users, have enough other threads to hide/mask the ones with negative comments. LSE's subforum, on the other hand, is dominated by two types of post: the "can I get in?", and "don't come here" sorts. It's a pretty dead forum all things considered, and that only gives more precedence to the negative reviews.

The whole "smoke without fire" argument is idiotic, considering that you don't even know what issues there are in the first place. Most people here, believe it or not, don't go around every day thinking "urgh so many Asians why am I here". The real issues that will affect most students are minor, everyday ones, such as the inconsistency of the lecture recordings or the fact that so little of the material covered will be discussed in classes. Of course, none of these are mentioned on here, partly because of people like you who lazily make sweeping judgments about a place they have never experienced.

Indeed, I would argue that the "smoke without fire idea" is downright dangerous, considering the fact that, as said above, many people blame the university for their own personal failings, instead of addressing them. To continue with the analogy, some people need to simply realise that they're looking at the wrong fire.

How do you explain how LSE is literally the worst in the UK for student satisfaction?
Thanks for completely failing to acknowledge any of the points I made. I expected as much.

Last time I checked, student satisfaction did not measure the student experience. Most of the posts complaining about LSE have to do with it being "boring" etc, and rarely go into depth about any aspect of the teaching or feedback (which they should). These are not reflected anywhere in the NSS survey, and as such have no relation to it.

Try again.

Which? Uni
There is an annual independent national survey (called the National Student Survey or NSS for short) which takes place each year and asks final year undergraduate students to say how satisfied they were in a range of academic areas, from teaching to personal development opportunities.

Source: http://university.which.co.uk/advice/choosing-a-course/what-do-student-satisfaction-scores-really-tell-you

The NSS covers both teaching and non-academic stuff, including how 'boring' it is and the general atmosphere. You can't just dismiss that. LSE students hate their student experience more than any other students in the UK.

And since you insist I address those other points... You've said that because of LSE's size negative threads get more attention and rise to the top, but that would imply that other university sub-forums would have just as many, if not more, negative threads as LSE, and they only don't get attention because of how many other kinds of threads there are. But that's not the case. If you go into any other sub-forum and count how many negative threads there are and compare it with LSE, you'll see that despite LSE's size, there are more negative threads about LSE than any other university (save from London Met).
Original post by samantham999
Look, you're going to spend the next 3 years studying so it is 100% important to go to an institution that is prestige and high for your course. If this isn't your priority, which it should be then just simply go to a university with more of a social life.

You need to choose between the 2nd best university after Oxbridge in the UK or a university which is ranked 50 so you can have a great time and get drunk every friday/saturday and the odd Thursday.

That's not true. It's not 'choose between LSE and Oxford Brookes'. It's more like 'choose between LSE and Durham', or some other highly ranked university that has great student satisfaction. You can have both prestige and a good time, you know.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
That's not true. It's not 'choose between LSE and Oxford Brookes'. It's more like 'choose between LSE and Durham', or some other highly ranked university that has great student satisfaction. You can have both prestige and a good time, you know.

Did you not read what I just said? In the end OP will have to choose between having a good time or going to a prestigious institution, I don't care if they are both highly ranked, one is always going to be significantly better.
Did you not read what I just said? In the end OP will have to choose between having a good time or going to a prestigious institution, I don't care if they are both highly ranked, one is always going to be significantly better.

Not really. Is LSE significantly more prestigious than Durham, Bristol, UCL? Nope.

One university is not 'always going to be significantly better' than another. You can have both prestige and a good time.

I find it really funny that you say that because you are going to be living there for 3 years, it's important to go to somewhere prestigious. I would have said the opposite: you're going to be living there for 3 years, so don't go to somewhere where you know you'll be miserable just because of 'prestige'. :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
LOOOOOOOOOOOL you lost me at "is LSE significantly more prestigious than Durham"

Hahahahahhaha, WAKE UP BOY

It's not...

We're not talking about LSE vs Oxford Brookes here. Durham is an excellent university that is just a smidgen less prestigious than LSE.

And when you consider how many LSE students hate their student experience and how expensive London is, compared to how Durham is in a scenic location with great student satisfaction, Durham suddenly becomes a lot more appealing.
Going to be honest, before attending LSE I thought it was going to be boring and filled with just work. I was wrong. Just ignore most of what you see on TSR - most complaints are from people who aren't even studying here and anyways, it's the complainers who are often the loudest.

LSE is really really really what you make of it. Join societies, clubs, attend events, etc. and you'll realise that the world truly is your oyster. I'm only a first year just last week, I competed in sports outside London, attending huge networking events, went for a fancy ball, had fun dinners with my societies, listened to a talk from a world leader, attended a classical concert on campus and even did a practice moot! Even this week I have tons of events coming up (cough like a costume party for halloween by the sports union).

LSE is fun, period. So long as you make it fun and put in the effort.

edit: on things like you mentioned, like *****y teachers and cliquey internationals, I think you'll find them everywhere (though to be fair, the locals are often cliquey as well).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending