The Student Room Group

British Gas - Trainee smart meter expert

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leggett95
I'm starting on the 14th of November but I'm at Leicester

I start Leicester on 14th also.
Original post by Charlie1313

Once you have had the assessment day, how long before you find out if you have passed or not?
Original post by Lobs84
Once you have had the assessment day, how long before you find out if you have passed or not?

It was a week later.
Anyone starting at reading on the 21st?
Hi all.

I just signed up and wanted to say thanks for the advice and reading so far.

I passed my telephone interview on Thursday and have been invited to an assessment for this Thursday. Since then I've been trying to read as much as possible and this forum has been a great help.

Well done to those of you that have got the job. Here's to hoping I'll be joining you! I'm nervous about the interview but hopefully I'll be able to hold it together ok and stay calm (that's the biggest problem for me).

Cheers.
Original post by Matt_Norfolk
Hi all.

I just signed up and wanted to say thanks for the advice and reading so far.

I passed my telephone interview on Thursday and have been invited to an assessment for this Thursday. Since then I've been trying to read as much as possible and this forum has been a great help.

Well done to those of you that have got the job. Here's to hoping I'll be joining you! I'm nervous about the interview but hopefully I'll be able to hold it together ok and stay calm (that's the biggest problem for me).

Cheers.

On the practical it is essential that you put on the safety glasses and gloves. Make sure that the switch is in the OFF position.
Refer to the diagram often and make it obvious to the observers that you are doing so. As you go along, trace the path of the flow with your finger like you would do navigating a maze.
Once you are finished make absolutely sure that it is exactly like the diagram and tidy everything away.
You will then be asked to return it to the way that you found it so make sure you know what it was like.

I found the interview tough so it is essential that you read every post on this thread. The information here is invaluable.

For the group discussion research everything you can on ways to save energy.
You will be given some information, but different ways are good.
Most importantly contribute, allow others to contribute but even more importantly ENCOURAGE others to contribute.

Just take your time, be yourself and you'll be fine.

Best of luck.

Marc
Original post by Marcus134
On the practical it is essential that you put on the safety glasses and gloves. Make sure that the switch is in the OFF position.
Refer to the diagram often and make it obvious to the observers that you are doing so. As you go along, trace the path of the flow with your finger like you would do navigating a maze.
Once you are finished make absolutely sure that it is exactly like the diagram and tidy everything away.
You will then be asked to return it to the way that you found it so make sure you know what it was like.

I found the interview tough so it is essential that you read every post on this thread. The information here is invaluable.

For the group discussion research everything you can on ways to save energy.
You will be given some information, but different ways are good.
Most importantly contribute, allow others to contribute but even more importantly ENCOURAGE others to contribute.

Just take your time, be yourself and you'll be fine.

Best of luck.

Marc

Marc. Thanks for the reply.

I will bear in mind what you have said.

For me, I just need to stay calm and I think I might be ok.

Thanks again, Matt.

nice one mate, still waiting on my contract to come through which is taking its time due to them migrating their HR but i emailed them about it taking a while to come through yesterday and they emailed me back saying that it is taking time to come through due to their hr moving and stuff but assured me that my place was guaranteed as all my checks had come back ok, did you get your contract yet?
Original post by deaneuk
Anyone starting 14th November at Leeds?

Hey Buddy

I'm starting in Leeds on the 14th, have you had your contract through yet?
I'm starting at Leicester on the 14th, I haven't had my contract through yet. They're moving all their HR at the moment and I was told that was the reason for the delay in the contract being sent through
Hello.
Does anyone have an assessment on 3rd November in Dartford?
Original post by RunnerRunner
Hey Buddy

I'm starting in Leeds on the 14th, have you had your contract through yet?

Alright,

Yeh got it through yesterday had a quick read and signed all parts. What date was your assessment mine was 11th Oct just a couple week back. Looking forward to it?
Original post by deaneuk
Alright,

Yeh got it through yesterday had a quick read and signed all parts. What date was your assessment mine was 11th Oct just a couple week back. Looking forward to it?

Do you get contract by email?
Do you get contract by email?

Yeh, I don't know about anyone else. Did everyone else get their contract via email?
Original post by deaneuk
Yeh, I don't know about anyone else. Did everyone else get their contract via email?

I am still waiting. Its been 4 weeks since job offer. Hopefully soon.
Reply 1495
Original post by deaneuk

My contract was emailed to me last week on Friday afternoon.
Anyone else starting Leeds 14th November?
Hi Guys, Has anyone got an assessment day on Friday in Thatcham? Also is anyone currently applying for the role in Reigate and East Grinstead? Cheers
Original post by Matt_Norfolk
Marc. Thanks for the reply.

I will bear in mind what you have said.

For me, I just need to stay calm and I think I might be ok.

Thanks again, Matt.

It sounds more scary than it is in reality
There are three skills that BG are looking for, and they appear to rank in this order.

1: Customer Service skills.
2: Team working skills.
3: Manual skills.

It was not as I expected but from what I can gather it goes something like this.
Manual skills can be taught where the other two can't.

If you can demonstrate these skills through past experience, or on the day, you will be fine.
If you can't then you know what you have to work on.

Best of luck.

Marc
Thanks again Marc.

I've just traveled 140 miles down to Dartford and sitting in the hotel doing my last bit of reading. I like to think I'm pretty good with all of those skills but I have no wiring skills, only gas/plumbing.

I will update tomorrow evening when I'm home.

Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending