The Student Room Group

2017 Prospective Classics Students

Hello!

I thought I'd make a thread for us all to discuss where we've applied (and hopefully get offers from)!

I have applied to: Oxford, UCL, Durham, Manchester and Kings! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hadd0ck
Hello!

I thought I'd make a thread for us all to discuss where we've applied (and hopefully get offers from)!

I have applied to: Oxford, UCL, Durham, Manchester and Kings! :smile:

Yeah, I'm applying to Oxford... which college are you? And also Bristol, Nottingham, KCL and another one somewhere somehow...
Reply 2
Original post by mazzaion
Yeah, I'm applying to Oxford... which college are you? And also Bristol, Nottingham, KCL and another one somewhere somehow...

I've applied to Brasenose :smile:
Original post by Hadd0ck
I've applied to Brasenose :smile:

Same here, it's all about going for the most over-subscribed college :wink:
Reply 4
Woooh!

Capture.PNG
Reply 5
Hey! I'm applying to Balliol College Oxford, UCL, KCL, Bristol (which I've got an offer for!), Edinburgh and Trinity College Dublin :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mazzaion
Same here, it's all about going for the most over-subscribed college :wink:

Is that a joke or genuine tip? I'm applying for universities next year and want to study Classics, I'm thinking of applying to St. Anne's, it's not a tactical thing, I genuinely want to go there. It's a smaller college and I like the atmosphere and the current Classics tutors. Should I be applying for the more over subscribed colleges?
Reply 7
Original post by eu.ad
Is that a joke or genuine tip? I'm applying for universities next year and want to study Classics, I'm thinking of applying to St. Anne's, it's not a tactical thing, I genuinely want to go there. It's a smaller college and I like the atmosphere and the current Classics tutors. Should I be applying for the more over subscribed colleges?

No that's a joke, (I assume!) apply to the one you would like to spend three years in. You're just as likely to get in anywhere!
Reply 8
Original post by Hadd0ck
No that's a joke, (I assume!) apply to the one you would like to spend three years in. You're just as likely to get in anywhere!

That's a relief! In that case, your joke was pretty funny.

I hope it all goes well for you and that you get into Brasenose college and have a great time studying Classics. The world needs more funny Classicists.
Original post by eu.ad

That was a joke, actually it just means I have more chances of being redirected to another college if getting interviews than less subscribed colleges would. In the end it doesn't make any difference, people who should get interviews/places get their interviews/places ^^
Has anyone got any offers yet? I've got one from Nottingham 🙂. Starting to get a bit on edge about the others though (I know it's unreasonable at this early stage, but still!)😬
Reply 11
Original post by Kalahari99
Has anyone got any offers yet? I've got one from Nottingham 🙂. Starting to get a bit on edge about the others though (I know it's unreasonable at this early stage, but still!)😬

I have one for classics at Manchester. Where else have you applied? :smile:
Original post by Hadd0ck
I have one for classics at Manchester. Where else have you applied? :smile:

I've also applied to Oxford, St Andrew's, King's and Exeter - I know St Andrew's defo won't reply till after the January deadline, but apparently people have been getting offers from KCL and Exeter...
Reply 13
Original post by Kalahari99
I've also applied to Oxford, St Andrew's, King's and Exeter - I know St Andrew's defo won't reply till after the January deadline, but apparently people have been getting offers from KCL and Exeter...

have kings offers been for classics? i've only heard about STEM offers...
Reply 14
Original post by adaword

I've seen Kings offers for Humanities and STEM, no classics as of yet I think.
Original post by adaword

Idk, don't think so, just that I heard about offers for other subjects, probs just me overreacting!
Reply 16
Hello! I've applied to Oxford (New College), Durham, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, and Nottingham. I got an offer from Nottingham just over a week ago but none from the others so far! My friend who applied to the same as me except Exeter instead of Nottingham got an offer from Edinburgh, but she's an international student (outside EU) and I think they give offers to international students first :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by cdyssey
Hello! I've applied to Oxford (New College), Durham, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, and Nottingham. I got an offer from Nottingham just over a week ago but none from the others so far! My friend who applied to the same as me except Exeter instead of Nottingham got an offer from Edinburgh, but she's an international student (outside EU) and I think they give offers to international students first :smile:

Salve! Welcome to the thread and congratulations to your friend. :smile:
Also Applying to (New) Oxford! As well as St A, UCL, Durham.
Reply 19
Good luck on the cat tomorrow guys :d

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending