The Student Room Group

Experience Help!

Hey,

I'm not sure whether I want to go into publishing or journalism yet as I haven't had any work experience. However, I would like to take English Literature (and possibly German) at university.

I was just wondering what kind of things I could do to get a feel for this sector, aside from actual work experience - I think that maybe starting a blog may be useful but I'm not sure. I'm currently doing my GCSEs and so I'm looking for something that doesn't take up too much of my time.

I would love to get some ideas and hear about any of your experiences~~

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bxcks_
Hey,

I'm not sure whether I want to go into publishing or journalism yet as I haven't had any work experience. However, I would like to take English Literature (and possibly German) at university.

I was just wondering what kind of things I could do to get a feel for this sector, aside from actual work experience, as I think that maybe starting a blog may be useful but I'm not sure.

I would love to get some ideas and hear about any of your experiences~

Thanks! :smile:

Write for anyone you can - the University will have a variety of student papers, websites etc
Original post by threeportdrift
Write for anyone you can - the University will have a variety of student papers, websites etc

Thanks for you're advice, I'm not in university yet, so do you suggest that I find other sources to write to?
Hey,

One of my first careers was in publishing. What I found really helped get me an incite into the sector and a head start from others applying was work experience. I was luck enough to get lots of work experience at Bloomsbury. A lot of publishing houses offer 2 weeks+ work experience in their offices. You could also try and get some work experience in a newspaper or magazine to get a feel for journalism as well.

Here's some sector info about Publishing that might help you out:
http://advice.milkround.com/sector/media-publishing

I hope this helps!
Original post by Milkround
Hey,

One of my first careers was in publishing. What I found really helped get me an incite into the sector and a head start from others applying was work experience. I was luck enough to get lots of work experience at Bloomsbury. A lot of publishing houses offer 2 weeks+ work experience in their offices. You could also try and get some work experience in a newspaper or magazine to get a feel for journalism as well.

Here's some sector info about Publishing that might help you out:
http://advice.milkround.com/sector/media-publishing

I hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your advice! I've applied for work experience through my school so I'll see what kind I get through there. I'm also part of the production team for my school magazine. I'm currently doing my GCSEs so I'm looking more for things that don't take up a large amount of time for me as I'm also going to be applying for a job soon. Thank you for the sector info, it is very useful!
No problem at all. Happy to help, and good luck with all your applications!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending