The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2017 applicants & offer holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CallumGill
Ohhh nice congratualtions :smile: How many days after you had sent your application off did they respond?

Thanks! :smile: Well I think I sent my application somewhat around the 6th of october I think and got the offer on track the 18th (however got a letter by post for my offer dated the 13th so they might have made a decision but haven't updated track just yet)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by IcedArizona
Thanks! :smile: Well I think I sent my application somewhat around the 6th of october I think and got the offer on track the 18th (however got a letter by post for my offer dated the 13th so they might have made a decision but haven't updated track just yet)

Ohhhh right, thats interesting. Thank you very much for that useful infomation! :smile:
Reply 42
I got an offer for MSci Human Biology, unconditional if it's my firm or AAA
Reply 43
Original post by haes
Did anyone get invited to a (Chemistry) applicant day?

I have! I was under the impression they wouldn't give you an offer until after attending an applicant day though?
Original post by KateW98
I got an offer for MSci Human Biology, unconditional if it's my firm or AAA

That's so good well done! What were your predicted grades? I'm waiting for a reply about biological sciences there.
Original post by sxm
Hey everyone,
I've applied for Law at Birmingham haven't had an offer yet, but sent my application on the 15th October
Also was wondering whether anyones applying through the A2B scheme

i've applied for law through A2B
Reply 46
Original post by Melanie.elise
That's so good well done! What were your predicted grades? I'm waiting for a reply about biological sciences there.

I got 11A* 3A at GCSE, AAAA as AS level and predicted A*A*A*A (Biology, Chemistry, EPQ, Maths).
Ooh good luck!!
Reply 47
Original post by mfleur
I have! I was under the impression they wouldn't give you an offer until after attending an applicant day though?

You're probably right. Which day did you choose?
Reply 48
Original post by haes
You're probably right. Which day did you choose?

The 9th- kind of wanted to get it out of the way and know where I am in terms of offers. I'm unsure about the 'informal' interview though- they've said it doesn't determine whether or not an offer is made, but they will give us problems and ask us about our application? Don't really get why we're being interviewed if it doesn't determine an offer...
Lol guys, I'm really confused. I think I have been rejected by Birmingham but I'm not sure :/ On Track it says my application to Birmingham was unsuccessful, but then I got an email from Birmingham literally 2 hours after the change was made on Track, asking for my predicted grades from my nominated referee. Anyone else have a similar problem? I applied for Dentistry & met all the requirements.
Reply 50
Original post by mfleur
The 9th- kind of wanted to get it out of the way and know where I am in terms of offers. I'm unsure about the 'informal' interview though- they've said it doesn't determine whether or not an offer is made, but they will give us problems and ask us about our application? Don't really get why we're being interviewed if it doesn't determine an offer...

I chose the 16th because it's closer to my other chemistry interview, and I'd rather have them all at a similar time so I can worry about them all together haha. Please do tell me how it goes and what kind of questions they ask. It doesn't specify how long the interview is, does it? I don't really understand the point of it either.. I didn't even know they did chemistry interviews
Reply 51
Original post by haes
I chose the 16th because it's closer to my other chemistry interview, and I'd rather have them all at a similar time so I can worry about them all together haha. Please do tell me how it goes and what kind of questions they ask. It doesn't specify how long the interview is, does it? I don't really understand the point of it either.. I didn't even know they did chemistry interviews

Probably makes sense! It's all a bit of a pain really if I have to get the train its going to cost me £100+ & yes ofc, maybe message me on the 9th/10th though as I'm likely to forget.

I'm sure youve seen this but this is what I had in my email-
A short informal one-to-one meeting with a member of academic staff will also form part of the day. This will not only give us the opportunity to talk to you about your enthusiasm for Chemistry and your motivations for applying to Birmingham, but also give you time to discuss your application with a member of staff on an individual basis. You may be asked some open-ended questions about Chemistry, which will allow you to show your problem-solving skills and general understanding of the subject. Please rest assured, we recognise that different schools and different examination boards teach Chemistry in slightly different ways; thus we will be less interested in what you know, more how you think and analyse a scientific problem. This meeting does not influence whether an offer is made.

So no specified time, it sounds like a proper interview but then it says it doesn't influence offers? just very confused
I'm applying for both History, and Archaeology & Ancient History and History (Joint Honours) - and I'm planning to send the application off Friday.

Thinking to predicted grades, AAB - but I'm aiming for A*AB, with B+ in the EPQ.
Reply 53
Just got an offer to study Law (AAA) plus an unconditional offer IF I make Birmingham my firm. I'm predicted A*AA. Just wanted to ask if going on an applicant visit day is compulsory?
Original post by sxm
Just got an offer to study Law (AAA) plus an unconditional offer IF I make Birmingham my firm. I'm predicted A*AA. Just wanted to ask if going on an applicant visit day is compulsory?

I don't think so.
Reply 55
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I don't think so.

Thanks for the response. Its just that going there would be a hassle!
[QUOTE=haes;68224428]I chose the 16th because it's closer to my other chemistry interview, and I'd rather have them all at a similar time so I can worry about them all together haha. Please do tell me how it goes and what kind of questions they ask. It doesn't specify how long the interview is, does it? I don't really understand the point of it either.. I didn't even know they did chemistry interviews

I've chosen the 16th too just because it gives me a bit more time to prepare... though I'm not even sure it's something to prepare for? I feel a bit sceptical about an "informal" 1-on-1 interview...
Reply 57
Original post by mfleur

So no specified time, it sounds like a proper interview but then it says it doesn't influence offers? just very confused

Yeah, I got that too, followed by an email with the schedule attached. The informal interview is somewhere between 13.30-15.00 as well as a lab session and workshop, so I'm guessing each one of those things is around half an hour?

And yeah, very confused.. If it truly didn't influence the offer they should be giving them out by now o.o I see other applicants to UOB with offers already though they have been invited to applicant days...

Original post by Kenopsia
I've chosen the 16th too just because it gives me a bit more time to prepare... though I'm not even sure it's something to prepare for? I feel a bit sceptical about an "informal" 1-on-1 interview...

I guess I'll see you there! It's probably going to be weird talking about your enthusiasm for Chemistry with them when you intend to do Medicine...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by haes
I guess I'll see you there! It's probably going to be weird talking about your enthusiasm for Chemistry with them when you intend to do Medicine...

Yeah, see you there! It'll be especially weird seeing as I've applied to do medicine AT Birmingham and they'll probably know that too :confused:
Reply 59
Anyone registered for the biology/human biology/biochem applicant visit day on 30th November?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending