The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computing 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

What are you guys thinking of wearing for the interview? It says wear what you're comfortable in, but I remember someone said to wear a suit?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by dfbenjamin
I'm just going to wear like black jeans and a casual shirt. I expect some people will come in a suit but it just seems pretentious (and uncomfortable!) to me.

Speaking of interviews, has anyone received a response after emailing back? I need to know when they've rescheduled mine for.

Did you just reply to that email saying this: I am able to attend the interview day on Wednesday 2nd November 2016 at 12.30 pm

And yeah, my dad took me out to bluewater to buy a suit :/ but that's ok, it just says be comfortable so I guess it's whatever floats your boat
Hi all, I'm currently doing IB as an International Student.
I would like to apply to Imperial for Undergraduate in Computer Science Engineering. My predicted grades are as follows:
Maths HL : 6
Physics HL : 7
Chemistry HL : 7
Computer Science: 7
English A Lang & Lit: 6
French B SL : 6
My core points therefore add up to : 39
I know that the admission requirements state a 7 in Math HL, but if i apply, Will my application atleast be considered? or ruled out.

Thank you.
Original post by dfbenjamin
Yep just that. And wear whatever makes you comfortable!

I've asked for my computing interview to be rearranged but I haven't received a response yet. how about you?
Everyone here has amazing grades but I I got is a C, D and distinction *:frown:
But whatever, academic isnt my strong suit anyway :h:
Does anyone know what to expect in the interview? Will it be maths questions mixed with some basic Logic or...?
Original post by Adsamillion
Does anyone know what to expect in the interview? Will it be maths questions mixed with some basic Logic or...?

Had an interview last year and I got one Maths/logic question (which was pretty easy if you weren't too stressed) and then an algorithmic one (but I think people who don't have programming experience get 2 maths ones)
@thecsstudent Since you had an interview at Imp last year, could you tell us what people wore please? I don't want to look out of place.

Also, what was the algorithmic question like? Should we revise algorithms from D1?

Did they ask any questions from your personal statement or generic questions like 'why did you choose Imperial'?

Reply 88
Should I be worried that Imperial are yet to invite me to interview even though I applied on 12th October?
Reply 89
Original post by MrRoboto
Should I be worried that Imperial are yet to invite me to interview even though I applied on 12th October?

Hold your horses; the link below has all the interview dates for the year under the 'How to Apply' tab. If you haven't got one by 14th Feb then you have permission to panic - I'm a 2016 reject so I know the feeling annoyingly well.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/courses/ug/beng-meng-computing/
Original post by milkysnout
@thecsstudent Since you had an interview at Imp last year, could you tell us what people wore please? I don't want to look out of place.

Also, what was the algorithmic question like? Should we revise algorithms from D1?

Did they ask any questions from your personal statement or generic questions like 'why did you choose Imperial'?

If I remember correctly most guys were wearing suits but I'm fairly sure there were some who were dressed more casually. But to be honest I don't think anyone will pay much attention to what people are wearing.

No the algorithmic question didn't really require that much previous knowledge it was mainly common logic but I called it algorithmic because the interviewer told me to write the code for it.

I don't think my interviewer had even read my personal statement before the interview (he was reading it during the interview) but he did ask why I chose computing and what do I see myself doing after I get my degree.

Not at all I applied on the 11th last year and didn't get invited for the first interview day and now I'm studying there. I also know a guy who applied then, got an interview in February (so 4 months later) and is also studying here.
I'll prepare some answers for those questions then. Thanks!
Reply 93
Original post by Fizbo
Hold your horses; the link below has all the interview dates for the year under the 'How to Apply' tab. If you haven't got one by 14th Feb then you have permission to panic - I'm a 2016 reject so I know the feeling annoyingly well.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/prospective-students/courses/ug/beng-meng-computing/

If you don't mind me asking, what where your GCSE grades and A-Level predictions? Also what subjects did you take? Just to get an idea of the standard of applicants.
Reply 94
If you don't mind me asking, what where your GCSE grades and A-Level predictions? Also what subjects did you take? Just to get an idea of the standard of applicants.

I applied in December after I got my results, so had final grades instead of predictions - A*A*AB in maths, further maths, french and art (respectively), and GCSEs were 11A*s, but had nowt really to put on my personal statement cause I'd only chosen to go for computing right when I was finishing A-Levels.
I'd say start STEP prep regardless of whether you will eventually get it in the offer or not! It will improve your maths ability, which is a good thing. Also don't stress about not hearing back, I applied before the Cambridge deadline and had my interview end of February!
Reply 96
Those who had interviews, how did you find them? What questions did they ask?
Does anyone know how long after interview we can expect a decision?

knowing the department, as late as possible lol

I think it's usually around 2 weeks after unless they can't decide and want to interview more people first in which case it could be months

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending