The Student Room Group

Debenhams Job (part times sales adviser

Hey guys, please please do me a massive favour and answer this question. Okay so I applied for a job at Debenhams, I was then invited to a telephone interview in which I was told straight away that I passed! I was then invited to a group interview on thursdag and I thought I done well. (I did try my best and it was a good interview.) we then had a 3 minute session 1-1 which was when I was asked about my hours and how immediately I can start and how much I would get paid and all the legal questions. Then I asked when I would be notified baring in mind the time of the interview was 6:30PM and he said that I would be contacted in 2 days.however I was not contacted at all yesterday and I don't think I would be contacted today since it's Saturday. Do you think he meant 2 working days or has anyone here been contacted by Debenhams on a Saturday??? Also reading my experience do you think I got the job?? Please answer because I have searched every other thread and nothing specifies what I'm asking. I would prefer if people who worked/interviewed at Debenhams answered. Thankyou so much

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, i have an interview in two days and i was wondering if you could give me an insight into how the group interview was? what sort of questions did they ask you x and any news on whether they've contacted you yet, hope they did!!
Reply 2
Original post by Sam98x
Hi, i have an interview in two days and i was wondering if you could give me an insight into how the group interview was? what sort of questions did they ask you x and any news on whether they've contacted you yet, hope they did!!

Heya, the interview is a breeze. My interview was basically Introduce you in the beginning with 3 interested facts about yourself. Then we had some questions on the history of Debenhams (I didn't really prepare so I kinda just made stuff up 😂) then we began talking about customer service, they ask u about your experiences (this is vital because they tally you to see who speaks up so make sure you do) and then we do a group task which consists of Debenhams competitiors (make sure you know; it's Marks and Spencer's, John Lewis and House Of Fraser) we then got to go out on the shop floor with clipboards and then basically we were told to look around and see any good things about the store and things that need to improve. We then came back in the room discussed it and then we were in groups when we talked about a brand and who would buy it ect. Make sure you don't get out off any ages cause there may be some old people but don't get out off cause everyone is lovely. And then that was it tbh; we were then taken to individual interview which was 2 mins literally just talking about hours and legal questions (make sure u take a passport) and boom it's done. I sadly did get a reply saying I did really well in the interview but there were no more vacancies of that specific hours which I'm bummed out cause I did work hard and it's quite a *****y feeling tbh. They did say they are keeping my details on a file because I passed the assessment and if any vacancies pop up I will be contacted but I doubt they would even bother 😞😔 anyways the interview was good interview just dress smart be early and be confident. Hope I helped xx
Reply 3
Hi there, I currently work at the debenhams as a sales advisor. what I suggest you do is actually ring up the store manager of the store you applied for, there's a good chance they had a large amount of applications for that job and only reply to a select few.
Reply 4
Original post by Mel.p96
Hi there, I currently work at the debenhams as a sales advisor. what I suggest you do is actually ring up the store manager of the store you applied for, there's a good chance they had a large amount of applications for that job and only reply to a select few.

If I ring them up what should I say? Because the email said I passed the scoring criteria but there are no more vacancies for 8-12 hours shifts. They said they will keep my details on the file in case anyone don't show up or whatnot but what do you think will happen if I call them. Please PM me or reply on this thread Asap
Reply 5
Okay so was the job you applied for a Christmas temp or a permanent position?

Shortly after I started in April I was told by the lady who hired me does actually contact those who have already applied and passed the interviews when ever there is a new job available because they know the candidate is already interested in the position and they would rather contact those on file rather than post a new job online.

Are you sure you can't do more hours than 8-12? Because when you ring up you could ask if there is other positions available with more hours. When you ring up, ring in the morning if you can and ask for the store manager, ask about other possible positions with different hours or Christmas temp positions.
Reply 6
Original post by Mel.p96
Okay so was the job you applied for a Christmas temp or a permanent position?

Shortly after I started in April I was told by the lady who hired me does actually contact those who have already applied and passed the interviews when ever there is a new job available because they know the candidate is already interested in the position and they would rather contact those on file rather than post a new job online.

Are you sure you can't do more hours than 8-12? Because when you ring up you could ask if there is other positions available with more hours. When you ring up, ring in the morning if you can and ask for the store manager, ask about other possible positions with different hours or Christmas temp positions.

Okay, So i applied for a Christmas Temp job. And really i wouldvve thought theyd say that and theen chuck my details away tbh. I am a studdent (sixthform) i am fully flexible on weekends (i cant start early and finish late) but weekdays is kind of an issue since i finish college at 3:25 and its takes around less than hour toget to my shopwhich is going to later the times. But imnot sure what times hesaid i would work on weekends because as i said i am fully flexible andalso i amable to work on Christmas eve, Boxing day, New Years Eve and New years day and iam also able to work on college holidays (christmas holidays ect)
Reply 7
Okay, maybe you would be better off asking for a 12-16 hour position, so two 8 hour shifts. Maybe asking for a early start on Saturdays maybe 9am-4pm? and Sundays (Sunday hours are 11am-6:30pm) so not a late finish. Being flexible around Christmas is a bonus as hardly anyone will want to work those shifts. And depending of which store you applied for, no doubt they'll be posting more jobs online (possibly more Christmas temps or permanent jobs) There always seems to be jobs available at the store I work at. And if you don't end up with a job with debenhams, try applying for one of the concessions within store, they always need multiple people working for them.
Reply 8
Original post by Mel.p96
Okay, maybe you would be better off asking for a 12-16 hour position, so two 8 hour shifts. Maybe asking for a early start on Saturdays maybe 9am-4pm? and Sundays (Sunday hours are 11am-6:30pm) so not a late finish. Being flexible around Christmas is a bonus as hardly anyone will want to work those shifts. And depending of which store you applied for, no doubt they'll be posting more jobs online (possibly more Christmas temps or permanent jobs) There always seems to be jobs available at the store I work at. And if you don't end up with a job with debenhams, try applying for one of the concessions within store, they always need multiple people working for them.

Do you think i should call them or shall i leave it and hope i recieve a call? Yeah i would be able to work all those christmas shifts becuase i dont celebrate it so thats no biggie. And do you think more jobs will come up especially in this time? Im kind of bummed out since i thought i did well. and if yes how long do you think becuase there were around 10 of us at the interview and im not sure how many people got the jobs tbh.
Reply 9
If I were you, I would properly hope to receive a call. Maybe keep an eye out on the debenhams job website for any new job openings and apply for them, you'll be in with a better chance of getting a job if you apply for another position because they'll already have you on file. Yeah they'll be loads of jobs available soon, they've only just started with Christmas temp jobs. I'd especially keep an eye out for jobs maybe just after Christmas as temps leave, they'll be looking for permanent staff. And as for the 10 people who did the interview with you, I reckon only about 2 got offered a job.

Which store was it that you applied for?
Reply 10
Original post by Mel.p96
If I were you, I would properly hope to receive a call. Maybe keep an eye out on the debenhams job website for any new job openings and apply for them, you'll be in with a better chance of getting a job if you apply for another position because they'll already have you on file. Yeah they'll be loads of jobs available soon, they've only just started with Christmas temp jobs. I'd especially keep an eye out for jobs maybe just after Christmas as temps leave, they'll be looking for permanent staff. And as for the 10 people who did the interview with you, I reckon only about 2 got offered a job.

Which store was it that you applied for?

Lets hope i recieve a job offer then. And not many vacancies atm but ill keep looking and i hope more will pop up and i am able to recieve a call from them. I thought that Christmas Jobs were ending lol great to know that they just started. I applied for Bromley one.
Reply 11
Have you tried applying for other places such as Primark, Argos, Next and M&S? They're apparently really good for weekend jobs and are flexible when it comes to people still in education. A girl I work with said that M&S is really good and you can even do apprenticeships with them and they pay really well.
Reply 12
Original post by Mel.p96
Have you tried applying for other places such as Primark, Argos, Next and M&S? They're apparently really good for weekend jobs and are flexible when it comes to people still in education. A girl I work with said that M&S is really good and you can even do apprenticeships with them and they pay really well.

I have applied to Primark (waiting for a answer back), Argos rejected me, Next accepted me but there were nomore vacancies and M&S shifts requireme to work late evenings as well as weekends.
Reply 13
Thank you sooo much! This was so helpful! My interview is today, hopefully it goes well. And oh right :frown: , did you not ask if any other shift timings were available? If you're still searching for an xtemp, good luck! Look around at different stores because lots will be intaking. x
Reply 14
Hi, sorry can i just ask what the deb uniform is like? Are black skirts allowed for females? x
Original post by Mel.p96
Reply 15
i'm trying to figure out how to rep you? i don't use this much so i'm not sure how?! 😭
Original post by siidrraah
Heya, the interview is a breeze. My interview was basically Introduce you in the beginning with 3 interested facts about yourself. Then we had some questions on the history of Debenhams (I didn't really prepare so I kinda just made stuff up 😂) then we began talking about customer service, they ask u about your experiences (this is vital because they tally you to see who speaks up so make sure you do) and then we do a group task which consists of Debenhams competitiors (make sure you know; it's Marks and Spencer's, John Lewis and House Of Fraser) we then got to go out on the shop floor with clipboards and then basically we were told to look around and see any good things about the store and things that need to improve. We then came back in the room discussed it and then we were in groups when we talked about a brand and who would buy it ect. Make sure you don't get out off any ages cause there may be some old people but don't get out off cause everyone is lovely. And then that was it tbh; we were then taken to individual interview which was 2 mins literally just talking about hours and legal questions (make sure u take a passport) and boom it's done. I sadly did get a reply saying I did really well in the interview but there were no more vacancies of that specific hours which I'm bummed out cause I did work hard and it's quite a *****y feeling tbh. They did say they are keeping my details on a file because I passed the assessment and if any vacancies pop up I will be contacted but I doubt they would even bother 😞😔 anyways the interview was good interview just dress smart be early and be confident. Hope I helped xx
Reply 16
Debenhams uniform is just a black top and either black work pants or a skirt, only oxford street have the official uniform.
Reply 17
Original post by Mel.p96
Debenhams uniform is just a black top and either black work pants or a skirt, only oxford street have the official uniform.

I got the job and i start soon, is the skirt mid length or floor length? i'm mainly asking for religious reasons as opposed to worrying about how i'd look in it! :smile:
Reply 18
Congratulations :smile: are you buying your own uniform or getting a uniform from work?
Reply 19
Original post by Mel.p96
Congratulations :smile: are you buying your own uniform or getting a uniform from work?

Thank you! I didn't know know you could choose? It's a xmas temp so i'm not sure if they'll provide it or we buy it. If i were to purchase my own, would i be allowed to wear an ankle length skirt ? I only got told today about the job and have my first training next week so i haven't been told much..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending