The Student Room Group

Making friends at uni whilst living at home 1st year

My question is simple, is it just as easy to make friends at uni during your first year if you live at home rather than in halls?

I intend on spending as much time as I can in the first few weeks of uni at the campus meeting other people etc, but does anyone have first hand experience of whether it is harder for those who live at home to enjoy the soical life as much?

I'm assuming that those of youwho are at uni at the moment have some experience of people who live at home not in halls, do they fit in with everyone just as well?
Reply 1
I would like to know this as well. I'm planning on going to a London Uni and I already live in london (well in and around the m25) and staying at home would be cheaper + i would not be a priority for accomidation I think
Reply 2
Definitely will be harder - you get what you pay for.
Reply 3
I lived with my boyfriend, so still away from campus and everyone who stayed in halls.

I think I have less close friends than those who lived on campus but I have still made plenty of friends and met so many people, both through my course and my part time jobs working at the uni. I'm not one for going out everynight and getting drunk so it doesn't bother me too much.

You will just have to be willing to do the travelling to uni to join in at events but if you are willing to do that there shouldn't be any problems - though like the previous post says, it will just require more effort on your part.
I have less acquaintances than people who live at uni but I have about four close friends who I'll be friends with for a very long time. It's hard to make friends whilst living at home but I've found I'm mostly friends with others who commute as we can understand each other's situation. I'm not going to lie and say you will have as many friends as the people who live on campus as most of your friends will be from your course only (not your course and halls if you were living there) but if you join societies and generally make an effort to make friends you will be fine :smile:
gillipies
I lived with my boyfriend, so still away from campus and everyone who stayed in halls.

I think I have less close friends than those who lived on campus but I have still made plenty of friends and met so many people, both through my course and my part time jobs working at the uni. I'm not one for going out everynight and getting drunk so it doesn't bother me too much.

You will just have to be willing to do the travelling to uni to join in at events but if you are willing to do that there shouldn't be any problems - though like the previous post says, it will just require more effort on your part.

This is reassuring. I'm doing the same. :smile:
I know of a few people on my course who live at home, and they've had no problem making friends.
ipswichblade
This is reassuring. I'm doing the same. :smile:

Same :smile:
I wasn't at all worried about making friends at first but then the threads on here from people who have had trouble started to panic me a bit.
Abhead
Same :smile:
I wasn't at all worried about making friends at first but then the threads on here from people who have had trouble started to panic me a bit.

Yeah. I'm sure I'll be fine. :yes:
I lived at home for my first year and happened to meet other locals at uni, who then became my closest friends. I didn't find it hard at all, I don't think you should have any problems if you make an effort to talk to lots of people in Freshers' Week and on your course.
Guys relax. You can make friends wherever you go, as long as you are of course committed to it. Take school for example. You didn't have to live in the school to make friends. I know this is a bad comparison as you just can't compare Uni to school, but you can sort of relate to it.
I think it's your duty to start making friends to those unaware of the area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending