The Student Room Group

Social Anxiety

(edited 7 years ago)
You are DEFINITELY not alone. Especially on here, an intovert's paradise
Reply 2
One in four people in the UK will experience a mental health issue each year - you are not alone. I have social anxiety and there is unfortunately no easy fix. I have been struggling for years with my anxiety, and whilst I do still suffer from bouts of bad anxiety I have come along way and I am much more confident.
Personally, building friendships up through social media really helped me. I felt less pressured into making an important first impression because if it went wrong I could simply unfollow them and pretend it never happened. Whereas if it is face to face then it can be pretty daunting.
If you feel as though anxiety is controlling your life and preventing you from doing things then speak to a doctor and see about getting medication or arranging for counselling.
Trying to put yourself out there more can go a long way, and whilst it can be extremely intimidating to do so, it is definitely worth it. I am not talking about suddenly offering to deliver a speech in front of hundreds of people but little things can go a long way - Try smiling at people more, try responding to more social media posts, trying to strike up a conversation first rather than waiting someone to come and talk to you.
All these sorts of things can go a long way, there is no quick cure, but it allows you to develop and build your confidence. It can be frustrating yes, but it will be so so worth it.

There are plenty of anxiety helplines you can talk to if you want advice

Spoiler

I've suffered from social anxiety for years and although I'm mostly better mental health-wise now, it's the one issue I still have trouble with sometimes. Mostly these days it's walking along a busy street on my own, constantly feeling as though everyone is judging me, but my worst is probably if it snows in winter. The fear I get about slipping over in front of someone can prevent me from leaving the house. I'm a lot better with other stuff now, though, like answering the phone and making phonecalls, approaching people in shops, making eye contact.

My advice is to take things one step at a time and to look after yourself.
I suffer from social anxiety, and although i have medication, it still absolutely sucks. The only thing you can do is try. Keep pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, and eventually it will get easier. Feel free to message me :smile:
Yes, but only to an extent. For me, I can calm myself down if I'm surrounded by nice people.

I suffer from other types of anxiety and it's really bad :frown:
Yeah i suffer from social anxiety and generalised anxiety disorder. They both suck. Luckily for me I don't often get panic attacks- but I still feel super anxious in social situations- so much that it's sometimes hard to leave my room, especially alone. I'll keep my head down when walking- especially down a busy road where cars are coming the opposite way- I get paranoid they are looking at me as they go past. I have a lot of issues with self esteem and feel ugly which is why I get so paranoid I think. Then there's eye contact which I struggle with. I can often have a whole conversation without once making eye contact because I find it easier. I've lost a lot of 'friends' by being socially awkward, because I find it hard to maintain conversation and I'm often left out of social events because of it.

Generalised anxiety also means these social situations put thoughts in my head that I can't get rid of, even when I'm alone and back at home in my 'comfort zone'. I think about the situation, and anything embarrassing I might of done. I sit there wondering if people actually like me, or were pretending. I overthink each situation I have been in, or am going to be in, and sometimes talk myself out of happiness. For example if I have had a good night, and have enjoyed myself with people- i'll somehow convince myself of something that will make me think I am not liked, or that people think of me in a certain way, and I ruin it for myself. I'm on medication but it's not the best and it doesn't make much of a difference.

I know it sucks having anxiety, but you're not alone. So many people suffer with it, and they come in different ways. Advice would be to talk to somebody if you haven't already- such as a doctor or a school/uni/college counselor/mental health expert. It is so so hard keeping everything inside because you feel like bursting. I know a few people wth depression and anxiety but they aren't the type of people I can talk to. They are so open about it and it's almost as if they enjoy speaking about it, but I just can't do that. So yeah, if you can seek help, do it. I went to my doctor and got some meds, which are effective with some people, so maybe try that and see what happens. In the mean time, I'm here if you need to talk, and keep your chin up and keep going. You're not alone x
I used to but I'm working on it. I'm not the social person but I'm trying to fix that.

They way I try to deal with it is just stop thinking and just talk.
Reply 8
I hadn't it quite badly a few years ago, where I wouldn't sit in rooms with the curtain open and couldn't go school. But I've improved, and I hope you do too )

Quick Reply

Latest