The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is it laughable to put Durham after Oxbridge as the best?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Magic Streets
Then go away and be at peace. Cheap reps scrounger.

I am at peace, I'm not wigging out over it??

Evidently doesn't seem I have to do much to get rep though lol. Some of us make decent contributions, not rehash the same tedious rubbish day in day out OP...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Supersaps
Depends on the department. Arguably, in the humanities, it is competitive. Imperial takes the winning ticket on many STEM subjects and is better than Oxbridge in some subjects.

I think Durham is less attractive because its in the north meaning many top students won't even consider it. Meanwhile, I think the London unis are overrated for the same reason.

Finally, I think Durham's employment opportunities are slightly inflated due to the fact it is incredibly attractive to private school pupils which tend to get better jobs even compared to state school pupils from the same university. So, that advantage is one it inherits from simply being attractive to kids from a private school background.

SS

Would that mean Durham's state school graduates have poorer graduate prospects than other universities in the same "calibre"? Or poorer graduate prospects than private school graduates at "lower" universities?
Reply 22
Original post by asmuse123
Would that mean Durham's state school graduates have poorer graduate prospects than other universities in the same "calibre"? Or poorer graduate prospects than private school graduates at "lower" universities?

Basically, if you went to a private school before university, it doesn't really matter what uni you went to as long as it wasn't a poly, you studied a 'good' subject and got at least a 2:1 . Private schools have these massive alumni networks which graduates can access after uni, so the alumni can hook you up with fantastic jobs after graduation. It's definitely not fair, but it is the way that it works - money leads to money :/
Obviously, it's not the same for everyone but in general the south produces more top students than the north, your goodself ever excepted, of course!

On what basis does that calculation work?
True, the networking starts early and public school pupils stick together. One can see even in first year at uni when cliques of students mingle as they know each other from school. Their parents also help each other out when their kids need internships. "my son wants to intern with a bank, can you help"/

Original post by aelms10
Basically, if you went to a private school before university, it doesn't really matter what uni you went to as long as it wasn't a poly, you studied a 'good' subject and got at least a 2:1 . Private schools have these massive alumni networks which graduates can access after uni, so the alumni can hook you up with fantastic jobs after graduation. It's definitely not fair, but it is the way that it works - money leads to money :/
Original post by 999tigger
On what basis does that calculation work?

There are many brilliant students in the north there are many not so clever students in south.

However, this is the UK and generally everything revolves around London or your proximity to it. The majority of the UK's best schools and universities are in the south. Oxbridge and Imperial are widely considered to be the best in the UK. The south just has more money and the north has traditionally been more industrial.

And many southern students are pretty prejudiced about not heading north.

Would you argue that the north produces more top students than the south?

SS
There are many brilliant students in the north there are many not so clever students in south.

However, this is the UK and generally everything revolves around London or your proximity to it. The majority of the UK's best schools and universities are in the south. Oxbridge and Imperial are widely considered to be the best in the UK. The south just has more money and the north has traditionally been more industrial.

And many southern students are pretty prejudiced about not heading north.

Would you argue that the north produces more top students than the south?

SS

So the basis of your assertion is because there are more people in the south and more academic institutions?
Original post by Lord Jon
I am at peace, I'm not wigging out over it??

Evidently doesn't seem I have to do much to get rep though lol. Some of us make decent contributions, not rehash the same tedious rubbish day in day out OP...

Be off! This thread is not for you. Do not post any more junk on here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
So the basis of your assertion is because there are more people in the south and more academic institutions?

Pretty much. I don't have any scholarly evidence to back it up. :smile:
Doesn't seem that unreasonable.
It really depends on the course.

If you look at history, for instance, it ranks quite high. I wouldn't say it's right behind Oxbridge for other courses, though.
Original post by etoile89
It really depends on the course.

If you look at history, for instance, it ranks quite high. I wouldn't say it's right behind Oxbridge for other courses, though.

But the students and staff at other RG universities aren't going to be much more stupid than those at Durham for History, are they?
But the students and staff at other RG universities aren't going to be much more stupid than those at Durham for History, are they?

I think this is a matter of looking into what goes into department rankings. :biggrin:

I can't disagree with you, but I'm saying that in some departments, Durham might be closer to Oxbridge based on rankings... whereas other departments aren't ranked as highly.
Original post by etoile89
I think this is a matter of looking into what goes into department rankings. :biggrin:

I can't disagree with you, but I'm saying that in some departments, Durham might be closer to Oxbridge based on rankings... whereas other departments aren't ranked as highly.

But in reality, subject tables are overrated aren't they? A matter of a small difference in scored can rank one university 1st and another 7th, even if it is just a slightly better student satisfaction score.
But in reality, subject tables are overrated aren't they? A matter of a small difference in scored can rank one university 1st and another 7th, even if it is just a slightly better student satisfaction score.

I don't think subject tables are overrated. I pay attention to them -- particularly in applying to graduate programs. I'm applying to a mix of grad programs in the US and the UK. You can even drill down by field strengths -- US history, British history, global history, imperial history, etc.

As a US applicant hoping to get into a US PhD program, I'm really selective in looking at British MA programs. I care about international reputation, research opportunities, whether or not the faculty are publishing / leaders in their field, class size, etc. It's better to hear "Oh, you went there!" rather than "You went where?"

Are you applying to Durham or a current student there? Are you trying to cull through programs to apply to?

You can see the methodology for ranking programs here:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/methodology/
Reply 35
It depends on the subjects and the criteria in judging. When it comes to law, in the eyes of the recruiting partners of the biggest UK and international law firms, Durham is right after Oxford and Cambridge. See the survey here:
http://www.chambersstudent.com/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

The result has been the same for quite a few years: Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, and the rest.
Original post by leehoma
It depends on the subjects and the criteria in judging. When it comes to law, in the eyes of the recruiting partners of the biggest UK and international law firms, Durham is right after Oxford and Cambridge. See the survey here:
http://www.chambersstudent.com/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

The result has been the same for quite a few years: Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, and the rest.

For Law, Durham is certainly in the top 5 category.

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
UCL
KCL = Durham
Durham is actually number 1 for English.
Of course, that's just one subject, and overall I think the uni is 6th on the league tables this year (though that's hardly an awful score).
If there's any wonder why it's considered the third best uni in the country, it might be due to the fact it's the third oldest; there is something to be said for a university that's been around 600 years.
Plus, it's in a beautiful historical city with a castle and cathedral right in the middle of it, a castle that some students get to live in no less. That alone impresses a lot of people.
Nearly everyone I know who went to Durham (not the largest sample in the world, but a few) also applied to Oxford or Cambridge and were rejects. Durham seems to have a chip on its shoulder about being the poor relation of Oxbridge and the students likewise. Maybe my sample was unrepresentative.
Original post by Ipsooo
Depends on what factors you rank it on. Research, yes, maybe London unis are better in fact imperial and lse dominate Oxbridge in some areas even. But if its quality of teaching and student life and general prestige then Durham is definitely one of the best after Oxbridge and their tutorial system.

I think Durham is a little overrated on TSR. It is a very good university, quite possibly a top 10-12 university in the UK. Knobody on the street would care if you said you went to Durham, but if you said you went to Oxbridge they would likely instantly marvel at you as being part of the elite. If anything, people should be rating Edinburgh University a bit more, it is more grand than Durham overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending