The Student Room Group

Medicine A100 Leeds 2017 entry

For all those people applying to Leeds A100 for entry in 2017.

Scroll to see replies

Hey thanks for starting this, I'm thinking about applying to Leeds!
Hey guys I'm a medical student at Leeds currently about to intercalate after finishing my 3rd year. If you have any questions please feel free to ask but please check the Leeds website/prospectus first as lots of info is already there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by heythere247
Hey guys I'm a medical student at Leeds currently about to intercalate after finishing my 3rd year. If you have any questions please feel free to ask but please check the Leeds website/prospectus first as lots of info is already there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! So glad someone made a thread for this hahaha
What makes Leeds different to other unis for medicine?
Best advice on how to make a successful application?
How heavily do they weigh in all the different parts of an application?
What's student life like (bit of a vague one, I know)?
What were your other choices and why?

Thank you so much!!
Original post by L7416
Hi! So glad someone made a thread for this hahaha
What makes Leeds different to other unis for medicine?
Best advice on how to make a successful application?
How heavily do they weigh in all the different parts of an application?
What's student life like (bit of a vague one, I know)?
What were your other choices and why?

Thank you so much!!

Hey! I'll try to answer your questions as well as possible!

1. Hard to say because I haven't studied at the others :tongue: however the main thing I like about the course is that you get patient contact for the first year (half a day of placement a week, or at least that's how it was when I was in first year) which I much prefer than some very traditional university's which don't have placements until 3rd year.

2. Again hard to say as it's unique to you! One gem of advice I got however was that every sentence in your PS should say something about you as a person, not just things you did or observed.

3. Best having a look on this page, the selection process often changes in which case this website will be the best source: http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/202/applying_for_the_mbchb/84/the_selection_process

4. Student life is really fun! And it's great having more independence. Can get a bit tiresome being low on money from time to time but on the whole you meet so many new people and Leeds has such a great nightlife there's plenty to do! Really couldn't wait to come back here after the summer!

5. My other choices were Birmingham, Bristol and Cardiff. I've always liked Birmingham because I think it has a really nice campus. I really like the city of Cardiff and it has a similar curriculum to Leeds (very hard choosing between the two for me). I applied to Bristol purely because it didn't require the UKCAT and my score wasn't very good :tongue: (Note Leeds used the UKCAT rather than the BMAT when I applied).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5

1. Hard to say because I haven't studied at the others :tongue: however the main thing I like about the course is that you get patient contact for the first year (half a day of placement a week, or at least that's how it used to be!) which I much prefer than some very traditional university's which don't have placements until 3rd year.

2. Again hard to say as it's unique to you! One gem of advice I got however was that every sentence in your PS should say something about you as a person, not just things you did or observed.

3. Best having a look on this page, the selection process often changes in which case this website will be the best source: http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/202/applying_for_the_mbchb/84/the_selection_process

4. Student life is really fun! And it's great having more independence. Can get a bit tiresome being low on money from time to time but on the whole you meet so many new people and Leeds has such a great nightlife there's plenty to do! Really couldn't wait to come back here after the summer!

5. My other choices were Birmingham, Bristol and Cardiff. I've always liked Birmingham because I think it has a really nice campus. I really like the city of Cardiff and it has a similar curriculum to Leeds (very hard choosing between the two for me). I applied to Bristol purely because it didn't require the UKCAT and my score wasn't very good :tongue: (Note Leeds used the UKCAT rather than the BMAT when I applied).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking at Cardiff too!! How did you pick between the two?
Original post by L7416
I'm looking at Cardiff too!! How did you pick between the two?

It was hard but the thing that tipped it was that I was an Access to Leeds student so my offer was lowered to ABB but only if I selected Leeds as my firm. Luckily I didn't need it in the end but there was no way I was turning down that offer so that kind of decided for me. I have no regrets though I love it here, such a great city to live in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
It said on the websites that to score full marks in the Academic section ,you either need 9A*s or 3As at AS Level. BUT because i have achieved my A Level and have also exceeded their standard offer, will i get full marks in that section?
Reply 8
Hi everyone,

hows everyone getting on with their PS and BMAT prep?

Quick question, i am a graduate applicant holding a distinction in a master degree (MPharm), have A at A- level chemistry, A in GCSE english, from what i understand this will give me full academic marks, can anyone confirm?
Reply 9
Original post by Window16
Hi everyone,

hows everyone getting on with their PS and BMAT prep?

Quick question, i am a graduate applicant holding a distinction in a master degree (MPharm), have A at A- level chemistry, A in GCSE english, from what i understand this will give me full academic marks, can anyone confirm?

What did you get in your undergrad degree?
Reply 10
If you are a graduate you need a 2.1 in your first degree and a b in a level chemistry. They don't count masters or doctorates and if you have done more than one degree they use your first. If you have a 2.2 then you won't score full marks. They also don't use your other a levels or gcse grades.
Original post by Earth1
It said on the websites that to score full marks in the Academic section ,you either need 9A*s or 3As at AS Level. BUT because i have achieved my A Level and have also exceeded their standard offer, will i get full marks in that section?

No, there are 8 points for achieved or predicted A levels and 27 points for GCSE or AS.
Original post by michellem3
What did you get in your undergrad degree?

Distinction, average>80%
Reply 13
Original post by Mathsmad123
No, there are 8 points for achieved or predicted A levels and 27 points for GCSE or AS.

I got A*A*A (Chem, Maths and Biol resp)for A level, AAAB (Maths, FM, Chem and Biol resp) for AS Level and 1A*, 5As and 3Bs
How many points will i get?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Earth1
I got A*A*A (Chem, Maths and Biol resp)for A level, AAAB (Maths, FM, Chem and Biol resp) for AS Level and 1A*, 5As and 3Bs
How many points will i get?

Now the question in your case is will leeds score both FM and normal maths, if they do you'd get 27/27 :smile: Try sending them an email or calling them
Reply 15
Original post by Mathsmad123
Now the question in your case is will leeds score both FM and normal maths, if they do you'd get 27/27 :smile: Try sending them an email or calling them

Thank you for your helps!:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Window16
Distinction, average>80%

So you got a 1st? You just need and a b at a level chemistry. They don't take any higher qualifications into account.
Original post by michellem3
So you got a 1st? You just need and a b at a level chemistry. They don't take any higher qualifications into account.

This is comforting to hear, just working on the PS, getting down to 47 lines and 4000 characters is a job within itself, any advice or support?
Hi everyone,
I heard that leeds take alot of people through other access courses and quite alot of places are given to mature students. How many of the actual places are given to the undergraduates going through UCAS???

1. Hard to say because I haven't studied at the others :tongue: however the main thing I like about the course is that you get patient contact for the first year (half a day of placement a week, or at least that's how it was when I was in first year) which I much prefer than some very traditional university's which don't have placements until 3rd year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On my work experience paragraph, i talked a lot about what my observations showed me about medicine. What's your take on that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending