The Student Room Group

GCSE retake/resits

I got a B at Core Science in GCSE and I'm obviously not happy with it and decided to retake it, I do have a valid reason why I retook it. And no, I don't need any negativity rubbish from anyone. I want to do Computer Science at Cambridge.
Reply 1
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
I got a B at Core Science in GCSE and I'm obviously not happy with it and decided to retake it, I do have a valid reason why I retook it. And no, I don't need any negativity rubbish from anyone. I want to do Computer Science at Cambridge.

Ok, so what's your question?

I think they will consider you but otherwise beyond that point your application will have to be very strong.
Reply 3
Original post by SM6
I think they will consider you but otherwise beyond that point your application will have to be very strong.

As does any applicant for Cambridge...

GCSEs are not so important. Retaking one will make little difference to an application.
Original post by jneill
As does any applicant for Cambridge...

GCSEs are not so important. Retaking one will make little difference to an application.

Right so isn't it also better to focus more on A-Levels?
Reply 5
Original post by SM6
Right so isn't it also better to focus more on A-Levels?

Yes it is.

OP is implying they have have already retaken it. But yes if they are *planning* to retake a non-required GCSE then the advice would be not to bother...
Original post by jneill
Yes it is.

OP is implying they have have already retaken it. But yes if they are *planning* to retake a non-required GCSE then the advice would be not to bother...

Oh. Let's say if you did would they consider the re-take results or original?
Reply 7
Original post by SM6
Oh. Let's say if you did would they consider the re-take results or original?

You declare both.
Original post by jneill
as does any applicant for cambridge...

gcses are not so important. Retaking one will make little difference to an application.

omg, really??? :smile:
Well, this question is directed at people who have received offers from Cambridge but tips from everyone is greatly appreciated :smile: :biggrin:
Original post by jneill
Ok, so what's your question?

Well, can I still get into Cambridge successfully for Computer Science despite the fact I retook Core Science with a B grade? I only joined in Year 10 but my teachers say that's really good but no, I'm not happy. I'm thinking about joining my little sister's grammar school for 6th form and acing my A-Levels there as well as my entry test for Computer Science such as CSAT and STEP and my interview in order to compensate for my GCSEs. Is that cool with Cambridge? I heard that they care a LOT more about your A-Level grades, entry test results (depending on the course) and interview.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Well, can I still get into Cambridge successfully for Computer Science despite the fact I retook Core Science with a B grade? I only joined in Year 10 but my teachers say that's really good but no, I'm not happy. I'm thinking about joining my little sister's grammar school for 6th form and acing my A-Levels there as well as my entry test for Computer Science such as CSAT and STEP and my interview in order to compensate for my GCSEs. Is that cool with Cambridge? I heard that they care a LOT more about your A-Level grades, entry test results (depending on the course) and interview.

Yes that's cool with Cambridge.

And you don't need to do STEP for "standard" CompSci, only the "with Maths" version.

Focus on your A-levels for now. What subjects are you doing?
Original post by jneill
Yes that's cool with Cambridge.

And you don't need to do STEP for "standard" CompSci, only the "with Maths" version.

Focus on your A-levels for now. What subjects are you doing?

I'm currently in Year 11 :biggrin: for A-Levels I'm planning to take Physics, Chemistry, Maths & Further Maths
Reply 13
I'm currently in Year 11 :biggrin: for A-Levels I'm planning to take Physics, Chemistry, Maths & Further Maths

I'm confused... Have you retaken, or you are just thinking about retaking your GCSE?

(Your planned A-levels are fine.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I'm confused... Have you retaken, or you are just thinking about retaking your GCSE?

(Your planned A-levels are fine.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've told my science teacher I wish to retake therefore I am doing the Core Science GCSE again this summer :smile: sorry for the confusion
Reply 15
I've told my science teacher I wish to retake therefore I am doing the Core Science GCSE again this summer :smile: sorry for the confusion

That's fine then. Good luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending